Did you know about McDonald’s BTS menu? As its name suggests, the BTS band brought this meal to the menu containing chicken nuggets, fries, coke, sweet chili, and Cajun sauce. However, you can find this meal now, but surely you can recreate it at home. So, today we’ll play the Cajun seasoning even better.
This sauce is versatile and easy to make. This homemade Cajun sauce has a smooth and velvety texture. The bold cajun flavors will dominate the dish’s taste, whether serving it with French fries, chicken nuggets, or burgers. We loved this sauce for how tasty it was.
All you must do is mix everything and put it in the refrigerator. We chilled it for at least an hour for the flavors to meld. Let the sauce chill before adjusting any flavors because the taste will change when the flavors develop in the refrigerator.
This signature from McDonald’s menu has come a long way since its introduction. This sauce is relatively easy to make. So, without further ado, read this guide and go ahead. This guide is here to help you through the process.
What's In The Post
Can You Buy The Cajun Sauce Separately
Call it ‘BTS special dipping sauce,’ the Cajun sauce is a creamy and smooth sauce that goes well with chicken nuggets, fries, and burgers. But, unfortunately, you can not buy Cajun sauce separately.
You need to order the sauce with any nugget meal, even if the BTS meal is not available. But it may vary by location. So, it’s better to check the outlet menu near you.
It’s a good thing to have this recipe handy. Now, you can make your favorite cajun sauce and enjoy it anytime, anywhere.
Is This Exact McDonald’s Cajun Sauce?
Our version of the cajun sauce is very close to the original McDonald’s cajun seasoning. The recipe is easy and identical, and the homemade version has the same ingredients as McDonald’s.
The homemade version might differ slightly, but this sauce has a nice texture. So, if you can’t find the cajun seasoning at McDonald’s, whip up a big bowl at home. No one will be able to tell the difference between the two, and this way; you’ll always have it.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe?
- Easy – This creamy cajun sauce is straightforward to make. It requires no time to prepare, and no cooking is required.
- Flavorful – This homemade McDonald’s Cajun sauce has a spicy flavor and creamy texture.
- Readily Available Ingredients – You can easily find all the ingredients in this recipe in your pantry. There is no need to roam outside to acquire the components.
- Versatile – This recipe is universal, meaning you can add whatever you feel like into this Cajun dipping sauce! Serve it as a dip for shrimp, spread it on crab cakes or baked fish, or use it in a classic burger or a turkey sandwich.
Does Cajun Sauce Have Mayonnaise?
No, McDonald’s cajun sauce doesn’t contain mayonnaise. Instead, it is made with vegetable oil, vinegar, tomato paste, modified cornstarch, spices, and seasoning. However, add mayonnaise to make your cajun sauce thick and smooth.
Many think that mayonnaise is added since this sauce is creamy and tangy. But, despite the speculation, McDonald’s cajun seasoning doesn’t contain mayonnaise. The creaminess comes from the tomato pasta, while the tanginess comes from the vinegar and mustard.
Equipment Used To Make The Cajun Sauce?
- Mixing Bowl – You will need a mixing bowl to combine all ingredients.
- Spoon – Use a spoon to mix the ingredients thoroughly and create a smooth sauce.
McDonald’s Cajun Sauce Ingredients
- Tomato Paste – We’ve added tomato pasta to provide a creamy and smooth base for the cajun sauce. It will also add a tangy and slightly sweet flavor to balance the sauce’s spiciness. You can use store-bought or homemade tomato paste.
- Lemon Juice – Adding lemon juice to Cajun sauce will enhance its flavor and refresh its tanginess. It will brighten the taste profile, balancing the sauce’s richness and adding a zesty kick.
- Vinegar – This Cajun sauce calls for vinegar to provide acidity and tanginess to the sauce.
- Dijon Mustard – Add a few teaspoons of Dijon mustard for a sharp and tangy taste, enhancing the overall flavor profile.
- Paprika – Add a touch of paprika to give the sauce its characteristic red color and a mild smoky flavor.
- Garlic Powder – Adds a savory and aromatic taste to the sauce by adding a few teaspoons of garlic powder.
- Onion Powder – Onion powder will add a hint of onion flavor without the texture of real onions.
- Cayenne Pepper – Add cayenne pepper or ground chili powder according to your taste preferences for extra heat.
- Sugar – Mix the ingredients with some sugar to achieve sweetness.
- Salt – Season the sauce with salt and balance the flavors.
- Pepper – Add a touch of boldness to the sauce by adding black pepper.
McDonald’s Cajun Sauce Ingredients Substitutions
The ingredients used in this recipe are essential. Still, prefer these alternatives if you want to change or need the listed ingredients. These substitutes will help you achieve a similar flavor profile. Here are some ingredient substitutions for Cajun sauce:
- Mayonnaise – If you don’t have mayonnaise or want a healthier alternative, you can use Greek yogurt or sour cream. You can also go for gluten-free mayo if you wish.
- Tomato Paste – To replace tomato paste, you can use ketchup to achieve a similar sweet and tangy flavor.
- Dijon Mustard – Use any type of mustard, such as yellow or spicy brown, as a substitute. The flavor may vary slightly, but it will still add a tangy element.
- Paprika – Smoked paprika can be used instead of regular paprika to add a smoky flavor to the sauce.
- Seasonings – If you don’t have onion and garlic powder, use freshly minced garlic and finely chopped onions. Just sauté them in some oil until soft and let them cool before adding to the sauce.
- Cayenne Pepper – If you want to omit cayenne pepper but still desire some heat, consider using a pinch of ground black pepper or a dash of your favorite hot seasoning blend.
McDonald’s Cajun Sauce Preparation Time
McDonald’s Cajun Sauce Recipe Steps
1. It’s One-Step Process
In a bowl, combine two tablespoons each of tomato paste, lemon juice, vinegar, and Dijon mustard. Then, add a teaspoon of onion powder, garlic powder, smoked paprika, and cayenne pepper. Season it with a pinch of sugar, salt, and pepper, then combine everything with a spoon.
Enjoy immediately or transfer to a jar and put a lid on top. Leftovers will last for 1 week in the fridge.
Is McDonald’s Cajun Sauce Gluten-Free?
Luckily, McDonald’s cajun sauce is gluten-free. Based on the information on their website, it doesn’t contain any gluten-containing ingredients. However, it’s essential to check the information before you consume it.
Additionally, suppose you are ordering the sauce at a McDonald’s restaurant. In that case, you can inquire about the ingredients and possible allergens directly with the staff to ensure that it meets your dietary requirements. If you are gluten intolerant or following a gluten-free diet, it’s best to check the McDonald’s gluten-free menu.
Is McDonald’s Cajun Sauce Vegan-Free?
McDonald’s cajun sauce is not suitable for individuals following a vegan diet because it contains animal-based ingredients. Hence, it is deemed unsuitable for anyone adhering to a vegan diet.
However, if you are preparing a homemade cajun sauce, it is possible to create a version that is free of animal-derived ingredients, without derailing a vegan diet. In addition, it is necessary to inquire from the staff in order to ascertain whether the option under consideration is in accordance with one’s dietary preferences. If one is seeking an alternative, go for vegan-free menu items.
Is McDonald’s Cajun Sauce Keto-Friendly?
The McDonald’s cajun sauce is unsuitable for individuals following a vegan diet because it includes animal-based ingredients. If you are preparing a homemade cajun sauce, creating a version free from animal-derived ingredients is possible without derailing your vegan diet.
In addition, it is mandatory to seek information from the manager at McDonald’s to know about this sauce. If one is seeking an alternative, it is advisable to choose the keto-friendly menu.
What Does Cajun Sauce Look And Taste Like?
Recreating Cajun sauce is not easy but flavorful. Incorporating mayonnaise gave this sauce a luxurious smoothness. The tomato paste, vinegar, and Dijon mustard outshine the richness while adding their own distinct flavors.
The smokey flavor goes wonderfully with the peppery heat provided by the cayenne pepper and paprika in this sauce. Also, my homemade cajun sauce is just as silky and creamy as the McDonald’s brand. So, remember to try this homemade version.
McDonald’s Cajun Sauce Nutritional Facts
McDonald’s Cajun sauce is unhealthy as there are 140 calories in this sauce. As said, excess of everything is terrible, so the key is moderation. Enjoying McDonald’s Cajun sauce as an occasional treat can be a part of a balanced diet. Still, if you need any assistance with the nutritional information, take a look at the table below:
Suppose you need clarification about the nutritional content of the sauce or its suitability for your dietary needs. In that case, it’s always a good idea to check the official McDonald’s website or contact their customer service for detailed information on nutritional value.
Where Can You Use This Cajun Sauce?
Cajun sauce is one of the best McDonald’s sauces to try. You can use this sauce in burgers, salads, fries, and many more. We’ve mentioned a few of the options where you can use this sauce.
- McDonald’s Chicken Wrap – Spread the sauce on your favorite McDonald’s chicken wrap to add a creamy and tangy element that complements the flavors.
- McDonald’s French Fries – If you’re in the mood for a breakfast-inspired snack, dip your fries in the breakfast sauce for a unique and tasty combination. The creamy and tangy sauce pairs surprisingly well with the crispy fries.
- McDonald’s Chicken Nuggets – Dunk the restaurant-style McDonald’s chicken nuggets into creamy and zesty breakfast sauce.
- McDonald’s McChicken Recipe – Spread the ketchup sauce on your McChicken to add a sweet and tangy element to your chicken sandwich. You can either omit mustard sauce or add another layer of this sauce.
- McDonald’s Breakfast Burritos – McDonald’s breakfast burritos are wrapped with healthy and flavorful components. Adding a pinch of sweetness and tanginess and the creamy, zesty, and crunchy burrito flavors will relish your day.
- McDonald’s Big Mac – McDonald’s Big Mac is a famous double cheeseburger known for its classic flavored patties. You can spread the sauce on your favorite Big Mac and enjoy your meal.
How to Store This Cajun Sauce Properly?
McDonald’s uses preservatives to preserve the sauce. But we haven’t added any preservatives. Therefore, to store Cajun sauce properly and ensure its freshness and safety, follow these guidelines:
- After preparing the Cajun sauce, transfer it to an airtight container to prevent air and moisture. Then, store the container in the refrigerator for 5 to 7 days.
- If you have a large batch of Cajun sauce and don’t think you’ll consume it within a week, consider freezing it in smaller portions. Place the sauce in a freezer-safe, airtight container or freezer bag. Leave room for expansion as the sauce freezes and stores for up to 3 months. Before using frozen sauce, thaw it in the refrigerator overnight.
Other McDonald’s Sauce That You Can Try Too
So, it was all about the Cajun sauce recipe that we can use at your home. But you want to try some more McDonald’s sauces at your home. In that case, we have also written the copycat recipes of McDonald’s Habanero Sauce, McDonald’s Hot Fudge Sauce, McDonald’s Honey Mustard Sauce, McDonald’s Szechuan Sauce, and McDonald’s Sweet And Sour Sauce. Also, we’ve made other McDonald’s copycat recipes that you can check out.
McDonald’s Cajun Sauce Recipe
- Mixing Bowl
- 2 cups Tomato Paste
- 2 cups Lemon Juice
- 2 cups Vinegar
- 2 cups Dijon Mustard
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1 teaspoon Onion Powder
- 1 teaspoon Paprika
- 1 teaspoon Cayenne Powder
- ½ teaspoon Sugar
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- ½ teaspoon Black Pepper
- In a bowl, combine two tablespoons each of tomato paste, lemon juice, vinegar, and Dijon mustard.
- Then, add a teaspoon of onion powder, garlic powder, smoked paprika, and cayenne pepper.
- Season with a pinch of sugar, salt, and pepper, then combine everything with a spoon.
- Enjoy immediately or transfer to a jar and put a lid on top. Leftovers will last for 1 week in the fridge.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Is Cajun sauce the same as hot sauce?
No, Cajun sauce is not the same as hot sauce. While both can be spicy, Cajun sauce has a more complex flavor profile with a mixture of spices, herbs, and sometimes even vegetables, whereas hot sauce is primarily focused on delivering heat through chili peppers.
How spicy is Cajun sauce?
Cajun sauce can vary in spiciness, depending on the recipe and the amount of cayenne pepper or other spicy ingredients used. Some versions can be quite hot, while others might be milder and more balanced in terms of flavor and heat.
How do I adjust the spiciness of Cajun sauce?
You can adjust the spiciness of Cajun sauce by limiting the amount of cayenne pepper or other spicy ingredients you add. Start with a smaller amount if you’re sensitive to heat and gradually increase it until you achieve your desired level of spiciness.
How should Cajun sauce be stored?
Cajun sauce should be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator. This will help maintain its flavor and freshness for a longer period.
This homemade version of McDonald’s Cajun sauce is a flavorful and spicy condiment that can be prepared within a few minutes. It’s versatile and can be used as a marinade, dipping sauce, or flavor enhancer.
So, if you haven’t tried this recipe yet, go through this guide thoroughly. Also, don’t forget to share your views with us in the comment section. Till then, happy eating.