McDonald’s is known for its Big Mac, McChicken, and Filet-Fish. But a few of the secret menu is underrated. One of them is McDonald’s quarter pounder. It is nothing but a cheeseburger with a thicker beef patty. It has remained popular for quite a long time. But now you don’t need to stand in a long queue for this hearty burger as you can easily make it at home.
If you love experimenting with burgers, this cheeseburger is sure to try. We, too, had made this recipe as it was remarkable. The concoction of perfectly seasoned beef with crunchy onion, tangy mustard, and ooey-gooey cheese ruled the stage. After this burger, we, too, could not differentiate between the quarter pounder and the original one.
With this, you can realize how tasty it is. It is highly customizable. You can add any ingredients per your preferences to make it more appealing. Also, you are free to use any beef. All you have to do is follow the steps in the guide below for the exact flavors and textures.
I’m sure you won’t be able to tell which is real and which is homemade. So, go through this guide thoroughly and prepare your burger. Start with the basics and all the necessary information for the perfect burger. So, let’s get started.
Is This The Exact McDonald’s Quarter Pounder Recipe?
Yes, this is the exact recipe of the original McDonald’s quarter pounder. The ingredients used in this recipe are very similar to the original recipe. The only difference is that we haven’t used additives, preservatives, or food coloring agents.
Besides this, this homemade recipe is straightforward and flavorful. Each bite will render you a crunch of onion, cheesy, and deliciousness. Try this recipe at home and enjoy a taste of the healthy cheeseburger.
Was The McDonald’s Quarter Pounder Ever Discontinued?
Yes, McDonald’s was discontinued from December 6, 2017, to January 3, 20218, to make way for Angus beef burgers, which are a part of the signature collection. However, it was reintroduced in 2018 in selected outlets as a trial.
McDonald’s quarter pounder was introduced in 1973 by Al Bernardin. It became such a success that it was added to the national American menu in 1973. In 2013 it was expanded to represent the whole line of hamburgers that once replaced Angus beef burgers due to its high prices. While it got a significant upgrade in 2018 with fresh beef patties and was reintroduced in 2018, except Japan as a substantial menu item, and the rest is history.
Luckily, you can now avail of McDonald’s quarter pounder with cheese at $6.75 and double quarter pounder with cheese at $8.35. But, you need to regularly check the prices of McDonald’s menu near your store.
Is McDonald’s Quarter Pounder Gluten-Free?
No, McDonald’s quarter pounder is not gluten-free. It contains a gluten bun, as it is made from wheat flour. So, if you are gluten-sensitive or have celiac disease, it is best to avoid McDonald’s quarter pounder and other items on the McDonald’s menu that contain gluten. While making quarter pounder at home, swap the gluten bun with a gluten-free alternative.
However, McDonald’s offers a few gluten-free options, such as salads and certain beverages. It’s always better to check the allergen information or ask the staff for the most up-to-date and accurate information on their menu items.
Does McDonald’s Use Real Meat?
McDonald’s quarter pounder is made with 100% natural and high-quality beef. McDonald’s has said clearly that they only use genuine meat suppliers. Lopez Foods is their primary supplier of beef.
The company only uses beef that fulfills its strict quality and ethical sourcing requirements. It’s worth noting, too, that regional and governmental limitations can affect the availability of certain ingredients and the methods used for preparation.
Equipment Required For McDonald’s Quarter Pounder
- Skillet – If possible, you will need a large skillet, preferably a cast iron skillet, to grill the burger and toast the bun. You can use a regular skillet if you don’t have a cast iron one. However, the cast iron skillet heats up more evenly and gives the burger a better char.
- Knife – A large and sharp kitchen knife will help quickly chop the onions, an essential element in the quarter pounder.
- Cutting Board – A cutting board will not only be handy when you need to chop the onions but also when you have to assemble the burger.
- Metal Spatula – A metal spatula will help flip the burgers quite quickly.
- Spoons – A few regular kitchen tablespoons will work for this recipe, as this burger doesn’t need exact measurements for the sauces.
What Are The Ingredients In McDonald’s Quarter Pounder?
- Bun – This recipe will need just one sesame-seeded bun for a single burger.
- Beef Patty – A beef patty, or minced beef weighing ¼ lbs, is this burger’s star.
- American Cheese – To make this burger irresistible, we will use two slices of American cheese.
- White Onion – A single burger needs only one tablespoon of finely chopped onion. So, you can use a tiny white onion or half of it if you like.
- Dill Pickle – A quarter pounder would be complete with the classic two to three slices of dill pickles!
- Ketchup – A single tablespoon of ketchup will give this burger a tangy and sweet flavor.
- Mustard – Adding a teaspoon of mustard will help give this burger a kick of spice.
- Salt – Just ¼ teaspoon of salt will be needed to season the beef patty before it is cooked.
McDonald’s Quarter Pounder Ingredients Substitutions
- Beef – Our chef has used a patty made from ground chuck. However, feel free to make the beef patty from the combination of beef chuck, round, and sirloin. But remember one thing; your patties won’t dry out if you use ground chuck.
- Onion – We’ve used dehydrated onions in this recipe. However, fresh onions can be used instead. But it won’t give you the same taste.
- Mustard – Mustard has been used in this dish. But you can use mustard sauce or yellow American mustard to cut through the saltiness of the beef if desired.
- Cheese – We’ve used American cheese slices, but any flavorful cheese will do if you don’t have any on hand.
McDonald’s Quarter Pounder Preparation And Cooking Time
|Preparation Time||Cooking Time||Total Time|
|5 Minutes||10 Minutes||15 Minutes|
McDonald’s Quarter Pounder Recipe Steps
1. Begin With The Pre-Preps
The first step in any recipe is to get done with all the pre-preparations, as that does it and make it much easier later on. Start by finely chopping the onion and set aside a tablespoon.
You can use the leftovers for a different recipe or make a stock! Now, heat the skillet and place the bun halves in it. Once they are toasted and have a golden-colored char, take them out of the skillet and keep them aside.
2. Cook The Burger Patty
After your pre-preps, you can begin cooking the burger patty. Salt one side of the cake and place it in the hot skillet as soon as the buns are cooked. Make sure you place the salted side down and sprinkle some salt on the other side.
Cook each side for 3-4 minutes on medium heat. Once the burger is cooked correctly, place a slice of American cheese and remove the patty from the flame.
3. Assemble The Burger
Lastly, once the burger patty is cooked and the buns are toasted, you can assemble the burger. For that, add a slice of American cheese on the bottom bun and place the beef patty on top.
Add ketchup, mustard, onions, and dill pickles on the top bun. Place the top bun on the burger and close it. Enjoy your homemade quarter pounder!
Tips To Make McDonald’s Quarter Pounder Better
All of the ingredients in this dish are of top-notch quality and fresh. Still, here are several ways to make your McDonald’s quarter pounder taste even better:
- Fresh toppings like lettuce, tomato, and avocado will give your burger a new dimension of flavor and texture.
- Those fond of cheese can upgrade their quarter pounder by choosing a different kind of cheese. You can top your burger with any cheese.
- If you want to spice things up, you don’t have to go with the tried-and-tested mustard sauce. Change things up by topping them with BBQ sauce, spicy sauce, or a homemade burger sauce.
- Lightly toast the bun before assembling the burger to enhance the flavor. It will make things a little crispier and better all around.
- Caramelize some onions and use them instead of fresh or dried ones in your burgers. It will enhance the burger’s sweetness and flavor. Sautéed onions are another tasty addition.
- Try switching up the bun if you’re tired of the same old flavor and texture from your quarter-pounder.
Can You Air-Fry Your Beef Patties?
Yes, you can air-fry your beef patties for McDonald’s quarter pounder. Air-frying is popular because it uses less oil, making it a healthier option. All you have to do is to place the prepared patties in an air-fryer basket and cook them until crispy and golden brown.
How Will This McDonald’s Quarter Pounder Look And Taste?
This homemade version of McDonald’s quarter pounder resembles a regular cheeseburger. The only difference is the thickness of the beef patty. The rest of the elements in this burger are similar to the homemade and traditional burgers!
As far as its flavor and texture is concerned, it is juicy, crunchy with a chewy texture. This burger is best for those who eat meatier bites. The beef patty is perfectly seasoned and charred, pairing well with the American cheese slice. Lastly, the little bit of onion, mustard, and ketchup create an excellent balance of flavors!
Is McDonald’s Quarter Pounder Healthy?
Yes, McDonald’s quarter pounder is healthier than any other popular menu item. Its calories come from protein as it has more beef content in its patty than any different cheeseburger. If you want to know more about its nutritional value, take a look at the table below:
|Vitamin A||1137 IU|
|Vitamin C||11 mg|
If you want to build muscle and need enough protein, then a quarter-pounder is an ideal option. However, it is essential to check the nutritional menu of any item before ordering it.
How To Properly Store McDonald’s Quarter Pounder And Its Beef Patty?
If you are left with a few McDonald’s quarter pounders, store them properly. How? Here are a few pointers:
For The Quarter Pounder
- Start by taking out all the burger toppings and condiments that could make the bun soggy.
- Now, wrap the buns tightly in aluminum foil and store them in an airtight container to prevent drying.
- Store the quarter pounder for up to two days in the fridge.
To Make A Beef Patty
- If you have an uncooked beef patty, store the patties in the fridge for up to two days if you wrap them safely in plastic or aluminum foil and put them in an airtight container.
- To preserve the cooked patty in the freezer, wrap it tightly in plastic wrap, then place it in a freezer bag or airtight container for three to four months.
Ways To Reheat McDonald’s, Quarter Pounder?
Here are some suggestions for reheating a McDonald’s quarter pounder:
- To reheat the McDonald’s quarter pounder in the oven, preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit (175 degrees Celsius).
- Take away any sauces or other seasonings.
- To avoid overdrying, loosen the quarter pounder.
- Warm the burger for 10 to 15 minutes, placed on a baking pan.
- Then top it with fresh ingredients and devour it.
Air Fryer Method
- Start preheating your air fryer.
- Take away any sauces or other seasonings.
- Place the burger buns and condiments separately in an air fryer basket.
- Reheat the burger for five to eight minutes.
Reheating a quarter pounder in the microwave is not recommended since it might cause the bun to become soggy and the burger to lose some flavor and texture.
- If you insist on microwaving your burger, cover it loosely with a microwave-safe lid or paper towel to keep it from drying.
- Turn the burger over regularly with a fip for evenly heating. However, this technique will result in a mushy or squishy bun.
What To Serve With This Quarter Pounder?
We have a bunch of McDonald’s recipes you can try with the quarter pounder. Some of them are:
- McDonald’s French Fries – McDonald’s French fries are widely popular. They are must-try fires that are crispy and fresh. They are perfect with any burger, be it a quarter pounder, making it a complete meal.
- McDonald’s Chicken Nuggets – McDonald’s chicken nuggets are an instant hit when you need something juicy, crispy, and flavorful with a quarter pounder. They are so delicious you can enjoy them for the best snacking experience.
- McDonald’s Hash Browns – McDonald’s hash browns are the perfect go-to option with quarter-pounders. You can either make it at home or order from the store and make it a complete meal.
- McDonald’s Holiday Pie – McDonald’s holiday pie attracts kids the most due to its delicious look. The simple parcel of crunchy, soft, pillowy, and creamy pastry is perfect with a quarter pounder, making it a fulfilling meal.
- McDonald’s Iced Coffee – McDonald’s iced coffee is famous for its creamy texture. They pair well with any dish. This standout collection of McDonald’s is relatively easy to make.
Other Similar McDonald’s Recipes To Try
So, it was all about McDOnald’s quarter pounder. This is the recipe for the McDonald’s quarter pounder we can make at home. All you have to do is follow all the steps chronologically to achieve exact flavors and texture.
But you want to try some more McDonald’s burgers and sandwich recipes. In that case, you can check McDonald’s McRib Sandwich, McDonald’s Big Mac Recipe, McDonald’s McChicken, McDonald’s Filet-O-Fish, and McDonald’s Grilled Chicken Sandwich Recipe. Also, we’ve had a separate post about McDonald’s copycat recipes that you should check out.
McDonald’s Quarter Pounder Copycat Recipe
- Cutting Board
- Metal Spatula
- 1 no. Bun
- ¼ lb. Beef Patty
- 1 slice American Cheese
- 1 tablespoon White Onion
- 3 slices Dill Pickle
- 1 tablespoon Ketchup
- 1 tablespoon Mustard
- ¼ teasooon Salt
- Chop onions finely and keep a tablespoon aside for the burger.
- Toast the halves of the bun in the skillet until golden and toasted, then keep them aside.
- Prepare the burger patty and salt on one side, and place it in the skillet with the salted side down.
- Sprinkle salt on the top and let the burger patty cook for 3-4 minutes on each side, after which you can take it out of the skillet.
- To assemble the burger, add a slice of cheese to the bottom bun and place the burger on it.
- Add the mustard, ketchup, dill pickles, and onions on the top bun and place that on the patty to finish the burger. Enjoy your homemade Quarter pounder!
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Can the patty be cooked for a little longer?
It would be best to cook the burger for a maximum of the time mentioned, as that might dry the patty out.
Can you also add pepper to the burger patty?
Yes, you can sprinkle a dash of pepper on the burger patty if you would like.
Does this burger taste like the one from McDonald’s?
Yes, this burger does taste almost the same as the one from McDonald’s.
Is it necessary to add onions to this burger?
The onion does add a lot of flavor to the burger. However, you can skip it if you don’t like onions too much.
This homemade version of McDonald’s quarter pounder is a better burger in many ways. With a superior beef to bun ratio and limited toppings, you can really taste the meat.
Now, you don’t need to hit up a drive-in the next time you get a burger craving as this recipe is sure to hit. So, try this recipe now and don’t forget to share your views with us in the comment section. Till then, happy eating!