If you love traditional roast chicken, you will love this Jamie Oliver chicken in milk recipe. It is juicy, flavorful, and creamy. This chicken recipe is way better than the traditional chicken recipes. The best of all is you can easily prepare this dish at home.
We were initially skeptical about this recipe as we were convinced that lemon and milk would end up with a mess. But, when we first ate, it felt like we were tasting browned chicken coated in mozzarella cheese.
The only thing our chef has advised us to take care of is to allow the browned chicken for a few minutes before soaking it in the milk mixture. It will allow the juices to redistribute, making this dish more juicier.
I’m pretty sure this recipe will be your following “go-to” recipe. It is straightforward to make. So, let’s move on to its making part without further ado. But don’t forget to thoroughly review this guide for the exact flavors and textures.
What's In The Post
What Is Chicken In Milk?
Chicken in milk is one of the delicious ways to cook chicken. This technique cooks chicken in milk marinade to create a tender, flavorful, and creamy dish.
It starts by browning the chicken in a pan with oil and butter, then adding spices, lemon, and milk. The milk mixture tenderizes the chicken, while the lemon brightens the dish. It is then simmered until creamy and served with baguettes or toasted bread.
Is This The Exact Jamie Oliver Chicken In Milk Recipe?
Yes, this is the exact Jamie Oliver chicken in the milk recipe. We’ve followed the recipe step-by-step as Jamie Oliver. The result is a creamy, cheesy, juicy chicken decked with flavors and textures.
As you know, Jamie Oliver is known for his technique, and all his recipes are remarkable. But when it comes to chicken in milk, it is full of fresh and nutritious ingredients like free-range whole chicken. Our chef Jasbir has incorporated all the elements into this recipe, resulting in the best dish you have ever had.
How Is Jamie Oliver Chicken In Milk Different From Regular Chicken In Milk?
This homemade version of Jamie Oliver chicken in milk is very different from the regular chicken in milk recipe. Jamie Oliver hasn’t used any cream to make this chicken recipe, while in the traditional dish, cream is generally used.
Besides this, Jamie Oliver made this recipe very simple and focused on essential ingredients. At the same time, regular chicken in milk includes various other veggies and herbs to spice things up.
Why You’ll Love This Jamie Oliver Chicken In Milk?
This Jamie Oliver-style chicken in milk is very creamy, full-filling, and easy to make.
- This Italian chicken dish is made with fresh and quality ingredients.
- You can customize this dish as per your choice and taste.
- The ingredients used in this recipe can be available easily in your pantry.
Is It Good To Put Chicken In Milk?
Yes, soaking chicken in milk can be good if it is made effectively and flavorful. How? Consider these pointers:
- Milk is an ideal choice if you want tender meat. The reason is the protein content in milk helps break down the protein in chicken, resulting in more tender and juicy chicken.
- As the chicken cooks in the milk, it absorbs flavor, yielding a rich flavor.
- Milk is an ideal choice for marinating the chicken. The protein content in milk provides moisture to the meat, which prevents the heart from drying out.
What Does Soaking Chicken In Milk Does To The Chicken?
Soaking chicken in milk helps tenderize the meat, which results in a more tender and juicy dish. Other than this, there are various purposes for soaking chicken in milk. They are:
- And when chicken is soaked in milk, it absorbs the flavor, which leads to a more flavorful and aromatic dish.
- Milk helps retain the moisture content in the meat, which can prevent it from drying out.
So, if you are soaking the chicken in the milk mixture, don’t soak it for more than five to ten minutes.
Equipment Required For Jamie Oliver Chicken In Milk
- Pot – Fry the seasoned chicken in butter and oil until brown and crispy.
- Spatula – Use a spatula to combine ingredients.
- Knife – Use a sharp knife to cut off the chicken pieces and herbs.
- Plate – Serve chicken in milk on the serving plate.
- Butter Paper – Cover the chicken in milk with butter paper while cooking in the pot.
Jamie Oliver Chicken In Milk Ingredients
- Whole Chicken – Our chef has used whole chicken for the recipe.
- Unsalted Butter – Use unsalted butter to fry the seasoned chicken pieces for their silky texture and nutty flavor.
- Olive Oil – Besides butter, use olive oil to fry the seasoned chicken on medium heat.
- Milk – Use half a kilogram of whole milk to make a creamy and thick gravy.
- Lemon – Peel the lemon while preparing the chicken in milk to give it a nice texture.
- Garlic – Garlic will add intensity and slight sweetness to chicken in milk.
- Sage – Use a bunch of fresh sage to add an earthy and peppery flavor to the chicken.
- Cinnamon Sticks – Take 1 inch of cinnamon stick to add a woody and nutty flavor to the chicken.
- Sea Salt – Season chicken with sea salt to enhance its overall taste.
- Black Pepper – Sprinkle black pepper over the chicken pieces nicely to add a spicy kick and heat.
Jamie Oliver Chicken In Milk Ingredients Substitutions
- Chicken – Our chef has used whole chicken for the recipe as it tenderizes easily and quickly. However, you can also use chicken breasts for the recipe. But remember one thing that the taste and texture won’t be the same.
- Milk – You can also go for dairy-free options instead of using milk. Also, you can choose buttermilk for the creamy dish.
- Herbs And Spices – Instead of using cinnamon sticks, experiment with different herbs and spices like thyme and rosemary.
Can You Use Buttermilk Instead Of Regular Milk?
Yes, you can use buttermilk instead of regular milk in chicken in the milk recipe. It will add a tangy flavor to the recipe. Besides, buttermilk will help tenderize the meat, resulting in a flavorful dish.
But make sure to adjust the thickness of the dish by adding water to the mixture. Also, it will add a distinct flavor to the overall dish. So, feel free to experiment with buttermilk, but make sure to adjust its amount per your taste.
Jamie Oliver Chicken In Milk Preparation And Cooking Time
|Preparation Time||Cooking Time||Total Time|
|15 Minutes||1 Hour 40 Minutes||1 Hour 55 Minutes|
Steps To Make Jamie Oliver Chicken In Milk
Step 1- Melt a knob of butter and oil in a pot.
Step 2- Fry whole chicken in the pot, turning regularly to get an even color.
Step 3- Remove from the heat and cook unpeeled garlic cloves, peeled lemon zest, and two to three cinnamon sticks.
Step 4- Pour in enough milk in the pot and cook until sauce is formed.
Step 5- Put the chicken back in the pot and cook until all the juices are absorbed.
Step 6- Season it with salt and black pepper.
Step 7- Freshly squeeze a teaspoon of lemon juice and cook until absolutely fantastic.
Step 8- Finally, put the chicken mixed with the spices in the oven and roast it for 20 minutes at 180 degrees centigrade.
Step 9- Your Jamie Oliver Chicken In Milk is ready.
Tips To Make This Chicken In Milk Better
This Jamie Oliver chicken in milk is fulfilling. But you can make it more interesting by following these tips:
- Our chef has recommended using high-quality ingredients for the best flavors.
- Season the chicken with a variety of herbs and spices. It will enhance the taste of the chicken.
- Before soaking the chicken in the milk, brown them to add rich flavor and color.
- Add milk to create a creamier and richer taste of the dish. If you are intolerant to lactose, try vegan-free options.
- Allow the chicken to rest after cooking to allow the juices to redistribute, resulting in a juicier dish.
Does Soaking Chicken In Milk Add More Calories?
No, soaking chicken in milk won’t add any calories. However, if you are consuming milk mixture with soaked chicken, it would become unhealthy. So, it is advisable to add the ingredients in small amounts.
If you are a health freak, consider using low-fat milk, cream, and butter. Also, limit the use of fats and be mindful of portions.
How Will This Jamie Oliver Chicken In Milk Look And Taste Like?
This Jamie Oliver chicken in milk is delicious and creamy. Though it seems like an odd pairing, the milk tenderizes the chicken. While the garlic has added sweetness, and the lemon has brightened the overall flavor profile.
We’re sure this recipe will be my “go-to” one. It is straightforward to make, with the most challenging part being the browning of the chicken. A golden brown chicken dish topped with white creamy gravy looks lovely.
Is Jamie Oliver Chicken In Milk Healthy?
This Jamie Oliver chicken in milk is delicious but could be healthier as it is high in calories and fat. So, it’s better to consume it in moderation if you are concerned about your health. Besides this, we’ve prepared a table where nutritional values have been added.
How to Store This Jamie Oliver Chicken In Milk?
If you are left with chicken in milk, store it properly to retain its freshness and taste. For this, take a look at the ways below:
- Once you have prepared your chicken in milk, let it cool to room temperature.
- Then, transfer the dish to an airtight container and cover it with aluminum foil or plastic wrap.
- Place the container in the refrigerator for a day or two.
Note: Freezing this recipe is not ideal, as it can hamper the flavor and texture.
How To Reheat This Jamie Oliver Chicken In Milk?
Reheating Jamie Oliver chicken in milk is tricky but easy. You must be careful while reheating this as the gravy may separate or spoil if overworked. So, you need to follow these tips to reheat this Jamie Oliver chicken in milk:
- Remove the leftover chicken in milk from the refrigerator and let it rest at room temperature for at least fifteen minutes.
- Then, preheat your oven to 350 degrees F and place the chicken in milk in an oven-safe container.
- Cover the dish with aluminum foil or oven-safe lid and heat it for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Once heated, remove the dish from the oven and let it rest for a few minutes before serving.
What To Serve With This Jamie Oliver Chicken In Milk?
This Jamie Oliver chicken in milk is fulfilling on its own. But pairing it with other side dishes won’t disappoint you. I’ve jotted down a list of a few recipes to try with this creamy dish. They are:
- Jamie Oliver Roasted Potatoes – Serve crispy, and smokey Jamie Oliver roasted potatoes alongside this hearty bowl. The contrasting flavors and textures will contrast the tender chicken nicely.
- Jamie Oliver Roasted Cauliflower – Roasted cauliflower will add texture and flavor to the meal. All you have to do is to toss the veggie in olive oil, season with salt, pepper, and your preferred herbs, and roast them in the oven until tender and slightly caramelized.
- Jamie Oliver Mushroom Risotto – Fluffy rice and creamy mushroom risotto will be a great accompaniment to chicken in milk. The flavorful risotto will enhance the overall dining experience.
- Jamie Oliver Coleslaw – Complete your meal by adding a refreshing and light coleslaw bowl. It will provide contrasting flavors to the chicken in milk.
Other Recipes To Try
So, it was all about Jamie Oliver’s chicken in-milk recipe. It is the perfect weeknight dinner that you can prepare at home.
Besides this recipe, we have a separate blog on various Jamie Oliver recipes. Some are Jamie Oliver Yorkshire Pudding, Jamie Oliver Fried Rice Recipe, Gordon Ramsay Caesar Salad, Jamie Oliver Easy Carbonara, and Jamie Oliver Broccoli Pasta.
Jamie Oliver Chicken In Milk Recipe
- Butter paper
- 1.5 kilograms Whole Chicken
- 100 grams Unsalted Butter
- 550 milliliter Milk
- 1 cup Olive Oil
- 2 Lemon
- 1 clloves Garlic
- 1 bunch Sage
- 2-3 stick Cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon Sea Salt (to taste)
- ½ teaspoon Black Pepper (to taste)
- Melt a knob of butter and oil in a pot.
- Fry whole chicken in the pot, turning regularly to get an even color.
- Remove from the heat and cook unpeeled garlic cloves, peeled lemon zest, and two to three cinnamon sticks.
- Pour in enough milk in the pot and cook until sauce is formed.
- Put the chicken back in the pot and cook until all the juices are absorbed.
- Season it with salt and black pepper.
- Freshly squeeze a teaspoon of lemon juice and cook until absolutely fantastic.
- Finally, put the chicken mixed with the spices in the oven and roast it for 20 minutes at 180 degrees centigrade.
- Your Jamie Oliver Chicken In Milk is ready.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What does putting the chicken in milk do?
The milk adds creaminess to the chicken and will make it flavorsome. It’s a unique combination of chicken and milk that tastes fantastic.
Can you put raw chicken in milk?
No! Firstly the chicken is marinated with sea salt and black pepper. Then it is fried in butter and oil for a nutty flavor along with fresh herbs and vegetables. Lastly, you add milk to the chicken and cook for some time.
What goes with Jamie Oliver’s chicken in milk?
Jamie Oliver serves chicken in milk with wilted spinach and some mashed potatoes.
How does Jamie Oliver make their chicken crispy?
Jamie Oliver fries the chicken in the pot in butter and oil to make the chicken crispy and nice.
What seasonings are added to the chicken in milk?
You can add cinnamon, salt, black pepper, sage, and fennel for the herby and aromatic flavors of chicken in the milk recipe.
Here is Jamie Oliver’s recipe for chicken in milk. It’s delicious and easy to make. Give it a try and let us know what you think in the comment section.