Are you a big fan of McDonald’s hash browns? If yes, then you will be super pleased to prepare McDonald’s hash brown at home. ChlebowskiIt, a great chef, firmly believed that once you know how and why of cooking, you become a better cook. So, let’s get into the real details of cooking McDonald’s hash browns at home.
To make Hash Browns, grate potatoes and fry them over low heat. Strain off the excess oil and season it with salt, pepper, and cornstarch. Shape these potatoes and freeze them for 2 hours. Then, fry the frozen hash browns for 10 minutes again. Before you know it, crispy hash browns will be ready!
This cooking method will soften the potatoes and expand the starches on the exterior. It will also create a crispy and firm texture. Frying your hash browns twice will not let it get soggy and mushy. Instead, you get fine crisp and crunchy McDonald’s hash browns.
The most important step to making this copycat recipe is to take out the starch and moisture completely. I have shared the complete instructions on how you can do so and make perfect hash brown just like McDonald’s. But before getting the instructions, check out our other copycat recipes below.
1. McDonald’s Egg McMuffin – McDonald’s egg McMuffin is one of the most-loved breakfast sandwiches. To make McDonald’s Egg McMuffin, all you need is a handful of ingredients. t has melty cheese and Canadian flavorful bacon sausage topped with a poached egg.
2. McDonald’s Tartar Sauce – McDonald’s tartar sauce is one of those sauces that is paired with fried snacks or nuggets. Making the tartar sauce is a child’s play.
3. McDonald’s Holiday Pie – McDonald’s holiday pie is a small parcel of crumbly, crispy, and creamy holiday pie. It tastes delightful and prepared in no time. Glazed with sprinkles the holiday pie looks appetizing and delicious.
4. McDonald’s McGriddle – McDonald’s McGriddle with bacon sausage, a brick of folded egg, and slices of American cheese is a full-fledged morning breakfast. The sweet flavor is perfectly paired well with the sausage.
What Equipment Will You Need To Make McDonald’s Hash Browns?
- Bowl – Grate the potatoes in a bowl.
- Perforated Ladle – While deep frying, use the perforated ladle. It will remove the excess oil.
- Cotton Cloth – Strain off the excess water from the potatoes by using a cotton cloth.
- Frying Pan – You can bake, roast, or grill the hash brown. However, I preferred deep frying as it yields better results.
- Grater – Finely grated potatoes will retain their shape of cooking.
- Spatula – To mix the batter properly, use a spatula.
How Much Time Will You Need To Make McDonald’s Hash Browns?
|Preparation Time||Resting Time||Cooking Time||Total Time|
|10 Minutes||2 Hours||20 Minutes||2 Hours 30 Minutes|
What Ingredients Will You Need To Make McDonald’s Hash Browns?
- Russet Potatoes – The russet potatoes are ideally great for mashing recipes. Use thick russet potatoes to make Mcdonald’s hash browns.
- Cornstarch – Use cornstarch or cornflour for the crisp texture of hash brown.
- Salt – Add salt to your taste.
- Black Pepper – Season the grated potatoes with black pepper.
- Peanut Oil – Peanut oil is rich in good fat. Deep frying the hash browns in peanut oil will result in a flavorful aroma.
Steps To Make McDonald’s Hash Browns
Take russet potatoes, grate them nicely. Wring the cloth and strain off the excess water from potatoes. Put them on a dry cloth and let them dry for a minute. Then, fry the grated potatoes over medium heat. This will soften the potatoes and expand the starches on the exterior. Strain off the excess oil and then, in a bowl, add grated potatoes, salt, black pepper, and cornstarch. Mix it well with a spatula.
Now give your potato mixture the shape of hash browns with the help of a small bowl. Gently, press your hash browns with your hand. Put it in the refrigerator to achieve a firm structure. After an hour, take out the hash browns and put them in a skillet to deep fry. You can deep-fry, shallow-fry, or simply bake them. I chose to deep fry as it yields a better and crispy texture.
How Will McDonald’s Hash BrownsTaste And Look Like?
Perfectly browned and crispy McDonald’s hash browns are delicious. The texture of hash brown is firm and crunchy. Moreover, it is crisp on the outside and melting soft from the inside.
McDonald’s Hash Browns Recipe
- 300 g Russet Potatoes
- 3 tbsp Kosher Salt
- 1 tbsp Corn Starch
- ¼ tsp Black Pepper
- Peanut Oil
- Peel the potatoes, wash, and at last grate them. Then take a cotton cloth, wring it to strain off the excess water. Let it dry for a minute.
- Moving forward, take a bowl, add grated potatoes, cornstarch, salt, and black pepper. Mix it together with a spatula.
- Give your potato mixture the shape of hash browns and put it in the refrigerator for 2 hours.
- Take it out after 2 hours and deep-fry the hash brown in peanut oil. Flip the hash brown halfway through, cooking for 4 to 5 minutes per side until they’re golden brown and crispy
- Serve hot and crispy copycat McDonald’s hash browns.
I have done my part. Now, it’s your turn to make these crispy hash browns at your home. Make sure to tell your experience in the comments section below. Also, mention any suggestions or queries you might have. I’ll be happy to help you. Till then, happy eating!