McDonald’s is the iconic fast-food chain widely known for its delectable offerings, including its renowned breakfast menu. Among the various breakfast items, the item that stands out is McDonald’s hash browns. Check out our tips and tricks to make restaurant-style crispy hash brown at home.
To make hash browns, grate potatoes and fry them over low heat. Strain off the excess oil and season it with salt, pepper, and cornstarch. Shape these potatoes and freeze them for two hours. Then, fry the frozen hash browns for ten minutes again. Before you know it, crispy hash browns will be ready!
This cooking method will soften the potatoes and expand the starches on the exterior. It will also create a crispy and firm texture. Frying your hash browns twice will not let it get soggy and mushy. Instead, you get fine crisp and crunchy McDonald’s hash browns.
The most important step to making this copycat recipe is to take out the starch and moisture completely. I have shared the complete instructions on how you can do so and make perfect hash brown just like McDonald’s.
What's In The Post
Is This The Exact McDonald’s Hash Browns Recipe?
Yes, we have shared the original McDonald’s hash brown recipe that gets ready in a trice. However, we have not added the preservatives and salt, McDonald’s adds to their hash browns. Follow all the steps and get these crispy hash browns done right.
In case, some of the ingredients are not available, you can check out the list of ingredients substitution. By swapping the ingredients, the taste and flavor will not be affected.
Are Hash Browns Available All Day On The McDonald’s Menu?
No, McDonald’s hash browns are not available all day on the menu. In most McDonald’s restaurants, hash browns are part of the breakfast menu and are typically served until a designated time, which may vary by location.
McDonald’s serves a breakfast menu from 10:30 a.m. to 11 a.m. on weekdays and weekends. But on Fridays, you get an extra half an hour to pick up your breakfast.
After the designated breakfast hours, McDonald’s transitions to its regular menu, and hash browns are no longer available. However, it’s worth noting that the availability of specific items and menus can vary by region and individual restaurant policies.
Moreover, McDonald’s started to serve all-day breakfast in October 2015. However, due to a pandemic in 2020, McDonald’s stopped including an all-day breakfast menu.
Why Do McDonald’s Hash Browns Taste Different?
McDonald’s hash browns are the best selling breakfast menu item that may taste different compared to homemade or other restaurant versions for a few reasons. Check out these reasons below.
- Seasoning – McDonald’s hash browns are seasoned with a specific blend of ingredients to create their distinct flavor. This seasoning includes salt and other flavor enhancers that contribute to their unique taste.
- Cooking Method – McDonald’s hash browns are typically deep-fried, which gives them their crispy exterior. The frying process and the specific oil used in McDonald’s kitchens can contribute to the overall flavor and texture of the hash browns.
- Ingredients – McDonald’s hash browns are made using a specific recipe and combination of ingredients that also includes preservatives or stabilizers. The homemade hash browns doesn’t have preservatives added to the recipe.
- Quality – McDonald’s places a strong emphasis on quality control and consistency across its restaurants. This means that the flavor of their hash browns is carefully standardized and monitored to ensure customers have a consistent experience wherever they go.
How Are McDonald’s Hash Browns So Crispy?
There are a few reasons behind the beautiful crispy texture of McDonald’s hash browns.
Firstly, McDonald’s uses russet potatoes for their hash browns. These potatoes are chosen for their crispy exterior when cooked. They are shredded into thin pieces, which allows for more surface area to crisp up during the cooking process.
Next comes the cooking method. The oil temperature is carefully controlled to ensure the perfect level of crispiness while cooking the potatoes thoroughly.
Another secret to achieving that crispy texture lies in the seasoning. McDonald’s adds a special blend of seasonings, including salt, pepper, and other secret ingredients, to enhance the flavor and create a delicious crust.
Are McDonald’s Hash Browns Deep Fried?
Yes, McDonald’s hash browns are indeed deep-fried to achieve their crispy and golden exterior.
When McDonald’s prepares their hash browns, they follow a process called deep frying.
Deep frying involves submerging the hash browns in hot oil, allowing them to cook and become crispy. This method ensures that the hash browns are evenly cooked, creating that delightful crunch when you take a bite.
The deep-frying process ensures even cooking and creates that satisfying crunch. However, it’s important to note that deep frying should be done with caution and moderation, as excessive consumption of fried foods may not be the healthiest choice.
Are These McDonald’s Hash Browns Vegan Or Gluten Free?
McDonald’s Hash Browns are neither gluten-free nor fit for vegans. If you look at the ingredients carefully, you will find McDonald’s hash browns have natural beef flavoring, the raw potatoes, a dairy product that is milk. Quite a lot of these added ingredients, which help with the flavor of the hash browns, are not vegan or gluten-free.
So, if you are on a strict gluten-free or vegan diet, you must avoid having McDonald’s hash browns. Further, if you wish to seek more information on are McDonald’s hash browns vegan or gluten-free, then click. We have covered a detailed article on the same.
Apart from this, if you wish to make McDonald’s hash brown gluten-free or vegan, then avoid adding beef flavoring or all the gluten-free spices to the batter mix.
Equipment Required For McDonald’s Hash Browns
- Bowl – Grate the potatoes in a bowl.
- Perforated Ladle – While deep frying, use the perforated ladle. It will remove the excess oil.
- Cotton Cloth – Strain off the excess water from the potatoes by using a cotton cloth.
- Frying Pan – You can bake, roast, or grill the hash brown. However, I preferred deep frying as it yields better results.
- Grater – Finely grated potatoes will retain their shape of cooking.
- Spatula – To mix the batter properly, use a spatula.
McDonald’s Hash Browns Ingredients
- Russet Potatoes – The russet potatoes are ideally great for mashing recipes. Use thick russet potatoes to make McDonald’s hash browns.
- Corn Flour – Use corn flour to achieve crispy texture of hash brown.
- Salt – Add salt to your taste.
- Black Pepper – Season the grated potatoes with black pepper.
- Vegetable Oil – Peanut oil is rich in good fat. Deep frying the hash browns in peanut oil will result in a flavorful aroma.
McDonald’s Hash Browns Ingredients Substitutions
- Potatoes – McDonald’s hash browns are made primarily with potatoes. If you want to substitute the type of potato, you can use other starchy varieties like Russet or Yukon Gold. However, keep in mind that different potatoes may affect the texture and flavor of the final result.
- Onion – McDonald’s hash browns often contain diced onions for flavor. If you don’t have onions or prefer to omit them, you can leave them out entirely or substitute them with other aromatic vegetables like shallots or leeks. This will add a similar savory note to your hash browns.
- Salt And Pepper – Salt and pepper are basic seasonings used in McDonald’s hash browns. If you’re looking to reduce sodium or want to experiment with different flavors, you can try using alternative seasonings like garlic powder, paprika, or herbs like thyme or rosemary. Just remember to adjust the quantities to your taste.
- Vegetable Oil – McDonald’s hash browns are fried in vegetable oil to achieve their crispy texture. If you prefer to use a different type of oil, you can substitute it with canola oil, sunflower oil, or even olive oil. Keep in mind that different oils have different smoke points, so choose one that can withstand high heat without burning.
What Type Of Potatoes Should You Use For McDonald’s Hash Browns?
McDonald’s uses top-notch russet Burbank potatoes for making their signature hash browns. Russet Burbank potatoes. These potatoes are known for their high starch content, which helps create a crispy texture when fried.
Russet Burbank potatoes also have a mild flavor that compliments the seasoning used in McDonald’s hash browns. However, there are many other types of potato like russet, Yukon, or waxy potatoes that can be used for making hash browns.
How Many Potatoes Should You Use For McDonald’s Hash Browns?
The exact number of potatoes required to make McDonald’s hash browns will depend on the desired quantity and size of the hash browns. However, as a general guideline, you can start with about two-three medium-sized potatoes per serving.
This estimate can vary depending on the size of the potatoes and how thinly you shred or grate them. It’s always a good idea to adjust the quantity based on your personal preferences and the number of servings you intend to make.
Why Do You Need To Add Cornstarch To Your Hash Browns?
Adding cornstarch to hash browns will help in enhancing their texture and achieving a crispy exterior. While potatoes are the main ingredient in hash browns, they contain a relatively high moisture content. This excess moisture can make it challenging to achieve a desirable crispy texture when cooking the hash browns.
That’s when cornstarch can help you achieve the desired texture of hash browns. It acts as an absorbent and helps to draw out moisture from the grated potatoes. When you mix cornstarch with the grated potatoes, it creates a coating that helps to absorb excess moisture and form a protective barrier during cooking.
McDonald’s Hash Browns Preparation & Cooking Time
|Preparation Time||Cooking Time||Total Time|
|10 Minutes||20 Minutes||30 Minutes|
McDonald’s Hash Browns Recipes Steps
Step 1- Shred the potatoes using a grater.
Step 2- You will see the grated potatoes dipped in excess water.
Step 3- Squeeze the excess water from the shredded potatoes to achieve the perfect texture. Place the squeezed shredded potatoes on the paper towel or paper cloth.
Step 4- Further, shallow fry the grated potatoes in a saucepan to achieve the desired crispiness.
Step 5- Add a teaspoon of oil to the saucepan.
Step 6- Season the grated potatoes with a pinch of salt and black pepper.
Step 7- Finally, remove the potatoes from the pan and add all-purpose flour to bind the potatoes in form of patties.
Step 8- Form the round-shaped or oval-shaped patties. The choice is yours!
Step 9- Now deep-fry the hash brown patties until they are golden brown and cooked through.
Step 10- Your McDonald’s Hash Browns are ready.
Tips To Make McDonald’s Hash Browns Better
- Grate The Potatoes – Start by grating the potatoes. This helps create the signature shredded texture found in McDonald’s hash browns.
- Squeeze Out Excess Moisture – After grating the potatoes, place them in a clean kitchen towel or cheesecloth and squeeze out as much moisture as possible. This step is crucial for achieving crispier hash browns.
- Add Cornstarch – To replicate the texture of McDonald’s hash browns, add a tablespoon or two of cornstarch to the grated potatoes. The cornstarch helps absorb moisture and creates a crispy coating during cooking.
- Season Generously – McDonald’s hash browns have a distinct seasoning. Enhance the flavor of your homemade version by adding salt, pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder to the grated potatoes. Adjust the seasonings to your preference.
- Shape And Flatten – Shape the grated potatoes into oval or rectangular patties, similar to the shape of McDonald’s hash browns. Flatten them slightly to ensure even cooking and a consistent thickness.
- Cook In Hot Oil – Heat a generous amount of oil (vegetable or canola) in a skillet over medium-high heat. Once the oil is hot, carefully place the hash brown patties in the pan. Cook for a few minutes on each side until golden brown and crispy.
- Drain Excess Oil – Once the hash browns are cooked, transfer them to a paper towel-lined plate or wire rack to drain any excess oil. This step helps maintain their crispy texture.
- Serve Immediately – For the best experience, serve the hash browns right away while they are still hot and crispy. Enjoy them alongside your favorite breakfast items or as a delicious snack.
Does Rinsing Potatoes Help Hash Browns Crisp?
Rinsing potatoes before making hash browns can indeed help in achieving crispier results. When you rinse potatoes before making hash browns, you’re essentially removing excess starch from their surface. By rinsing the potatoes, you reduce the amount of starch on the surface, which in turn helps to promote crispiness.
To rinse the potatoes, you can simply peel and grate them as usual, and then place the grated potatoes in a colander or sieve. Rinse them under cold water, gently tossing them around, until the water runs clear. This will wash away some of the starch clinging to the potato shreds.
Once you’ve rinsed the potatoes, it’s important to drain them thoroughly and squeeze out any excess moisture. You can use a clean kitchen towel or paper towels to squeeze out the water.
After rinsing and draining, you can proceed with cooking the hash browns. The reduced starch content will help the potatoes cook more evenly and develop a crispy outer crust and tender interior.
How Will These McDonald’s Hash Browns Look And Taste?
Perfectly browned and crispy McDonald’s hash browns are delicious. The texture of hash brown is firm and crunchy. Moreover, it is crisp on the outside and melting soft from the inside.
In terms of taste, McDonald’s hash browns are savory and have a mild potato flavor. The exterior is crispy, providing a satisfying crunch when you take a bite. The inside is tender and has a soft texture.
Is McDonald’s Hash Browns Healthy?
McDonald’s hash brown is the best snack option but not healthy. It is enjoyed in moderation as part of a balanced diet. Check out the nutritional values of restaurant-style hash browns in the table below.
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|
How To Store These McDonald’s Hash Browns Properly?
Check out some of the best options to store these McDonald’s hash browns below.
- Airtight Container – Transfer the hash browns into an airtight container. This helps maintain their freshness and prevents them from absorbing any odors from the refrigerator.
- Layer With Parchment Paper – If you’re storing multiple hash browns, consider layering them with parchment paper to prevent them from sticking together. This makes it easier to separate individual pieces when you want to reheat them.
- Refrigerate – Place the airtight container with the hash browns in the refrigerator as soon as possible. Refrigeration helps slow down bacterial growth and extends their shelf life.
- Consume Within A Day Or Two – Hash browns are best enjoyed fresh, so try to consume them within 2-3 days of refrigeration for optimal taste and texture. After this time, they may start to lose their crispness.
How To Reheat McDonald’s Hash Browns Properly?
- Set your oven to a temperature of around 350 degrees Fahrenheit (175 degrees Celsius) and let it preheat. This will ensure even heating of the hash browns.
- Next, take a baking sheet or tray and line it with aluminum foil or parchment paper. This will prevent the hash browns from sticking.
- Lay the hash browns flat on the baking sheet, making sure they are not overlapping. If you have a lot of hash browns, you may need to use multiple baking sheets.
- After the initial heating time, check the hash browns for crispiness. If they are not crispy enough, you can leave them in the oven for a few more minutes. Keep a close eye on them to avoid burning.
What To Serve With McDonald’s Hash Browns?
- Eggs – Hash browns and eggs make a classic combination. You can serve your hash browns with scrambled eggs, fried eggs, or even an omelette. The savory taste of the eggs goes well with the crispy texture of the hash browns.
- Bacon Or Sausage – Adding bacon or sausage to your plate can make it more satisfying. The salty and flavorful taste of these meats pairs nicely with the crispy hash browns.
- Bread – Bread is a good addition to your hash browns. You can have a slice of toast on the side or make a breakfast sandwich by placing the hash browns between two slices of bread.
- Fresh Fruits – If you prefer a lighter option, consider serving your hash browns with fresh fruits such as sliced oranges, berries, or a fruit salad. The freshness and natural sweetness of the fruits can balance the richness of the hash browns.
Other McDonald’s Breakfast Recipes To Try
Apart from McDonald’s hash browns, we have covered a long list of famous and easy McDonald’s recipes on our website. Follow the recipe guide and incorporate the restaurant-style flavors at home with us. You can also explore other McDonald’s breakfast recipes like McDonald’s McGriddle, McDonald’s breakfast bagel, McDonald’s Breakfast Sauce, McDonald’s breakfast burritos, and McDonald’s egg McMuffin.
McDonald’s Hash Browns Recipe
- Perforated Ladle
- Cotton Cloth
- Frying Pan
- 300 g Russet Potatoes
- 3 tablespoon Kosher Salt
- 1 tablespoon Corn Starch
- ¼ teaspoon Black Pepper
- Peanut Oil (For Frying)
- Shred the potatoes using a grater.
- You will see the grated potatoes dipped in excess water
- Squeeze the excess water from the shredded potatoes to achieve perfect texture. Place the squeezed shredded potatoes on the paper towel or paper cloth.
- Further, shallow fry the grated potatoes in a saucepan to achieve the desired crispiness.
- Add a teaspoon of oil to the saucepan.
- Season the grated potatoes with a pinch of salt and black pepper.
- Finally, remove the potatoes from the pan and add all-purpose flour to bind the potatoes in form of patties.
- Form the round-shaped or oval-shaped patties. The choice is yours!
- Now deep-fry the hash brown patties until they are golden-brown and cooked through.
- Your McDonald’s Hash Browns are ready.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Are McDonald’s hash browns vegetarian?
Yes, McDonald’s hash browns are typically vegetarian. They are made from shredded potatoes, vegetable oil, and seasonings. However, it’s always a good idea to check with the specific McDonald’s location or consult their ingredient information for variations.
Are McDonald’s hash browns gluten-free?
No, McDonald’s hash browns are not considered gluten-free. They contain wheat derivatives, including natural beef flavorings and hydrolyzed wheat. Therefore, individuals with gluten sensitivities or celiac disease should avoid consuming them.
Are McDonald’s hash browns vegan?
While the main ingredients of McDonald’s hash browns are plant-based, they are cooked in the same oil as other menu items that contain animal products. Therefore, they may come into contact with traces of animal ingredients, making them unsuitable for strict vegans.
Can you freeze McDonald’s hash browns?
It is not recommended to freeze McDonald’s hash browns, as they may lose their crispy texture, some individuals have successfully frozen and reheated them at home. However, the quality and taste may be slightly compromised.
I have done my part. Now, it’s your turn to make these crispy hash browns at your home. Make sure to tell your experience in the comments section below. Also, mention any suggestions or queries you might have. I’ll be happy to help you. Till then, happy eating!