Pasta is always a great choice, but pasta is divine when paired with all the right ingredients! That is what this Jamie Oliver chicken pesto pasta recipe is all about, a combination of decadent and delicious flavors paired with pasta!
But how can chicken pesto pasta be that special, right? Well, that is what I thought until I tasted the dish our chef recreated by following this recipe. First, the pesto is so fresh and well-balanced that even with minimal seasoning, the flavor shines out.
Moreover, the chicken slice is thin and well-seasoned and also perfectly cooked to be juicy and crispy at the same time. Lastly, the pasta is made with lasagna sheets instead of any other pasta. You would think that would make a slight difference, but wait till you have the first bite of this divine pasta dish!
Since this recipe is tried and tested, I hope you will have fun making this pasta dish. In this recipe post, you will find all the information you need to make Jamie Oliver Chicken Pesto Pasta, from the equipment and ingredients to substitute ingredients, steps, and even little nitty-gritty details to make your pasta taste even better!
What's In The Post
Is This The Exact Jamie Oliver Chicken Pesto Pasta Recipe?
Yes, this recipe of chicken pesto pasta is as close as it gets to the original recipe by Jamie Oliver. It is easy to point out that this pesto pasta recipe is slightly different from any other since it is made with blanched almonds instead of pine nuts.
So, we followed the same recipe as the one curated by Jamie Oliver himself. However, we were initially skeptical about how the recipe would turn out with almonds instead of pine nuts. To our surprise, the recipe turned out to be pretty great! And hence, we stuck to the same recipe.
How Is Jamie Oliver Chicken Pesto Pasta Different From A Regular Pesto Chicken Pasta?
Jamie Oliver’s chicken pesto pasta differs from any other recipe, from the ingredients used to make it to the method. Firstly, the recipe uses lasagna sheets instead of any other pasta.
The lasagna sheets are thinner and are cut up in odd shapes, which gives them more surface area to soak up all the sauce. Moreover, the flavor is a little nuttier since the pesto sauce is made with blanched almonds instead of pine nuts.
Moreover, most pesto pasta is usually made with bottled pesto. But, since the pesto is freshly made here, you can taste the fresh basil very well. Lastly, the pasta is topped with fresh and crispy chicken, elevating the dish to a new level.
Why You’ll Love This Jamie Oliver Chicken Pesto Pasta Recipe
Technically, most people would love a pasta dish simply because of its flavor, even if you use a bottled sauce. But, since a world-class chef initially makes this pasta recipe, there are many reasons to love it!
Here are some reasons why you will love this Jamie Oliver Chicken Pesto Pasta Recipe:
- The pasta dish uses lasagna sheets, which soak up a lot more flavor than other types of pasta.
- The pesto is freshly made, and you can taste the freshness in every bite you take.
- The chicken is juicy yet crispy and blends well with the rest of the dish.
- The pasta is also nutritious and well-balanced.
- The recipe is straightforward to follow.
Is Pesto Sauce The Best Sauce For Pasta?
Yes, pesto is preferably one of the best sauces to use for pasta.
After trying this recipe, I can surely vouch for that even if you may not think pesto is the best sauce; it is one of the best! If you like the flavor of fresh herbs balanced with the perfect amount of nuttiness, cheese, and a whole lot of garlic, then sure, pesto sauce is the best sauce for pasta, any day!
Equipment Required For Jamie Oliver’s Chicken Pesto Pasta Recipe
Here is the equipment to make Jamie Oliver’s chicken pesto pasta recipe.
- Measuring Spoons – Firstly, if you would like to follow the recipe precisely to the core, it is always best to get the quantities as precise as possible. For that, a set of measuring spoons will come in handy.
- Weighing Scale – Just like with the measuring spoons, if you want to be precise with the rest of the ingredients, try measuring them on a weighing scale instead of eyeballing them.
- Frying Pan – A large and deep frying pan will be required for this recipe to fry the chicken perfectly to mix with the pasta and sauce.
- Pot – A large pool will be needed for this recipe to cook the lasagna sheets before assembling the pasta and the beans.
- Large Knife – A large knife will be helpful when you can slice the lasagna sheets and the French beans.
- Cutting Board – To easily slice the chicken, lasagna sheets, and also beans, it is best to use a sturdy cutting board.
- Large Spoon – A large spoon or ladle will help bring the pasta ingredients together once ready.
- Tongs – Similarly, a pair of tongs will make it much easier to flip the chicken while it is still cooking.
- Food Processor – Lastly, you will also need a food processor to whip the ingredients for pesto into a smooth and silky texture.
Jamie Oliver Chicken Pesto Pasta Ingredients
For Chicken Breast
Here is the list of ingredients needed to make Jamie Oliver’s chicken pesto pasta
- Chicken Breast – One of the stars of this dish is the chicken breast, about two pieces of the same, both boneless and skinless.
- Fennel seeds – A teaspoon of fennel seeds will work fine to season the chicken breast.
- Rosemary – You will need about two rosemary sprigs to give the chicken breast an earthy flavor.
- Garlic – About five cloves of garlic will give the chicken a hint of flavor.
- Red Chilis – Two fresh red chilis will give the chicken a mild yet sufficient kick of spice.
- Oil – This recipe uses two tablespoons of oil with a high smoking point, like rapeseed oil.
- Cherry Tomatoes – Lastly, about 3-4 cherry tomatoes will give the chicken just the right amount of acidity.
For The Pasta and Pesto Sauce
- Green Beans – For this recipe that is enough for 2-3 people, you will need 8.5 ounces of fresh green beans.
- Baby Spinach – Use the same amount of baby spinach leaves as green beans to make this more nutritious pasta dish.
- Basil – A large bunch of fresh basil leaves, coming to about 10 ounces, will be the hero of the pesto sauce.
- Blanched Almonds – About 1.7 ounces of blanched almonds will be needed to add a lovely nutty flavor to the pesto.
- Garlic – A single tablespoon of garlic is perfect for the pesto sauce.
- Parmesan Cheese – 1.7 ounces of parmesan cheese will add a savory flavor to the pesto sauce.
- Lasagna Sheets – It can only be a pasta dish with pasta! For that, just 10 ounces of lasagna sheets are perfect.
- Olive Oil – Use two tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil to add grease to the pesto sauce.
- Salt and Pepper – A teaspoon of each will be needed for seasoning and flavor.
- Lemon – Lastly, the juice of a single lemon will add just the right amount of acidity to the sauce.
Jamie Oliver’s Chicken Pesto Pasta Recipe Ingredient Substitutions
If you don’t have some of the abovementioned ingredients, there is no need to worry! Here are substitute options for some of the ingredients mentioned in the ingredients list for this recipe.
- Rapeseed Oil – If you don’t have rapeseed oil, you can use any other oil with a high smoking point. Some good options are avocado oil, vegetable oil, and sunflower oil.
- Lasagna Sheets – If you don’t have lasagna sheets, you can use fettuccine pasta as well.
- Parmesan Cheese – An excellent substitute for parmesan cheese is Asiago cheese, which has the same nutty flavor.
- Almonds – If you are out of almonds, you can substitute them with walnuts, pine nuts, or even peanuts.
What Pasta Does Jamie Oliver Recommend For This Recipe?
Jamie Oliver recommends using lasagna pasta sheets for this recipe. The reason is simply that the sheets are flatter, and when cut, they would still be vast. This would eventually make them soak all flavors in the dish very well.
What Other Meats Go Well With This Jamie Oliver Chicken Pesto Pasta Recipe?
If not chicken, you can use various other meats for this recipe. Some good options are quail, prawns, and even scallops. Pheasant is also a good poultry option instead of chicken if you have access to the same.
Jamie Oliver Chicken Pesto Pasta Preparation and Cooking Time
|Preparation Time||Cooking Time||Total Tome|
|20 Minutes||15 Minutes||35 Minutes|
Jamie Oliver Chicken Pesto Pasta Recipe Steps
Step 1- In a food processor, add the basil leaves.
Step 2- Add pine nuts to the food processor after adding basil leaves.
Step 3- Add most of the parmesan cheese to the food processor, leaving some aside for garnish.
Step 4- Add the lemon juice to the food processor.
Step 5- Top the ingredients with the garlic kept aside for the pesto sauce.
Step 6- Add salt and pepper to taste.
Step 7- Blend the mixture just until it all comes together.
Step 8- Add some water to the sauce to improve the consistency.
Step 9- Blend till you get a smooth sauce as shown in the picture.
Step 10- Lay out a chicken breast on top of parchment paper, lay it on top of a chopping board, and season with rosemary and fennel seeds.
Step 11- Sear the chicken breast in a pan with some olive oil, at medium heat.
Step 12- Flip the chicken over once it is a little brown on one side, then add garlic and chopped red chilis.
Step 13- After the chicken is a little more brown, add cherry tomato halves to the pan, let them soften, then remove the pan from the heat, making sure the chicken is cooked through.
Step 14- Boil water in a large pot with some salt.
Step 15- Add stringed green beans to the water, then remove in a few minutes.
Step 16- Add lasagna sheets to the boiling water, remove once cooked.
Step 17- Blanch spinach in the same boiling water.
Step 18- In a pot, add the boiled lasagna sheets, pesto sauce, French beans, and blanched spinach, then toss it all together.
Step 19- Your Jamie Oliver Chicken Pesto Pasta is ready.
Tips To Make Jamie Oliver Chicken Pesto Pasta Taste Better
There are a few tips and tricks that you can keep in mind to make sure the recipe and the eventual pasta dish turn out to be precisely what you would expect it to be. Here are some of these tricks:
- Do Not Overcook Anything: Avoid overcooking the pasta and the chicken in this recipe. Overcooking the chicken will turn it dry, whereas overcooked pasta will taste mushy and dull.
- Use Fresh Basil: When picking out basil, pick the freshest bunch. The fresher the basil leaves, the better the pasta dish’s tastes.
- Don’t Shy Away From Adding Extra Parmesan: Add some extra parmesan if you like, but don’t reduce or skip it.
- Flatten The Chicken Well: Make sure to get the chicken as thin as possible so it cooks well and throughout.
How Will This Recipe Look And Taste Like?
This pasta dish will not look like any other pesto dish you may have tried, but it will look very appealing! The pasta with vibrant green sauce and chicken, topped with basil and parmesan cheese, makes it look like a fine dining meal!
As far as the flavor is concerned, you can easily pick out that the basil used to make the pesto is fresh. The taste of fresh basil with the rest of the ingredients creates a great medley that translates well to pasta, chicken, green beans, and spinach!
Is Jamie Oliver Chicken Pesto Pasta Healthy?
First, to find out if Jamie Oliver’s chicken pesto pasta is healthy, let us look at the pasta’s nutritional values to understand the aspect better.
|Saturated Fat||5.4 g|
|Dietary Fiber||8 g|
Here, you can see that this chicken pasta may not be the healthiest thing ever. Although the pasta is packed with a high quantity of protein, which makes it healthy, there is also a lot of fat and saturated fat, which could be better. So, if you want to enjoy this pasta, it is best to do so in moderation.
Can You Make This Jamie Oliver Chicken Pesto Pasta Ahead Of Time?
The honest answer to the question asked above is it depends. Some aspects of this dish can be prepared ahead of time, while some others are best made fresh. If you would like to save some time, you can prepare the pesto sauce ahead of time and pop it in the refrigerator.
However, the chicken and pasta are different. Both these elements are best cooked fresh and mixed with the pesto. That is the only way to get the best flavor possible out of them.
How To Store This Jamie Oliver Chicken Pesto Pasta?
Here are some easy steps to store Jamie Oliver’s chicken pesto pasta:
- Air-Tight Container: Pack the leftover pasta in an air-tight container, and place it in the refrigerator for up to two days. Similarly, you can set the air-tight container in the freezer for nearly one month.
- Zip-Lock Bags: This pasta storage method is recommended only if you plan to store it in the freezer. Remove as much air as possible from the pack before popping it in the freezer for one month.
How To Reheat Jamie Oliver Chicken Pesto Pasta?
Here are some easy ways to reheat Jamie Oliver chicken pesto pasta:
Pasta That Has Been Taken Out Of The Refrigerator:
- In The Microwave: Heat the pasta in a microwave for 1 minute on the highest heat. Enjoy hot!
- In A Pan: Sprinkle some water on the pasta, then heat it in a pan till it is scorching.
Pasta That Has Been Taken Out Of The Freezer:
- In A Microwave: The microwave is the only way to reheat previously frozen pasta. First, let the pasta thaw completely, then reheat it in the microwave for 1 minute at the highest heat until completely hot.
What To Serve With Jamie Oliver Chicken Pesto Pasta?
Plenty of lovely and delectable meals can be served along with Jamie Oliver’s Chicken pesto pasta recipe. Here is a list of some stunning recipe ideas that, in my opinion, pair perfectly with the pasta dish:
- Jamie Oliver’s Roast Potatoes: If you are okay with some extra carbohydrates to accompany your pasta meal, there is nothing better than pairing it with these herby roasted potatoes by Jamie Oliver!
- Jamie Oliver’s Roasted Cauliflower: If you would like to stick to a healthier choice of vegetable, then nothing is better than this perfectly roasted cauliflower recipe by Jamie Oliver.
- Jamie Oliver’s Cabbage Coleslaw: Nothing pairs better with a pasta dish than this light and delicious coleslaw recipe.
- Jamie Oliver’s Brussel Sprouts: Since quite a few people pair their pasta with veggies, Brussels sprouts make a great side dish option, and this recipe by Jamie Oliver will make you fall in love with them!
- Jamie Oliver’s Roast Chicken: If extra protein on the side is more your thing than veggies or carbohydrates, the best pairing to be served with Jamie Oliver’s chicken pesto pasta is some good old roast chicken.
Jamie Oliver Chicken Pesto Pasta Recipe
- Measuring Spoons
- Weighing Scale
- Frying Pan
- Large Knife
- Cutting Board
- Large Spoon
- Food Processor
For Chicken Breast
- 2 nos. Chicken Breast
- 1 teaspoon Fennel Seeds
- 1 teaspoon Rosemary
- 5 cloves Garlic
- 2 nos. Red Chilis
- 2 tablespoons Oil
- 1 ounce Cherry Tomatoes
For Pasta And Pesto Sauce
- 8.5 ounces Green Beans
- 8.5 ounces Baby Spinach
- 10 ounces Basil
- 1.7 ounces Blanched Almonds
- 1 tablespoon Garlic
- 1.7 ounces Parmesan Cheese
- 10 ounces Lasagna Sheets
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Pepper
- 1 no. Lemon
- In a food processor, add the basil leaves.
- Add pine nuts to the food processor after adding basil leaves.
- Add most of the parmesan cheese to the food processor, leaving some aside for garnish.
- Add the lemon juice to the food processor.
- Top the ingredients with the garlic kept aside for the pesto sauce.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Blend the mixture just until it all comes together.
- Add some water to the sauce to improve the consistency.
- Blend till you get a smooth sauce as shown in the picture.
- Lay out a chicken breast on top of parchment paper, lay it on top of a chopping board, and season with rosemary and fennel seeds.
- Sear the chicken breast in a pan with some olive oil, at medium heat.
- Flip the chicken over once it is a little brown on one side, then add garlic and chopped red chilis.
- After the chicken is a little more brown, add cherry tomato halves to the pan, let them soften, then remove the pan from the heat, making sure the chicken is cooked through.
- Boil water in a large pot with some salt.
- Add stringed green beans to the water, then remove in a few minutes.
- Add lasagna sheets to the boiling water, remove once cooked.
- Blanch spinach in the same boiling water.
- In a pot, add the boiled lasagna sheets, pesto sauce, French beans, and blanched spinach, then toss it all together.
- Your Jamie Oliver Chicken Pesto Pasta is ready.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Will the pesto sauce taste better if made fresh?
Yes, the fresher the pesto sauce is, the better it will taste.
What to do if you are all out of lasagna sheets?
If you are all out of lasagna sheets, you can use other types of pasta.
Is it necessary to use almonds in the pesto?
No, you can also use pine nuts or walnuts instead.
Can this recipe be made without parmesan cheese?
The sauce will taste better with parmesan cheese.
Coming to the end of this article, I hope it has helped you understand the entire process of making this incredible pasta dish. Jamie Oliver is a well-known chef, so his recipes are just as great!
My recommendation would be to try this recipe out and see for yourself! Suppose you are fond of celebrity chef recipes. In that case, you should also check out some other recipes by Jamie Oliver, like Broccoli Pasta, Spaghetti Carbonara, Chicken Nuggets, Eggplant Parmesan Recipe and even Cauliflower Mac and Cheese!