Jamie Oliver slow cooker pulled pork is one of the most popular recipes on our website, and for a good reason: it’s delicious. But, as with all recipes, there are a few tips and tricks to make the process go smoothly.
To make Jamie Oliver slow cooker pulled pork, combine the spices in a bowl and rub them all over the pork shoulder. Heat the oil in a skillet and sear the pork.
Add chopped veggies and spices and cook until softened. Add the pomegranate juice, sugar, and plum jam to make the sauce.
Add everything to the slow cooker and cook for 8 hours. Serve hot and top with chopped parsley with crusty bread.
There are a few things to keep in mind when making this dish. First, be sure to use a good quality pork shoulder. It’s worth splurging on a higher quality cut of meat for this dish, as it will make all the difference in terms of flavor and texture.
Don’t be afraid to experiment with the seasonings and spices you use. Jamie’s recipe calls for smoked paprika, but feel free to swap it for regular paprika or other spices you enjoy.
Finally, while the slow cooker does most of the work for you, basting the pork regularly during cooking is necessary. It helps to keep the meat moist and prevents it from drying out.
In this guide, we’ll take you through each step of the process so that you can make this amazing dish with ease. Let’s get started! Make your favorite from the list of Jamie Oliver recipes.
What's In The Post
Other Jamie Oliver Recipes That You Can Try
- Jamie Oliver Chicken Soup
- Jamie Oliver Fried Rice
- Jamie Oliver Salmon
- Jamie Oliver Cauliflower Mac And Cheese
- Jamie Oliver Pork Tenderloin
- Jamie Oliver Brussel Sprouts
- Jamie Oliver Turkey
- Jamie Oliver Pizza Dough
- Jamie Oliver Roast Potatoes
- Jamie Oliver Mushroom Pasta
What Equipment Will You Need To Make Jamie Oliver Slow Cooker Pulled Pork?
- Slow Cooker – Cook the pork in a slow cooker until it falls apart and is tender.
- Skillet – Prepare the pork and the sauce in a skillet until everything is cooked through.
- Knife – Start by cutting off pork and veggies into chunks with a knife for easy cooking.
- Grater – Grate garlic and ginger with a grater to add while making the sauce.
- Chopping Board – Cut the pork and chop the veggies on a chopping board for fine cutting.
- Spatula – Toss the pork with the prepared sauce until well combined.
- Tongs – Transfer everything to a serving dish with tongs to avoid waste.
- Serving Plate – Serve the pork on a serving dish and top with fresh parsley and some crusty bread.
How Much Time Will You Need To Make Jamie Oliver Slow Cooker Pulled Pork?
|Preparation Time||Cooking Time||Total Time|
|30 Minutes||8 Hours 15 Minutes||8 Hours 45 Minutes|
What Ingredients Will You Need To Make Jamie Oliver Slow Cooker Pulled Pork?
For The Pork
- Pork Shoulder – Any boneless pork roast will work for this recipe, but a shoulder is best. Look for a cut of pork that is well-marbled with fat for the best flavor and texture.
- Olive Oil – Cook the diced pork in a skillet containing olive oil until brown on all sides.
- Salt – Season the pork with salt, as it will help create a lovely crispy crust when cooked.
- Pepper – Season the pork with pepper to get the spicy flavor.
For The Sauce
- Onions – Peeled and finely chop the onions to add sweetness to the sauce.
- Carrots – Peel and finely chop the carrots to give the sauce a fresh flavor and add a nice sweetness.
- Garlic – Peeled and finely sliced garlic cloves to add a nutty taste.
- Ginger – Grate the Ginger to add a spicy flavor and a refreshing sauce aroma.
- Chinese Five Spice Powder – Five-spice powder will add a distinct licorice-like flavor with sweet, warm, and peppery notes to the sauce.
- Pomegranate Juice – Pomegranate juice will add sour, sweet, and fruity flavor to the sauce.
- Brown Sugar – Brown sugar is added to the sauce to make it sweet.
- Soy Sauce – Soy sauce will add umami flavors with a hint of sweetness and slight bitterness to the sauce.
- Plum Jam – Plum jam will add a tart and sweet flavor with thickness to the sauce.
- Parsley Leaves – Top your recipe with chopped parsley for a bright and slightly bitter taste.
Steps To Make Jamie Oliver Slow Cooker Pulled Pork
1. Preparing The Pork
Start by cutting off any large chunks of the fat that you see. You don’t have to be too obsessive about this, but removing the larger chunks will help ensure your pork doesn’t get greasy.
Score the skin of the pork shoulder all over with a sharp knife, then rub in a good amount of salt and pepper. It will help create a lovely crispy crust when it’s cooked.
In a skillet, heat some oil over medium–high heat and brown the pork on all sides. Don’t worry if it’s not cooked through at this point – it will finish cooking in the slow cooker.
2. Prepping The Vegetables And Spices
Meanwhile, roughly chop the onion. Peel and chop the carrots into large chunks. Now grate garlic and ginger.
Add the chopped veggies and spices to a skillet and reduce the heat to low. Add the sugar, soy sauce, pomegranate juice, and plum jam.
Stir to combine to make sure everything is evenly mixed. Then, put the lid on top and set it to cook on low for 8 hours.
3. Slow-Cooking Your Pulled Pork
Resist the urge to peek! When you open the lid, heat escapes, lengthening the cooking time.
When the time is up, your pork should be fall-apart tender and infused with all the amazing flavors from the spice rub and BBQ sauce.
Carefully remove it from the slow cooker and transfer it to a cutting board.
4. Finishing Touches
Now that the pork is cooked, it’s time to give it a little bit of love before serving. I like to use a pair of tongs to shred the meat and then mix it with the sauce.
At this point, you can either transfer everything to a serving dish or leave it in the slow cooker on warm. I like to top mine with fresh parsley and some crusty bread on the side. Enjoy!
|Saturated Fat||8.4 g|
How Will Jamie Oliver Slow Cooker Pulled Pork Look And Taste Like?
There is nothing better than pulled pork, when looking for comfort food. The great thing about Jamie Oliver slow cooker pulled pork recipe is that it lets the pork shoulder shine.
The shoulder is a relatively tough cut of meat, but it becomes incredibly tender and flavorful when you cook slowly and carefully.
Oliver’s recipe calls for a simple spice rub of smoked paprika and garlic powder, which brings out the natural flavors of the pork.
Who doesn’t love soft, juicy, slow roasted pulled pork? This recipe from Jamie Oliver is a guaranteed crowd pleaser! A long cook but well worth the wait.
Jamie Oliver Slow Cooker Pulled Pork Recipe
- Slow Cooker
- Chopping Board
- Serving Plate
For The Pork
- 1.5 kg Pork Shoulder (trimmed and cut into 2.5 cm (1 inch cubes))
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- ¼ teaspoon Black Pepper
For The Sauce
- ½ cup Pomegranate Juice
- 2 tablespoons Soy Sauce
- ¼ cup Plum Jam
- 2 Onions (peeled and finely chopped)
- 2 Carrots (peeled and finely chopped)
- 3 cloves Garlic (peeled and finely sliced)
- 1 small Ginger (grated)
- 1 teaspoon Chinese Five Spice Powder
- 2 tablespoons Brown Sugar
- 1 sprig Parsley Leaves
- Score the skin of the pork shoulder all over with a sharp knife and then rub in a good amount of salt and pepper.
- In a skillet, heat a splash of olive oil over medium–high heat and cook the diced pork until brown the pork on all sides.
- Roughly chop the onion and peeled carrots into large chunks.
- Now grate garlic and Ginger.
- Add the chopped veggies and spices to a skillet and reduce the heat to low.
- Add the sugar, soy sauce, pomegranate juice, and plum jam.
- Stir to combine to make sure everything is evenly mixed.
- Then, put the lid on top and set it to cook on low for 8 hours.
- When the time is up, your pork should be fall-apart tender and infused with all the amazing flavors from the spice rub and BBQ sauce.
- Carefully remove it from the slow cooker and transfer it to a cutting board.
- Use a pair of tongs to shred the meat and mix it with the sauce.
- Transfer everything to a serving dish and top with fresh parsley and some crusty bread.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
How to serve Jamie Oliver Slow Cooker Pulled Pork?
There are endless possibilities to serve Jamie Oliver’s delicious slow cooker pulled pork recipe. Here are a few of our favorites:
– Serve it on a soft bun with coleslaw and BBQ sauce for a classic pulled pork sandwich.
– Make a pulled pork wrap by adding rice, beans, and salsa to a soft tortilla wrap.
– Mix it with some cooked pasta, pesto, and parmesan for a quick and easy pulled pork pasta dish.
– Get creative and use it as a pizza topping, in a quesadilla, or on top of nachos.
How much time will it take to cook the diced pork in a slow cooker?
It takes approximately 8 hours to cook the pork in a slow cooker on low heat or 3-4 hours on high heat.
Can I make slow cooker pulled pork ahead of time?
Yes, you can make pulled pork ahead of time. You can reheat it as and when you are ready to serve it. Just be sure to reheat it slowly so that the meat doesn’t dry out.
How can you reheat pulled pork?
Reheating pulled pork in the oven at a low temperature (around 200 degrees F) until warmed is the best way to cook it.
What are some of the best sauces to serve with Jamie Oliver’s slow cooker pulled pork?
Many great sauces go well with Jamie Oliver slow-cooker pulled pork. Our favorites include BBQ sauce, apple cider vinegar, and hot sauce.
So, there you have it! Your guide to making Jamie Oliver’s delicious slow cooker pulled pork. Keep a close eye on it while it is cooking, and let it rest once it’s done so the pork can absorb all the delicious flavors.