McDonald’s McChicken is one of the best McDonald’s burgers that can be found all over the world. I’ve shared the complete recipe with you so that you can make it at home. It may seem simple, but the McChicken is a complex sandwich that takes years of practice to perfect. So, take advantage of this recipe and give this recipe a try.
To make McDonald’s McChicken, season the chicken breast with spices. Coat each piece with egg mixture and breadcrumbs. Pound the meat with a meat mallet to thicken it. Fry the chicken until golden brown and crispy. Next, spread mayonnaise on the bottom of the hamburger buns. Add a layer of lettuce, followed by the chicken patty on top. Finally, cut the sandwich in half and enjoy!
If you want to take your McChicken to the next level, try adding some cornflakes to the breading mixture, for a crispy coating. You can also add some cayenne pepper to the mayonnaise for a bit of spice.
Below is a full-proof recipe of McDonald’s McChicken. Don’t forget to bookmark the steps, ingredients list, and equipment details. Also, go through all the facts and other information related to McDonald’s McChicken given below.
What's In The Post
Is This The Exact McDonald’s McChicken Recipe?
This recipe for McDonald’s McChicken is very close to the original recipe. However, the only difference you may find between the two is that we use no additives, preservatives, or flavor enhancers in our recipe.
Other than this, we’ve added mustard sauce in mayonnaise, whereas in McDonald’s McChicken, no mustard sauce is added. Whatever be the difference, the overall flavor profile is as wonderful as the original one.
Was The McChicken Ever Discontinued?
The McChicken sandwich was introduced in 1980 by McDonald’s, but its sales were quite disappointing. That is why Chicken McNuggets replaced it. But later, in 1988, it was reintroduced following the success of McNuggets.
McChicken didn’t promise sales, and yet again, it was removed from the menus in the United States on September 26, 1996, and was replaced with the Crispy Chicken Deluxe. McChicken has a separate fanbase. Keeping this in mind, McDonald’s got it back in late 1997.
Is McDonald’s McChicken Gluten-Free?
No, McDonald’s McChicken is not gluten-free as it contains wheat in most of its ingredients, which is not at all good for gluten intolerants. However, it would be far better if you skip the ingredients that contains wheat and opt for gluten-free ingredients for the recipe.
Also, it is highly recommended to consult with the manager at McDonald’s or refer to their allergen information to ensure you are well-versed with the updated information regarding gluten-free options. If you want something gluten-free from McDonald’s, then go for McDonald’s gluten-free option.
Is McChicken Chicken Patty Halal?
There have rounds of questions if McDonald’s Halal in 2023? You would be glad to know that, all the chicken sandwiches and McNuggets are made from manually de-boned chicken breast meat. No additives or preservatives are added during any stage of preparation. They use 100% certified white meat chicken for McChicken. You can check Halal certificate on their website.
Equipment Required For McDonald’s McChicken
- Frying Pan – Fry the seasoned and coated chicken breast in a frying pan until golden brown and crispy.
- Mixing Bowls – Prepare the egg and mayonnaise in the mixing bowls.
- Knife – Shred the lettuce and sliced the chicken breast with a knife for the recipe.
- Chopping Board – Slice the breast and shred the lettuce on a chopping board for fine cutting.
- Food Processor – Blend chicken breats, egg, cornstarch, and salt in a food processor until it forms coarse crumbs.
- Slotted Spoon – Flip the chicken breast while frying with a slotted spoon.
- Paper Towel – Remove excess oil from the fried chicken breast with a paper towel.
- Plate – Transfer the fried chicken to a plate containing a paper towel.
What Are The Ingredients In McDonald’s McChicken?
For Chicken Sandwich
- Canola Oil – Deep fry your seasoned meat in canola oil, as it has a high smoking point which is a plus for making fried dishes.
- Hamburger Buns – Use hamburger buns as they are far more filling than slices of bread and tend to make sandwiches more appealing.
For Chicken Patty
- Chicken Breasts – Use high-quality chicken breasts to ensure that your chicken is juicy and flavorful.
- Salt – Season chicken breast with a pinch of salt to bring out natural flavors.
- Ground Black Pepper – Season the meat with black pepper to add heat.
- Paprika – Paprika will add bright red color and mild flavor to the chicken, making it perfect with a hint of mild sweetness.
For Chicken Batter
- Egg – Whisk eggs in a bowl which will work as a binder, adding moisture to the chicken patties.
- Mustard Sauce – Mustard sauce will add a strong and pungent flavor to the patties. It is ideal for sandwiches, hamburgers, and hot dogs.
- Water – Pour water in the batter to mix all the ingredients well until a smooth and dense mixture is obtained.
- Flour – Refined flour is used to prepare a batter for breading. It will help make the chicken crispy and tender.
- Garlic Powder – Garlic powder will add a pungent aroma to the chicken.
- Onion Powder – Onion powder is one of the best and easy choices to add flavor and aroma to the recipe, making chicken tender.
- Black Pepper – Sprinkle black pepper in the egg mixture to add a spicy kick.
- Salt – Salt will suppress the bitterness, bringing the natural flavors of the sandwich.
For Special Sauce
- Mayonnaise – Use mayonnaise to make a creamy and flavorful base for the special sauce.
- Onion Powder – Onion powder will add sweet flavors to the sauce.
- Mustard Sauce – Mustard sauce will add a bit of spicy flavor, keeping the mayonnaise stable.
- Iceberg Lettuce – I’ve used shredded sprig of iceberg lettuce to add sweetness to the burger, giving a crunchy and juicy bite.
McDonald’s McChicken Ingredients Substitutions
You may find the ingredients our chef used to make this burger easily near your stores. Still, if you cannot find any, look for these substitutions mentioned below:
- Chicken Patty – Use a pre-made chicken patty to save time. You can also try breaded chicken cutlets instead of patties. Besides this, try a vegetarian/vegan chicken substitute for a meatless option.
- Bun – The McChicken contains a plain hamburger bun beside the chicken patty. You can also use a whole wheat bun, brioche bun, or lettuce wrap as a base for an innovative flavor.
- Mayonnaise – McDonald’s McChicken usually comes with mayonnaise. It might be possible you don’t want it. So, don’t worry; omit it or use Greek yogurt, hummus, or a light salad dressing like ranch or Caesar.
- Lettuce – Lettuce is another significant part of McChicken as it adds crunchiness. If you want to add flavors, swap it with romaine lettuce, spinach, or arugula.
- Pickles – Besides the essential ingredients, you can add a tangy flavor to the McChicken with pickles. But if you don’t want them, replace them with sliced dehydrated veggies for a refreshing twist.
- Seasonings And Spices – There are endless options to experiment with seasonings and spices. Add yellow mustard for a tart-and-tangy flavor, cornflakes for a crispy coating, or cayenne pepper to add spice.
McDonald’s McChicken Preparation And Cooking Time
|Preparation Time||Cooking Time||Total Time|
|20 Minutes||25 Minutes||45 Minutes|
Steps To Make McDonald’s McChicken
1. Let’s Do It
To make McDonald’s McChicken, cut the chicken breast into slices. Once done, start preparing the chicken patty.
For this, put slices of chicken breasts on a plate: drizzle mustard, garlic powder, and onion powder. Sprinkle salt, pepper, and paprika over the meat.
Transfer the seasoned chicken breast to a zip-lock bag. Shake it until well coated. Now using a mallet, pound the chicken to thicken it.
In a bowl, combine mayonnaise, mustard sauce, and garlic powder. Mix it until well combined and keep it aside. Next, shred the lettuce with a knife for the stuffing.
2. Coat The Chicken
In a bowl, whisk one egg and add black pepper and salt. In another bowl, throw panko breadcrumbs.
Immerse the chicken breast in egg mixture, then coat the meat in breadcrumbs until well coated.
3. Fry The Chicken
Once you are done with the preparation work, fry the chicken.
For this, add two tablespoons of oil to a frying pan. Once heated, using a slotted spoon, fry the seasoned and coated chicken breast.
Flip the side after 5 minutes or until golden brown. Fry the other side for 3 minutes over medium-low heat.
Remove the breast from the pan, transfer it to a plate, and remove excess oil using a paper towel.
4. Get It Together
To assemble, take two hamburger buns, prepared sauce, shredded lettuce, and crispy chicken.
Slice the bun in half, and apply prepared mayo sauce on the bottom slice of the bun. Put a generous amount of lettuce on the sauce.
Place the crispy chicken breast on top and cover it with the other slice. Serve it with a bottle of coke and enjoy the crispy chicken sandwich.
Tips To Make McDonald’s McChicken Better
Making McDonald’s McChicken is tasty on its own. But if you want to make it interesting and more flavorful, here are some tips. These tips elevate the taste, making it tastier than the original recipe.
- Double Coating – To make the crispy filet, single coating is necessary. But, to make it crisper and tastier, double-coating the chicken filets in a buttermilk mixture or any other marinade is recommended. You must coat the pre-coated filet with the buttermilk or marinade and then back into the coating mixture. This method is way better than the traditional one.
- Flour – Since we’ve used flour to coat the filet, you can also try panko breadcrumbs to create a lighter and crunchier texture. Other than this, go for gluten-free options.
- Don’t Overcrowd The Pan – Whether opting for the deep-frying method, roasting method, or baking method, make sure your pan is not overcrowded, or it will result in soggy chicken.
- Resting Time – After cooking, let the chicken filet rest on a wire rack for a few minutes to allow any excess oil to drain, which can help maintain crispiness.
Can You Air-Fry Your Chicken Patties?
Yes, you can air-fry chicken patties for your homemade McChicken sandwiches. It is generally adopted nowadays as it will yield a crispy exterior and a tender interior. It is a healthier option as it requires little or no oil, resulting in a lighter, less greasy sandwich.
How Will This McDonald’s McChicken Look And Taste Like?
McDonald’s McChicken is crispy with savory chicken, refreshing from lettuce, and creamy with mayonnaise. It’s hard to beat that original taste. But this recipe is no less than the original one.
It has a crispy chicken patty, toasted bun, refreshing lettuce, and creamy and sweet sauce. The chicken patty adds a mild and savory flavor with a crispy and slightly salty coating. At the same time, the hamburger buns are soft and filling.
The fresh lettuce adds a refreshing and contrasting taste to the sandwich. While the mayonnaise adds a creamy and slightly tangy element, enhancing the overall flavor profile. This McDonald’s McChicken is sure to try at home.
Is McDonald’s McChicken Healthy?
No, McDonald’s McChicken is not healthy. No one can literally resist McDonald’s meals, and McChicken is one of them. It consists of warm deep-fried, and crispy chicken topped with refreshing shredded lettuce and creamy mayo and packed with a soft hamburger bun.
However, the occasional consumption of fast food is not bad, but it should be done in moderation. So, prioritize cooking at home and making healthier choices for overall health and well-being. But the question that arises here is, Why is McDonalds Food Bad for Your Body? To know about it, check out the information and change your lifestyle and look for a healthier option.
|Saturated Fat||3.5 g|
How To Properly Store McChicken Sandwich And Chicken Patty?
McDonald’s McChicken is at its best when prepared immediately. However, proper storage is mandatory if you plan on consuming it at a later time. You can prepare the sandwich immediately and have it available whenever you like. However, specific rules must be followed if you want your McChicken to taste crisp and fresh. Some of them are:
- Refrigeration – Wrap your sandwich or chicken patty tightly in plastic wrap and refrigerate it for three to four days. Ensure the container is tightly sealed to keep air and moisture from the cake.
- Freezing – Store your McChicken or chicken patty in the freezer-safe bag for a month. Keep your fridge at or below 40 degrees Fahrenheit (or 4 degrees Celsius).
Ways To Reheat McDonald’s McChicken?
There are various ways to reheat a McDonald’s McChicken sandwich. One of them is the oven. To reheat this sandwich, preheat the oven to 350°F. Then, reheat the chicken sandwich on a baking tray for about 5 to 10 minutes.
You can also use the microwave to preheat the sandwich. For this, preheat your chicken patty and sandwich in the microwave and reheat the ingredients at intervals of 15 to 30 to ensure even heating.
Other than this, reheat the McChicken sandwich on the stovetop. Toast the bun lightly for a few minutes in a pan. Flip the sandwich and cook for a few more minutes until heated and enjoy your sandwich.
What To Serve With This McChicken Chicken Sandwich?
McDonald’s McChicken itself is fulfilling. Its ingredients are enough to satisfy your craving. Still, I’ve jotted down the options if you want to serve something with a McChicken chicken sandwich. Below are various side dishes complemented best with the sandwich and provide a well-rounded meal. Here are some options:
- McDonald’s French Fries – McDonald’s French fries are a classic pairing with a McChicken sandwich. You can either make them at home or opt for store-bought ones.
- McDonald’s Chicken Nuggets – McDonald’s chicken nuggets and the McChicken sandwich perfectly complements each other as they share same flavor and texture.
- McDonald’s Hash Browns – McDonald’s Hash Browns and the McChicken sandwich are two separate menu items, but pairing them together will yield a satisfying meal. Hash Browns have a crispy exterior and a soft, fluffy interior, while the McChicken offers a crispy chicken patty and a soft bun.
- McDonald’s Holiday Pie – McDonald’s holiday pie, a dessert option with a flaky crust and creamy filling, can be enjoyed with McDonald’s McChicken.
- McDonald’s Strawberry Cream Pie – McDonald’s strawberry cream pie and McDonald’s McChicken are traditionally not paired as they both possess different flavors and textures. But serving it with McChicken will provide you a fulfilling meal with sweet and savory tastes.
Other Similar McDonald’s Recipes To Try
So, we’ve reached the end of this recipe. Now you don’t need to hop at the outlet for McDonald’s McChicken! This recipe is very close to the original recipe of McChicken.
But if you want to try some more McDonald’s burgers and sandwiches, we’ve covered various recipes like McDonald’s McRib Sandwich, McDonald’s Big Mac Recipe, McDonald’s Quarter Pounder Recipe, McDonald’s Filet-O-Fish, and McDonald’s Grilled Chicken Sandwich Recipe. We also have a post on delicious McDonald’s recipes that you should check out!
McDonald’s McChicken Recipe
- Frying Pan
- Food Processor
- Mixing Bowls
- Chopping Board
- Slotted Spoon
- Paper Towel
- 2 cups Canola Oil (for frying)
- 1 packet Hamburger Buns
For Chicken Patty
- 3 Chicken Breasts
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Ground Black Pepper
- 1 teaspoon Paprika
For Chicken Batter
- 1 Egg
- 1 tablespoon Mustard Sauce
- ½ cup Water
- 1 cup Flour
- ½ teaspoon Onion Powder
- ½ teaspoon Garlic Powder
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- ½ teaspoon Black Pepper
For Special Sauce
- 1 cup Mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon Mustard Sauce
- ½ tablespoon Onion Powder
- 1 sprig Iceberg Lettuce (shredded)
- To make McDonald’s McChicken, cut the chicken breast into slices.
- Prepare the chicken patties by drizzling mustard, garlic powder, and onion powder over the chicken. Sprinkle salt, pepper, and paprika over the meat.
- Transfer the seasoned chicken breast to a zip-lock bag. Shake it until well coated. Now using a mallet, pound the chicken to thicken it.
- In a bowl, combine mayonnaise, mustard sauce, and garlic powder. Mix it until well combined and keep it aside.
- Next, shred the lettuce with a knife for the stuffing.
- In a bowl, whisk one egg and add black pepper and salt. In another bowl, throw panko breadcrumbs.
- Immerse the chicken breast in egg mixture, then coat the meat in breadcrumbs until well coated.
- Heat two tablespoons of oil in a frying pan. Using a slotted spoon, fry the seasoned and coated chicken breast.
- Flip the side after 5 minutes or until golden brown-fry the other side for 3 minutes over medium-low heat.
- Remove the breast from the pan, transfer it to a plate, and remove excess oil using a paper towel.
- To assemble, take two hamburger buns, prepared sauce, shredded lettuce, and crispy chicken.
- Slice the bun in half, apply mayo sauce on the bottom slice of the bun, and put a generous amount of lettuce on the sauce.
- Place the crispy chicken breast on top and cover it with the top slice.
- Serve it with a bottle of coke and enjoy the crispy chicken sandwich.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What is the difference between a McDonald’s McChicken with mayo and a McDonald’s McChicken without mayo?
The main difference between a McDonald’s McChicken with mayonnaise and a McDonald’s McChicken without mayonnaise is the calorie content. A sandwich with mayonnaise has 510 calories, while a sandwich without has 430 calories.
The carbohydrate content is one gram higher in a sandwich with mayonnaise, while the protein content is one gram higher in a sandwich without mayonnaise.
How to cook McChicken?
The McChicken consists of a small patty with a thin breaded and seasoned layer. It will take 3 minutes in the fryer or 5 minutes in the frying pan to cook the patties. It is then topped with mayo sauce and lettuce.
Which sauce is used on a McChicken sandwich?
McChicken sandwich is topped with mayo. If you go deep down, you will notice that it is “mayonnaise dressing.” It is not just mayonnaise but rather the inclusion of thickeners like xanthan gum.
Is the McChicken fried or grilled?
McChicken consists of deep-fried, crusted chicken topped with crunchy shredded lettuce and creamy mayo and finished with a soft white bun.
McDonald’s McChicken sandwich is a popular menu item that is made with chicken that is both fried and grilled. The sandwich can be ordered in either a regular or deluxe version, and there are several different ways to order it.
The McChicken sandwich is a good choice for those looking for a quick and easy meal, and it is also a good option for those on a budget.