The famous filet-o-fish sandwich from McDonald’s is quite popular as it is light compared to other chicken burgers. It is a classic fish sandwich that features a crispy fish patty on melty cheese and topped with tartar sauce. It is all served on a soft regular bun. Since it is very delicious, we are going to tell you how it is made at home.
McDonald’s filet-o-fish made at our studio is way better than the original one. The crispy, flakey fish filet is topped with a delicious tartar sauce on cheese in between the soft and toasted buns. This is one of the best McDonald’s burgers to buy. I’m sure it will make you skip the drive-thru next time!
We have used pollock fish for the patty. But any fish will work well. Make sure to season it well, or else you won’t get the exact flavors. Besides this, you are free to choose any method to prepare the patty. In fact, you don’t have to hesitate before adding any other ingredients.
However, it will cost you some time to make fish patties at home, but it is worth the effort. So, without any further ado, let’s dive into making the delicious burger. While scrolling down the guide, you’ll find information about this recipe. These have been added to guide you throughout the process.
What's In The Post
Is This The Exact McDonald’s Filet-O-Fish Recipe?
This recipe is very close to the original one. The ingredients we’ve used are slightly different from the McDonald’s to make this fish sandwich. The key difference is, we’ve used breadcrumbs instead of flour for breading the fish filets. Also, we’ve used cod filets to make this sandwich, whereas McDonald’s has used pollock for the patty.
Besides this, McDonald’s has used coloring agents in their patties for the perfect appearance. Rest the recipe is very close to the original one. The flavors are so similar that you can’t even recognize the original one. Our chef has made it so yummy that, in fact, we too got confused between the two.
Was The Filet-O–Fish Ever Discontinued?
Yes, McDonald’s filet-o-fish was discontinued in the US on September 26, 1996. The reason behind its discontinuation was that sales plummeted to what it actually was during their weekdays due to the unavailability of vegetarian options on Friday.
McDonald’s filet-o-fish has faced a lot of ups and downs since its introduction. The only reason was ‘fish.’ Yes, in 1962, 87% of Catholics used to avoid meat on Fridays, except fish. But McDonald’s at that time wasn’t decked with the options. So it made them discontinue this sandwich.
But, Ray Kroc tied a deal with Lou Groen, the creator of filet-o-fish, to sell two non-meat burgers, Hula burger, and filet-o-fish, to see whichever sold the most. This idea was spun so that the best would be added back to the menus, and in this race, fish-o-filet won hands down.
Since then, it has become a permanent item on McDonald’s menu, especially during spring. So, grab a filet-o-fish sandwich from McDonald’s for $3 to $4. For the double filet-o-fish, you need to pay around $5 to $6. Still, we would suggest you constantly check the prices of McDonald’s menu for the best offers.
Is McDonald’s Filet-O-Fish Gluten-Free?
No, McDonald’s filet-o-fish is not gluten-free as it contains several gluten ingredients, including the bun and breaded patty. But while making at home, you can use gluten-free ingredients like potato buns or gluten-free hamburger buns. Besides this, you can also swap flour breading with breadcrumbs for the same texture.
So, if you are following a gluten-free diet, avoiding the fish-o-filet sandwich is best. However, McDonald’s has a list of gluten-free menu items on their website or in-store, so it’s better to check them out.
Equipment Required For McDonald’s Filet-O-Fish
- Bowls – Bowls are essential equipment for this recipe, and you will need two medium-sized bowls for the dry and wet coating of the cod, along with a small bowl to make your very own tartar sauce.
- Measuring Cup – To stay as true to the recipe as possible, it is better to get precise measurements of the ingredients needed, and a set of measuring cups will help achieve the same.
- Measuring Spoons – Just like precision matters for the ingredients needed in larger quantities, the same goes for measuring smaller amounts; hence, measuring spoons will be handy.
- Spoon – A regular kitchen spoon will help spread the sauce on the burger buns.
- Whisk – A total of two whisks will be needed for this recipe, one to prepare the sauce and the other to stir the eggs before dipping the cod in them.
- Large Knife – A large knife, preferably a fish knife, as it is more flexible, will help achieve clean cuts of cod fish.
- Chopping Board – A chopping board will be needed to place the fish on while cutting it into portions.
- Plate – Two large plates will be needed for this recipe, one to place the fish before frying and the other to place the fish after frying is done.
- Skillet – A large, shallow skillet will be required to fry the fish.
- Tongs – A pair of sturdy tongs will help flip the fish filets quite quickly while frying them in the skillet.
- Paper Towel – We will be laying out some paper towels on a plate before placing the fried fish filets on them, as these will absorb all the excess oil.
What Are The Ingredients In McDonald’s Filet-O-Fish?
For The Sauce:
- Mayonnaise – To make the tartar sauce for the sandwich, mayonnaise is the base and one of the main ingredients. So, ¼ cup of the same will work just fine.
- Dill Pickle Relish – A tablespoon of drained dill pickle relish will add the necessary flavor to the tartar sauce.
- Lemon Juice – About two teaspoons of fresh lemon juice will help balance out the acidity in this recipe.
For The Sandwich:
- Cod Filets – Cod filet is the hero of this recipe, and a single filet that weighs around 12 oz will work fine for this recipe.
- Panko Bread Crumbs – Panko breadcrumbs are fine and the best for frying, so we will use a cup of the same for this recipe.
- Eggs – Two large eggs will help give the wet base for this recipe before dipping the cod pieces in the panko breadcrumbs.
- Water – We will mix the eggs in a tablespoon of water to give them a slightly runny consistency.
- Canola Oil – This will be needed for frying so you can go for about 10 fluid ounces of the same for shallow frying.
- Hamburger Buns – As this recipe will give you four portions, you will need four hamburger buns for the same.
- Cheese Slices – A total of four cheese slices will make up four Filet-O-Fish sandwiches.
- Salt – Lastly, about ¾ teaspoons of salt will be added to the filet once it is fried.
McDonald’s Filet-O-Fish Ingredients Substitutions
This homemade version of McDonald’s filet-o-fish is flavorful. It is made with fresh and general ingredients. Still, if you wish to swap or want to elevate this fish sandwich, take a look at these suggestions for ingredient substitutions:
- Mayonnaise – Mayonnaise serves as the foundation of this burger and is one of the key elements in the tartar sauce for the sandwich. Therefore, 1/4 cup of the same will be fine.
- Dill Pickle Relish – To give the tartar sauce the flavor it needs, add one tablespoon of drained dill pickle relish.
- Lemon Juice – Two tablespoons of freshly squeezed lemon juice will balance the acidity.
- Cod Filets – The star of this recipe is the cod filet, and a single filet weighing about 12 oz would do just nicely.
- Eggs – Two large eggs will provide the recipe’s moist foundation before the cod pieces are coated in panko breadcrumbs.
- Cheese Slices – Four cheese slices for this recipe for a cheesy flavor.
- Water – We will combine the eggs with a tablespoon of water to give them a little runny consistency.
- Oil – You will need canola oil for frying, so use around 10 fluid ounces of the same for shallow frying.
- Hamburger Buns – Since this recipe makes four servings, you’ll need four hamburger buns to make each serving.
- Panko Bread Crumbs — We will use a cup of Panko breadcrumbs for this recipe because they are delicate and ideal for frying.
- Salt – After the fried filet, season it with half a teaspoon of salt.
McDonald’s Filet-O-Fish Preparation And Cooking Time
|Preparation Time||Cooking Time||Total Time|
|10 Minutes||10 Minutes||20 Minutes|
McDonald’s Filet-O-Fish Recipe Steps
1. Begin With Preps
The first step for any recipe, whether savory or sweet, is to begin with, the preps. For this recipe, we will be preparing the fish and making the sauce in this step. Begin with preparing the sauce by adding the mayonnaise, dill pickle relish, and lemon juice in a small bowl.
Whisk them all together and store the bowl in the refrigerator until ready to use. Next, take a cod filet and cut four portions out of it. Whisk together the eggs and the water for the wet ingredients in a separate bowl. Add panko breadcrumbs to another bowl and keep aside.
2. Fry The Fish
After all the preps are done, you can begin frying the fish. Add the canola oil to the skillet and heat it on a medium flame. If you have a thermometer, you can check the temperature of the oil, as it should not exceed 300 degrees Fahrenheit.
Now, dip the fish fillets into the egg wash, then cover them thoroughly with the panko breadcrumbs and keep them on a plate. Once the oil is hot enough, fry the fish in the skillet for about 2 minutes on each side. Once done, place them on a plate lined with a paper towel to drain off the excess oil and sprinkle with salt.
Once you are done with everything, you can assemble the sandwich. For that, slice the buns in half and place a slice of cheese on the bottom bun of each sandwich. Top the bottom bun with the fried fish filet.
Then, spread some sauce on the top bun and place it on the fish filet to finish the sandwich. Finally, your homemade Filet-O-Fish sandwich is ready to be devoured!
Tips To Make McDonald’s Filet-O-Fish Better
- As the fish may reduce in size while cooking, cut the fillets an inch or two larger than the bread.
- For your filet-o-fish sandwich, use fresh fish. Compared to frozen fish, it will add a better flavor and texture to your sandwich. Choose fish with firm, white flesh, such as cod, haddock, or pollock.
- Season the fish with salt, pepper, or other desired ingredients before breading it. It will give your sandwich an extra dimension and improve the fish’s flavor profile.
- Be sure to bread each filet of fish evenly. To make sure it sticks well, remember to press them.
- You can double-bread the fish by dredging it twice in egg wash and breadcrumbs for an additional crispy texture.
- Take advantage of the refrigerator stage after breading! Please put them in the fridge for half an hour to avoid overcooking and to help the breading stick.
- Cook the filet well until it turns golden.
- Use mayonnaise, pickles, capers, lemon juice, and herbs to make your tartar sauce.
- Lightly toast the bun before assembling it to give the sandwich’s overall texture.
- Add fresh toppings like iceberg lettuce, tomato slices, onions, and pickles to improve its texture and flavor.
- Try cheddar or Swiss cheese instead of American slices. It will go well with the fish.
Can You Air-Fry Your Fish Patties?
Yes, you can air-fry fish patties instead of frying them in oil. This method is a healthier cooking method. You can still achieve a crispy exterior. Other than this, air frying method uses less oil, leading to lower fat intake and lower calorie intake.
How Will This McDonald’s Filet-O-Fish Look And Taste?
Beating McDonald’s Filet-O-Fish is daunting but possible. The original fish sandwich consists of a breaded fish filet, a slice of processed American cheese, tartar sauce, and a soft sesame seed bun. But this homemade version is way better than this homemade one.
Our chef presented the sandwich to us; it was decked with fried and crispy patties with a golden brown exterior and melted cheese with creamy tartar sauce covering the filet.
When we tasted it, the fish filet had a mild and flak taste with a crisp and slightly salty breading. The tartar sauce has added tanginess and creaminess to the sandwich. While the American cheese lends a smooth, creamy texture and a hint of saltiness. On top of that, the bun provides a soft and slightly sweet base for all the flavors to come together.
Is McDonald’s Filet-O-Fish Healthy?
Yes, McDonald’s filet-o-fish is healthier than any other fish sandwiches out there. It is lowest in fat, sugar, and carbs. Besides this, it is a very good source of protein as most of the protein comes from the Atlantic pollock. Talking of the meat, the fish used in this recipe is 100% sourced from sustainable fisheries, which makes it completely healthy. For detailed data on its nutritional value, peak at the table below:
Also, if you are a health conscious person, then do check out why McDonald’s food is not the best for a human body
How To Properly Store Filet-O-Fish And Fish Patty?
If you’re wondering how to store McDonald’s filet-o-fish and fish patties, we’ve got you covered with these simple steps. If you plan on enjoying your sandwich later, ensuring proper refrigeration is essential. But how? Take a look at these steps:
- Step 1: Transfer the sandwich to an airtight container or wrap it properly in plastic. This simple step will help maintain its freshness and prevent unwanted moisture or air from seeping in.
- Step 2: Transfer taped sandwiches to the refrigerator for 3 to 4 days.
- Step 3: When savoring the utmost quality and delectable taste, consume this sandwich within 2 to 3 days, provided it has been stored in the refrigerator.
- Step 1: Another option is to freeze the patties individually, allowing for easy access and portioning whenever the craving strikes.
- Step 2: For this, tightly wrap the sandwich in plastic, effectively sealing its flavors and protecting it from freezer burn.
- Step 3: Place the patties in freezer-safe containers for 1 to 2 months.
- Step 4: To achieve the perfect thaw. It is recommended to transfer your frozen items to the refrigerator and allow them to thaw overnight.
Ways To Reheat McDonald’s Filet-O-Fish?
To reheat a McDonald’s filet-o-fish, try these methods:
- Preheat your conventional oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Separate the bun and patty and place it on a baking sheet or oven-safe dish.
- Cover the patties with aluminum foil to prevent them from drying out.
- Warm the bun and patty in the oven for about ten to twelve minutes until heated.
- Remove the patty and bun from the oven and let it cool slightly before enjoying.
Toaster Oven Method:
- Preheat your toaster oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Separate the bun and patty and place it on the toaster oven rack or a baking tray.
- Toast the bun and patty for approximately six to eight minutes until heated.
- Once heated, remove it from the toaster oven and allow it to cool before serving.
- Remove the bun and fish patty and place it on a microwave-safe plate to prevent sogginess.
- Microwave the patty at an interval for about 30 seconds until it is heated through. Just make sure to keep an eye on it to avoid overheating.
- Allow it to cool slightly before eating.
What To Serve With This Filet-O-Fish?
We have a bunch of McDonald’s recipes that you can try with the fish–o-filet. Some of them are:
- McDonald’s French Fries – McDonald’s French fries are widely popular. They are must-try fires that are crispy and fresh. They are perfect with any burger, be it a quarter pounder, making it a complete meal.
- McDonald’s Chicken Nuggets – McDonald’s chicken nuggets are an instant hit when you need something juicy, crispy, and flavorful with a quarter pounder. They are so delicious you can enjoy them for the best snacking experience.
- McDonald’s Hash Browns – McDonald’s hash browns are the perfect go-to option with quarter-pounders. You can either make it at home or order from the store and make it a complete meal.
- McDonald’s Holiday Pie – McDonald’s holiday pie attracts kids the most due to its appetizing look. The simple parcel of crunchy, soft, pillowy, and creamy pie is perfect with a quarter pounder, making it a fulfilling meal.
- McDonald’s Iced Coffee – McDonald’s iced coffee is very popular due to its creamy texture. They pair well with any dish. This standout collection of McDonald’s is quite easy to make.
Other Similar McDonald’s Recipes To Try
So, it was all about McDonald’s filet-o-fish. This recipe is very close to the original one. All you have to do is to follow the instructions promptly for the exact flavor. So, try this McDonald’s filet-o-fish at your home.
But if you want to try some more McDonald’s burgers and sandwiches recipes, then McDonald’s McRib Sandwich, McDonald’s Big Mac Recipe, McDonald’s Quarter Pounder Recipe, McDonald’s McChicken, and McDonald’s Grilled Chicken Sandwich are sure to try.
Also we’ve had a separate post about McDonald’s copycat recipes that you should check out.
Delicious McDonald’s Filet-O-Fish Copycat Recipe
- Large Knife
- Measuring Cup
- Measuring Spoons
- Paper Towel
- Chopping Board
For The Sauce:
- ¼ cup Mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon Dill Pickle Relish
- 2 teaspoons Lemon Juice
For The Sandwich:
- 1 Cod Filet
- 4 Cheese Slices
- 2 Eggs
- 1 tablespoon Water
- 300 ml Canola Oil
- 1 cup Panko Breadcrumbs
- 4 Hamburger Buns
- ¾ teaspoon Salt
- Mix the mayonnaise, dill pickle relish, and lemon juice in a small bowl and store in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- Slice the cod into four pieces and keep them aside.
- In a shallow bowl, mix the eggs and water and keep aside.
- In a separate bowl, add the panko breadcrumbs and keep them aside.
- Heat canola oil in a skillet over medium flame until it reaches 300 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Dip the cod slices in the eggs, shake off the excess, and coat them with the panko breadcrumbs.
- Fry the fillets in oil on each side for 2 minutes, then take them out and place them on a plate lined with paper towels to soak all the excess oil. Sprinkle salt on them.
- To assemble the burger, place a slice of cheese on each bottom bun and top them with the fish filets.
- Spread the sauce on the top bun of each sandwich and place it on the filet to complete your sandwich. Enjoy with a side of fries!
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Can you use a different type of fish to make this sandwich?
It is best to use cod for this recipe as it matches the flavor of the OG sandwich from McDonald’s the most.
Can you also add some pepper to the filet?
Yes, if you want to add some pepper for added flavor, you can use a pinch of pepper to the filet.
Is it necessary to add dill pickle relish to the sauce?
You can skip it if you want; however, it won’t taste like the version from McDonald’s.
Can potato buns be used to make this sandwich?
You can use potato buns to make this sandwich if you like.
Can vinegar be added instead of lemon juice to the sauce?
Yes, you can add the same amount of vinegar to the sauce instead of lemon juice if you would like to.
How can you test whether the oil is hot enough without a thermometer?
Drop a tiny piece of cod into the fish to check the temperature of the oil, if it has reached the optimum temperature or not.
What will happen if the oil is a bit too hot?
If the oil temperature is too high, it might overcook the fish from the outside while the inside would still be a little raw.
So, it was all about the recipe. This recipe is simple, fulfilling, and tasty. All you have to do is to go through the guide thoroughly for the exact flavors. So, if you haven’t tried it yet, try this now and share your views with us in the comment section.