McDonald’s cinnamon melts were highly appreciated when they were available. This McDonald’s breakfast menu is warm, fluffy, light, and sweet. But, when prepared at home, it’s way better than the original one. It’s perfect when you want something fun and different for breakfast or brunch.
This homemade version of cinnamon melts and has the best flavor and texture. This copycat recipe is a traditional treat that you can quickly adapt. This copycat McDonald’s prepared by our chef turned out even better than you could find directly from the restaurants.
If you want to enjoy these melts fresh, consume these sweet treats when they are fresh from the oven. While making these melts, our chef advised us to add the cinnamon slowly. He specifically mentioned adding cinnamon little by little. The reason is, it’s strong, warm, and sweet flavors which can easily overpower the overall flavor of the cinnamelts.
So, go through this guide and prepare these pastries as instructed below. We have the inside scoop on how to make McDonald’s cinnamon melts at home. Keep reading to learn more. With this guide, you can make your McDonald’s cinnamon melt in no time.
Is This The Exact McDonald’s Cinnamon Melts Recipe?
Yes, this is the exact McDonald’s cinnamon melts recipe prepared by our chef. It’s a sweet and savory pastry with a light and airy texture. It is the perfect blend of cinnamon and cream cheese.
Above all, we have used basic ingredients for these pillowy melts. However, unlike McDonald’s, we haven’t used additives, preservatives, or flavor enhancers.
Does McDonald’s Still Serve Cinnamon Melts?
No, McDonald’s doesn’t serve cinnamon melts now. They stopped selling these melts in the year 2016. The reason is not justified till now. However, experts claim that customers were leaving them out during the pandemic, and McDonald’s had to shorten the menu, so they planned to drop them off.
McDonald’s also claimed it was becoming more challenging for the fast-food chain to keep up with its lengthy production. Due to the discontinuation of menu items, many have turned to making their version at home.
Is McDonald’s Cinnamon Melts Vegan Free?
McDonald’s cinnamon melts are not considered vegan. They contain dairy products, such as milk or cream, in their recipe. So, checking the information beforehand is essential if you are on a strict vegan diet or have dietary restrictions. Besides this, you can check out McDonald’s Vegan-free menu, which is specially prepared, keeping your dietary choices in mind.
Is McDonald’s Cinnamon Melts Gluten-Free?
McDonald’s cinnamon melts are not considered gluten-free as they contain wheat flour in the dough, which contains gluten. So, if you are gluten intolerant or following a gluten-free diet, it’s essential to be cautious with cinnamelts or look for McDonald’s gluten-free menu. However, if you are making them at home, go for gluten-free flour without derailing your diet.
Equipment Required To Make McDonald’s Cinnamon Melts
- Oven – Bake the melts in the oven for twelve to fifteen minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Microwave-Safe Bowl – Use a microwave-safe bowl for melting the butter before warming the milk to make it easier to heat the mixture and prevent scorching.
- Muffin Tin – Prepare the cinnamon melts using muffin tins.
- Pizza Cutter – Use a pizza cutter to cut the dough into rows and columns, measuring each piece about one inch wide by one and a half inches long.
- Rolling Pin – Roll the dough with a rolling pin on a flat surface.
- Cooking Spray – Spray your muffin tins with the cooking spray to prevent these melts from sticking.
- Mixing Bowl – Prepare the glaze and cinnamon filling in separate mixing bowls.
- Measuring Cup – Measure the ingredients in measuring cups for the best flavors.
McDonald’s Cinnamon Melts Ingredients
For Cinnamon Melts Dough
- Milk – Pour lukewarm milk while making the dough; it will give a richer flavor and brown easily when baked.
- Eggs – Add eggs to help the dough rise, giving the roll a golden interior.
- Butter – Melt the butter in a pan before adding it to the milk. It will help ensure the milk doesn’t curdle when added to the melted butter. It will add an extra boost of moisture.
- Yeast – Yeast will make the dough rise, providing flavor.
- All-Purpose Flour – Use all-purpose flour for making the rolls, yielding a slightly wetter dough.
- Granulated Sugar – Aside from adding sweetness, granulated sugar will help make the roll browner and crisper by absorbing moisture in the dough.
- Salt – Salt will add taste and flavor, tightening the dough and adding strength to your dough.
For Cinnamon Filling
- Butter – Butter will add flavor and richness to a recipe, producing a more desirable texture.
- Cinnamon – Cinnamon will add a warm, fragrant, and distinctly spicy flavor to the filling.
- Brown Sugar – Sugar will help add sweetness to the filling.
- Butter – Soften the butter (not melted) and add to a glaze for a nutty flavor and richness.
- Cream Cheese – Softened cream cheese will add the right tinge of tang to a sweet buttercream frosting.
- Vanilla Extract – Vanilla extract will add a chalky flavor to the glaze.
- Salt – Salt will create a unique glaze, leaving it matte. The result is a piece with an active, complex surface.
- Powdered Sugar – Powdered sugar will help stabilize the glaze and acts as a preservative against spoilage.
McDonald’s Cinnamon Melts Ingredients Substitutions
The ingredients used in this recipe are quite simple and readily available. Still, if you can’t find any of them, go for these substitutes:
For Cinnamon Melts Dough
- Milk – Whole milk is ideal to make cinnamelts dough. But, buttermilk, half-and-half, or heavy cream will also work well without affecting its texture.
- Eggs – If you are running out of eggs, use a mixture of vinegar and baking soda in dough.
- Butter – Instead of using cubed butter, use margarine, vegetable shortening, or yogurt to add richness and structure.
- Yeast – If you don’t have yeast handy, try combining baking soda and lemon juice.
- All-Purpose Flour – All-purpose flour is ideal for making the rolls. But bread flour will help raise the dough better.
- Granulated Sugar – Granulated sugar is fine, but brown sugar will yield a crisper and brown-y crust.
For Cinnamon Filling
- Butter – You can substitute butter with vegetable oil in the filling.
- Brown Sugar – Caster sugar and granulated sugar can be used instead of brown sugar to sweeten the filling.
- Butter – Margarine, vegetable shortening, vegetable oil, or any nut butter can be used instead of butter in a glaze.
- Cream Cheese – Use sour cream or Greek yogurt instead of softened cream cheese in a glaze.
- Vanilla Extract – Vanilla extract is fine. But, don’t hesitate to experiment with any other flavor like almond.
- Powdered Sugar – Use granulated sugar instead of powdered sugar to make a great glaze.
McDonald’s Cinnamon Melts Preparation And Cooking Time
|Preparation Time||Cooking Time||Total Time|
|20 Minutes||30 Minutes||50 Minutes|
McDonald’s Cinnamon Melts Recipe Steps
1. For Cinnamon Melts Dough
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. In a microwave-safe bowl, warm your milk for 1-1 ½ minutes until the milk is lukewarm. Melt the butter simultaneously for the dough, filling, and glaze.
Once the milk is warmed, pour it into the mixing bowl. Add granulated sugar, salt, and yeast. Mix with a spatula to combine and allow it to sit for 5 minutes.
Add whisked eggs and melted butter to the bowl and stir the mixture to combine. Now slowly add all-purpose flour and mix until the dough forms a ball.
2. Roll The Dough And Fill The Filling
Roll the prepared dough on a flat surface with a rolling pin. Add a layer of 1/3 softened butter, and then sprinkle brown sugar and cinnamon.
Spread the cinnamon mixture with a spatula to cover the top of your dough evenly.
Cut the dough into rows and columns using a pizza cutter, measuring each piece about 1 inch wide by 1 ½ inches long. Spray your muffin tins with cooking spray.
Roll each piece of dough containing filling into a mini roll. Transfer them to the muffin tins, allow them to rest for 1-1 ½ hours, and let them rise.
3. Bake And Glaze
Once the dough has risen about double the size, place it in the preheated oven and bake it for 12-15 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Let’s move on to the last step, i.e., glazing. Add softened butter, cream cheese, vanilla extract, salt, and powdered sugar in a bowl. Stir the mixture to combine well.
Drizzle this cream cheese frosting on top of your cinnamon melts and serve hot.
Tips To Make McDonald’s Cinnamon Melts Better
If you want to make homemade cinnamon melts that resemble or even surpass the taste of McDonald’s Cinnamon Melts, here are some tips to enhance the flavor and texture of your cinnamon treats:
- Dough – Use a rich buttery dough for a tender and flavorful base.
- Cinnamon Sugar Filling – Create a well-balanced and flavorful cinnamon sugar mixture for a more complex taste.
- Butter Brushing – After baking the melts, brush the hot cinnamon melts with melted butter. It will add shine, richness, and a delicious buttery flavor to the rolls.
- Cream Cheese – These homemade McDonald’s cinnamon melts are served with cream cheese icing. So, make a simple cream cheese icing by combining softened cream cheese, powdered sugar, vanilla extract, and a little milk or cream to achieve the desired consistency.
- Consistency – Try to make the roll with a consistent thickness and shape. It will ensure even baking and a more attractive presentation.
- Rising Time – Allow the cinnamon dough to rise adequately for a light and airy texture.
- Freshness – Enjoy the cinnamon melts while they’re still warm and fresh out of the oven.
- Experiment – Feel free to experiment with additional flavors, such as a hint of nutmeg, orange zest, or chopped nuts to your liking.
- Baking Time – Keep a close eye on the baking time to prevent overcooking. They are best when they are soft and slightly gooey in the center.
- Serve Warm – If you’re making the cinnamon melts ahead of time, warm them in the oven for a few minutes before serving to regain their softness and freshness.
How Will These Cinnamon Melts Look And Taste Like?
It may sound indulgent, but these homemade McDonald’s cinnamon melts are surprisingly light and airy. They are the perfect balance of sweet and savory and will indeed become your new favorite breakfast item.
This McDonald’s breakfast menu item has a golden-brown color on the outside, while the inside is soft and fluffy. Once baked, a slightly glossy appearance will force you to have more. These homemade cinnamon melts are soft, tender, and slightly gooey with a delicate, pillowy texture.
We guarantee its enticing and sweet smell is irresistible. You will want more when the combination of cinnamon and buttery dough is served with a dollop of cream icing.
McDonald’s Cinnamon Melts Nutritional Values
Unfortunately, McDonald’s cinnamon melts are not healthy. It contains more than 1000 calories, which is not considered safe if you are watching out for your diet. We have created a list of nutritional values that will help you out in figuring out why McDonald’s food is bad for your body.
|Vitamin A||249.9 iu|
|Vitamin C||0.39 mg|
How To Store These McDonald’s Cinnamon Melts?
To store homemade cinnamon melts, follow these steps to keep them fresh:
- Cool Completely – Allow the freshly prepared cinnamon melts to cool completely after baking.
- Store In An Airtight Container – Place the cooled cinnamon melts in an airtight container. If stored in the refrigerator, they will typically last up to one to two days.
- Freezing – If you don’t plan to consume all the cinnamon melts within a couple of days, you can freeze them for longer storage. Place the cooled cinnamon melts in a freezer-safe container and freeze them for up to two to three months.
How To Reheat McDonald’s Cinnamon Melts?
There are various ways to reheat homemade McDonald’s cinnamon melts. Some of them are:
- Place the cinnamon melts on a microwave-safe plate. Make sure to leave some space between them for even heating.
- Lightly dampen a paper towel and cover the cinnamon melts with it.
- Microwave the cinnamon melts on medium power (50%) for about 15 to 30 seconds.
- Check the cinnamon melts after the initial time and continue to heat in short intervals until they are warm and soft.
- Preheat your oven to a low temperature, around 250°F (120°C).
- Place the cinnamon melts on a baking sheet or oven-safe dish. If you prefer a soft and gooey texture, lightly brush the tops with butter or water before reheating.
- Cover the cinnamon melts loosely with aluminum foil to prevent them from drying out.
- Please place it in the preheated oven and warm the cinnamon melts for about 5 to 10 minutes or until they are heated through and soft.
What To Serve With McDonald’s Cinnamon Melts?
You can serve many recipes with McDonald’s cinnamon melts. Some of them are-
- McDonald’s McGriddle – McDonald’s McGriddle is a delicious griddle burger sandwich made with fresh patties and veggies. Pairing it with cinnamates will make it a complete meal and satiate your cravings.
- McDonald’s Hash Browns – McDonald’s hash browns are a popular choice to pair with cinnamon melts due to their contrasting flavors. Your morning will be filled with a delicious and fulfilling breakfast when paired.
- McDonald’s Chicken Nuggets – McDonald’s chicken nuggets are crispy and flavorful. Pairing it with cinnamon melts will take your breakfast to the next level. The contrasting flavors will fill you up.
- McDonald’s Iced Coffee – McDonald’s iced coffee is very popular due to its creamy texture. They pair well with any dish. This standout collection of McDonald’s is quite easy to make.
- McDonald’s Mocha Frappe – McDonald’s mocha frappe pairs perfectly with these melts as it has sweet coffee flavors with a creamy texture. It serves up the rich, satisfying taste of chocolate and coffee.
- McDonald’s Sweet Tea – For those who prefer a chilled beverage during hot summer days, a cup of sweet tea can be an excellent accompaniment, balancing the melts’ sweetness.
Other McDonald’s Recipes To Try
So, it was all about the homemade version of McDonald’s cinnamon melts. We can make the exact recipe from McDonald’s at your home.
But if you want to try some more McDonald’s recipes, try McDonald’s Southwest Salad, McDonald’s Chicken Wrap, McDonald’s Oatmeal Recipe, and McDonald’s Breakfast Bagel Recipe. Besides this, we’ve had a separate post about McDonald’s copycat recipes that you should check out.
McDonald’s Cinnamon Melts Copycat Recipe
- Microwave Safe Bowl
- Muffin Tin
- Cooking Spray
- Mixing Bowl
- Measuring Cup
- Pizza Cutter
- Rolling Pin
For Cinnamon Melts Dough
- 1 cup Milk
- 2 Large Eggs
- ½ cup Butter (softened)
- 2 tablespoons Yeast
- 5 cups All-Purpose Flour
- ½ cup Granulated Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Salt
For Cinnamon Filling
- ½ cup Butter (softened)
- 1 tablespoon Cinnamon
- ½ cup Brown Sugar
- ¼ cup Butter (softened)
- 4 oz Cream Cheese (softened)
- ½ teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- ⅛ teaspoon Salt
- 2 cups Powdered Sugar
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, warm your milk for 1-1 ½ minutes until the milk is lukewarm.
- Melt the butter simultaneously for the dough, filling, and glaze.
- Once the milk is warmed, pour it into the mixing bowl.
- Add granulated sugar, salt, and yeast. Mix with a spatula to combine and allow it to sit for 5 minutes.
- Add whisked eggs and melted butter to the bowl and stir the mixture to combine.
- Slowly add all-purpose flour and mix until the dough forms a ball.
- Roll the prepared dough on a flat surface with a rolling pin. Add a layer of 1/3 softened butter, and then sprinkle brown sugar and cinnamon.
- Spread the cinnamon mixture with a spatula to cover the top of your dough evenly.
- Cut the dough into rows and columns using a pizza cutter, measuring each piece about 1 inch wide by 1 ½ inch long.
- Spray your muffin tins with cooking spray. Roll each piece of dough containing filling into a mini roll.
- Transfer them to the muffin tins, rest for 1-1 ½ hours, and let them rise.
- Once the dough has risen to about double the size, place it in the preheated oven and bake it for 12-15 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Add softened butter, cream cheese, vanilla extract, salt, and powdered sugar in a bowl. Stir the mixture to combine well.
- Drizzle this cream cheese frosting on top of your cinnamon melts and serve hot.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What are McDonald’s cinnamon melts?
Cinnamon melts are a sweet, cinnamon-flavored treat from McDonald’s. They consist of a soft, cinnamon-flavored center surrounded by a crispy shell.
How to make McDonald’s cinnamon melt?
McDonald’s cinnamon melts are made with a blend of flour, sugar, butter, eggs, and cinnamon. The dough is then fried until golden brown and crispy.
What kind of glazing is done on McDonald’s cinnamon melts?
Cinnamon roll at McDonald’s is served warm and loaded with cinnamon layered with buttery and flaky pastry dough drizzled with a delicious cream cheese icing. It pairs best with Premium Roast Coffee.
Where can I get them?
Cinnamon melts are available at all McDonald’s restaurants nationwide.
How much do they cost?
Cinnamon melts cost $1.19 for a single serving or $2.39 for a double serving.
McDonald’s cinnamon melts are a sweet, cinnamon-flavored treat made with a blend of flour, sugar, butter, eggs, and cinnamon.
Making McDonald’s cinnamon melts at home is easy and only requires a few simple ingredients. You can create a delicious treat perfect for any occasion with just a few ingredients.