You must have tried various salad recipes. But have you tried Jamie Oliver’s coleslaw yet? No? This salad recipe is a vibrant combination of crispy cabbage, crunchy veggies, and tangy dressing. It tasted perfect when we tested this light, flavorful, and oh-so-delicious recipe.
This coleslaw recipe is a perfect pocket recipe, especially during the summer. It is way more tastier than the traditional salad. It is decked with fresh and lively flavors, and you won’t believe how easy it is to prepare. All you have to do is to follow our top tips to get the right flavors.
This coleslaw is perfect, but playing with the ingredients will pay you off. You can top your salad with roast lamb or pork slices. However, Jamie Oliver kept this recipe simple as it is teamed with top-notch ingredients.
So, salad lovers! Are you ready to take your salad to the next level? If yes, then don’t wait any longer. Jazz up your day with this creamy Jamie Oliver coleslaw salad through this guide. It will help you get the right flavors. Go through the recipe steps, note the ingredients, and learn more about this recipe from here.
What's In The Post
Is This The Exact Jamie Oliver Coleslaw Recipe?
Yes, this is the exact Jamie Oliver coleslaw recipe. We’ve followed the recipe step-by-step as the legend asked in his recipe. The result is a classic, creamy coleslaw that is filled with flavors.
Jamie Oliver is known for his technique; all his recipes are remarkable. Talking of this recipe, it is full of fresh and nutritious ingredients. Our chef Jasbir incorporated new elements into this recipe, which is refreshing. You won’t believe how easy it is to make.
How Jamie Oliver’s Coleslaw Is Different From Regular Coleslaw?
Jamie Oliver’s coleslaw is unbeatable. The crunchy and refreshing veggies are dressed with tangy yet creamy dressing made with yogurt. But when it comes to the regular coleslaw, it is dressed with mayo-based or vinegar based dressing, which is generally not healthy.
Jamie Oliver’s coleslaw is primarily made with white cabbage. In contrast, the regular bowl is made with a combination of red and green cabbage. On top of that, Jamie Oliver emphasizes using fresh ingredients. On the other hand, some recipes call for coleslaw mix available at grocery stores.
Why You’ll Love This Jamie Oliver Coleslaw Recipe
Jamie Oliver coleslaw is a well-known cabbage salad that is relatively easy to make. It is dressed in a simple creamy dressing, making it tangy, sweet, crunchy, and creamy at the same time. In short, it’s delicious! Besides this, there are a few more reasons to love this recipe. I’ve discussed some of them below:
- Fresh And Vibrant Flavors – This homemade Jamie Oliver’s coleslaw recipe is decked with fresh and vibrant flavors. The crunchy vegetables, tangy dressing, and adding herbs and spices yield a refreshing and flavorful coleslaw that is a delight to the palate.
- Lighter And Healthier Option – This recipe is light, healthy, and perfect for a side dish.
- Versatile And Customizable – The best thing about this recipe is that it is versatile and can be customized per your taste preferences. You can swap vegetables to your liking, add various spices or make them healthier.
- Bright And Colorful Presentation – The colorful combination of crunchy cabbage, sweet carrots, radishes, and fresh herbs, creates a visually appealing coleslaw.
- Easy And Quick To Prepare – This coleslaw recipe needs no cooking or doesn’t require extensive preparation or cooking time. With simple slicing, grating, and mixing, you can quickly have a fresh and delicious coleslaw ready.
Difference Between Coleslaw And Slaw
Coleslaw and slaw are generally used interchangeably. However, coleslaw and slaw are two separate dishes. Coleslaw features cabbage, while slaw does not contain cabbage. Though it is a minor difference, it tastes very different.
Other than this, the dressing used in coleslaw is made with mayonnaise or yogurt-based sauce, while the dressing for the slaw can be any dressing. Coleslaw is slightly sweet, while slaw can be sweet, tangy, or savory.
Last but not least, coleslaw has a delicate and soft texture due to cabbage, while the surface of slaw highly depends on how it is prepared.
What’s The Dressing Made Of Jamie Oliver Coleslaw?
Jamie Oliver’s coleslaw dressing is made by mixing freshly squeezed lemon juice, a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil, a cup of yogurt, and a few spoons of mustard. Don’t forget to add chopped herb leaves.
We, too, had made this dressing with the same ingredients. This dressing resulted in the right balance of sweet, tangy, creamy, and peppery.
Equipment For Jamie Oliver Coleslaw
- Mandolin Slicer – Shred beetroot, carrots, radishes, and fennel with the help of a mandolin slicer.
- Bowls – Combine all the dressing ingredients in a bowl. While preparing the veggies in a separate bowl.
- Knife – Use a sharp knife to chop shallots, celeriac, and cabbage for the coleslaw.
Jamie Oliver Coleslaw Ingredients
For The Salad
- Beetroot – Okay! So, beetroot adds a nice color. Also, they are a good source of nutrients, fiber, and Vitamin A.
- Carrots – For colorful coleslaw, carrots are a must. Use shredded carrots.
- Red Cabbage – Take red cabbage for the coleslaw to add bolder and peppery flavor.
- White Cabbage – We have used white cabbage to add sweet and mild flavor to the coleslaw.
- Radishes – For zesty, spicy flavors, add shredded radishes. They add a nice crunch to the coleslaw.
- Fennel – Fennel enhances the flavor of the coleslaw. Add a trimmed fennel bulb to the coleslaw.
- Celery – Add shredded raw celery for nutty and refreshing flavors. They are perfect for salad recipes.
- Onion – We’ll add chopped onions to the coleslaw for the savory flavors.
- Shallots – Add shallots for a sweet taste with a hint of sharpness.
- Parsley – This recipe uses parsley for garnishing to add refreshness.
For The Dressing
- Olive Oil: Make a dressing with olive oil for a healthy coleslaw.
- Yogurt: Yogurt adds a creamy texture and a nice tang to the coleslaw.
- Lime Juice: Add an extra kick of tanginess with lime juice.
- Mustard: For a strong, pungent taste, add mustard.
- Salt – Season the coleslaw with a pinch of salt.
- Black Pepper – A dash of black pepper to season the coleslaw is perfect.
Jamie Oliver Coleslaw Ingredients Substitutions
- Cabbage – Substitute the regular cabbage with a bag of cabbage mix or any slaw.
- Yogurt – If you don’t have yogurt or prefer a different salad dressing, you can substitute it with sour cream or mayonnaise. Both will impart a velvety texture and a robust flavor to the sauce.
- Lemon Juice – Use white wine vinegar, apple cider vinegar, or rice vinegar instead of lemon juice. It will impart an acidic flavor to the dressing.
- Vegetables – You can add additional vegetables to this homemade coleslaw recipe by Jamie Oliver. But if you want to make it more appealing, you can choose the vegetables based on your preferences or what you have in your pantry. You can also include fruits or seeds to improve the flavor and texture.
What Is The Part Of Cabbage That We Use For Jamie Oliver Coleslaw?
In Jamie Oliver’s coleslaw recipe, cabbage head is used. This part provides a good texture and flavor. In Jamie Oliver’s coleslaw recipe, white cabbage is used. You will need to remove the outer leaves and rigid core.
However, you can use any cabbage for coleslaw. Some of them include green cabbage, which has a mild flavor, and red cabbage, which adds vibrant color and a slightly peppery taste. Remember to wash the cabbage leaves thoroughly before slicing to remove any dirt or impurities for the best texture and flavor in your coleslaw.
Jamie Oliver Coleslaw Preparation Time
|Preparation Time||Cooking Time||Total Time|
|10 Minutes||10 Minutes||20 Minutes|
Jamie Oliver Coleslaw Recipe Steps
Step 1- Shred beetroot with a mandolin slicer in a bowl.
Step 2- For the dressing, add a cup of yogurt to a bowl with a drizzle of olive oil.
Step 3- Combine mustard sauce, lemon juice, black pepper, and salt.
Step 4- Mix the dressing ingredients well with a whisk.
Step 5- In another bowl, add chopped carrots and red cabbage.
Step 6- Next, add shredded radishes to the bowl.
Step 7- Now is the time for white cabbage.
Step 8- Moving forward, add chopped fennel and celeriac.
Step 9- Chop onion finely and add them too.
Step 10- Combine shredded beetroot with the veggies.
Step 11- Drizzle the dressing over the vegetables and coat them well.
Step 12- Season it with salt and pepper, and your Jamie Oliver’s coleslaw is ready to serve
Tips To Make Jamie Oliver Coleslaw Better
This coleslaw by Jamie Oliver is colorful and flavorful. It is made with cabbage and a tart vinaigrette dressing. But as said, the more you experiment, the better it is. So, consider elevating its taste with these suggestions:
- In addition to cabbage which is the primary ingredient in coleslaw, add any vegetables, fruits, or seeds to the salad. It will give the coleslaw color, texture, and flavor.
- Please skimp on celery seeds; they add depth and complexity.
- In addition to its simple dressing, add a hint of flavor with honey or maple syrup. Add a tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce or a splash of hot sauce for a spicy kick.
- This coleslaw should ideally be served chilled. Therefore, allow the coleslaw to rest in the refrigerator for at least half an hour.
- Don’t add sugar to the coleslaw, as the sweetness of the cabbage and vegetables is sufficient. However, if you want to add sweetness, mix it with the dressing.
Is Jamie Oliver Coleslaw Better If Cooked Overnight?
Freshly made coleslaw is way more crunchiest and creamiest than cooked overnight. The reason is that the longer it sits, the more liquid is released from the shredded cabbage, making the salad wet and soggy.
You can prep the veggies beforehand and store them undressed in the refrigerator, but making the coleslaw overnight could be better. Besides this, it is advised to let this salad sit for at least two to four hours before serving rather than keeping it overnight.
How Will This Coleslaw Look And Taste Like?
Beating Jamie Oliver’s coleslaw is challenging but accessible. Our chef made this recipe, resulting in a super crunchy and creamy salad. The salad was packed with refreshing and seasonal veggies, adding a nice color to the salad.
When we tasted it, we were taken aback. The taste of this coleslaw was exceptional. It was a bit spicy, savory, sweet, and tangy. I would love to pair it with the sandwiches. So, go ahead and try this slaw.
Jamie Oliver Coleslaw Nutritional Values
Jamie Oliver’s coleslaw is very healthy, made with fresh and nutritious ingredients. It helps improve immunity, detoxifies the body, and provides Vitamin K. It can be a part of your diet plan if you choose your dressing carefully. For detailed information on its nutritional value, take a look at the table below:
How To Store This Coleslaw?
When your pizza dough is ready, it is necessary to chill it to prevent yeast from dying, giving your pizza a lousy taste. So, below are a few ways to store Jamie Oliver’s pizza dough while keeping it fresh and delicious.
- Store It In The Fridge – After letting the dough rise once and portioning it, wrap it well in an oiled air-tight container with plastic wrap. Place the container in the fridge for up to two weeks.
- Store In The Freezer – Storing this pizza dough is straightforward. All you have to do is to transfer the freshly prepared pizza dough to an air-tight container. Then, wrap it properly and tightly with plastic wrap to prevent dryness. Then store it in the freezer for about three months. When ready to use, thaw the dough, lightly unwrap the bowl, and roll the dough on a floured surface.
What To Serve With This Jamie Oliver Coleslaw Recipe?
Jamie Oliver’s coleslaw recipe pairs well with a variety of dishes. I’ve listed down a few ideas that can be served as a refreshing side dish with Jamie Oliver’s coleslaw:
- Gazpacho – If you’re a die complex soup lover, you’ll love this gazpacho soup. It is very light and refreshing and complements best with the salad.
- Pulled Pork – Coleslaw will go well with pulled pork. The crispness of the coleslaw will pair perfectly with the tender and flavorful pulled pork, adding a satisfying texture and tangy flavor.
- Roasted Potatoes – Coleslaw is a classic accompaniment to roasted potatoes. Serve it alongside with roasted cauliflower, chicken, ribs, steak, or burgers. The cool and crunchy coleslaw provides a refreshing contrast to the smoky flavors of the grilled veggies.
- Salmon – Coleslaw is a classic accompaniment to salmon. It’s rich, buttery and flavored by grilling it. It is healthy and nutritious.
Other Jamie Oliver Recipes To Try
This is the exact Jamie Oliver recipe. It is tough to match the flavors, but we made this recipe, and it is fantastic. All you need to do is be patient and follow the guide.
Besides this, we have more Jamie Oliver recipes that you can check, like Gordon Ramsay Broccoli soup, Gordon Ramsay Caeser Salad, Jamie Oliver Chicken in Milk, Jamie Oliver Pesto Chicken Pasta, and Jamie Oliver Roasted Cauliflower.
Jamie Oliver Coleslaw Recipe
- Mandolin Slicer
For The Salad
- 1 Beetroot (peeled)
- 2 Carrots (peeled and shredded)
- 14 ounces Red Cabbage (shredded)
- 14 ounces White Cabbage (shredded)
- 4 Radishes (shredded)
- 1 bulb Fennel
- ½ cup Celery (peeled)
- ½ Onion (diced)
- 1 Shallot (peeled)
- ½ cup Parsley (chopped)
For The Dressing
- 1 cup Yogurt
- 1 cup Olive Oil
- 2 tablespoons Mustard Sauce
- 1 tablespoon Black Pepper
- 1 tablespoon Salt
- 1 tablespoon Lemon Juice
- Shred beetroot with a mandolin slicer in a bowl.
- For the dressing, add a cup of yogurt to a bowl with a drizzle of olive oil.
- Combine mustard sauce, lemon juice, black pepper, and salt.
- Mix the dressing ingredients well with a whisk.
- In another bowl, add chopped carrots and red cabbage.
- Next, add shredded radishes to the bowl.
- Now is the time for white cabbage.
- Moving forward, add chopped fennel and celeriac.
- Chop onion finely and add them too.
- Combine shredded beetroot with the veggies.
- Drizzle the dressing over the vegetables and coat them well.
- Season it with salt and pepper, and your Jamie Oliver’s coleslaw is ready to serve
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What is the dressing on coleslaw made of?
Coleslaw dressing contains olive oil, lime juice, herbs, yogurt, and mustard. All these ingredients add a nice flavor and texture to the coleslaw.
Is it better to make coleslaw the day before?
Yes definitely! You can make coleslaw in advance and use it for up to two days. Coleslaw is a cold dish and can be stored in a bowl wrapped with plastic wrap in a refrigerator.
Do you put eggs in coleslaw?
No! Coleslaw is a vegetable dish seasoned with herbs, spices, and lime juice. If you add eggs, they won’t be stored for more than a day. So, Jamie Oliver doesn’t put eggs into it.
How do you cut carrots for coleslaw?
Carrots are shredded in the food processor before adding them to the coleslaw. You’ll need juliennes of the carrots for the texture of the coleslaw.
What type of cabbage is best for coleslaw?
Green cabbage is best for coleslaw.
This coleslaw recipe is a must-try for anyone who loves tangy, creamy, and crunchy salads. The best part about this dish is that it can be easily customized to suit your taste.
So, if you like your coleslaw with more or less dressing, cabbage, or different herbs and spices, go ahead and give it a try!