Have you ever had a jam that was made from meat? Me neither. This is the reason why Gordon Ramsay’s bacon jam toast recipe intrigued me. I was like, bacon jam! What? His recipe includes unique ingredients too. You’ll find freshly brewed coffee and maple syrup on the list, along with brown sugar and red pepper flakes. If this didn’t surprise you, then add shallots and onions to the mix as well.
What caught me off guard the most was how all these flavors that you least expect to blend go together so well. The pinch of red pepper flakes adds the right amount of hot notes to the jam. The coffee comes with its bitterness and the maple syrup and brown sugar are, of course, for the sweetness. The bacon adds a rich taste to the jam and is the star of the show.
The part I liked the most is that you can cook everything in bacon fat. This gives the jam the extra richness and flavor of the bacon. The recipe is also pretty simple. All you need is some stirring here, some cooking there and you’re done. Let’s see how to make delicious bacon jam toast, the Gordon Ramsay way.
1. Gordon Ramsay’s Focaccia– Making aesthetically delightful is something everyone loves. Focaccia might seem like a tough nut to crack. But once you check out Gordon Ramsay break down his famous Focaccia recipe for you, you will ace it.
2. Gordon Ramsay’s Cheesecake In A Jar– Cheesecake is one such dessert you cannot refuse no matter how full your belly is. Try this delicacy but with a twist.
3. Gordon Ramsay’s New York Cheesecake– Gobble up the classic New York cheesecake from Gordon Ramsay. The cheesecake has raspberries and cream cheese in it to make you belly flutter with delicious goodness.
4. Gordon Ramsay’s Potato-Crusted Sea Bass With Minestrones And Clams– This dish is a delightful concoction of vegetable minestrone, clams, and sea bass. When planning an elaborate dinner for your loved ones, give this recipe a try.
What Are The Equipment Used For Gordon Ramsay’s Bacon Jam Toast?
- Large Heavy Bottomed Skillet- You need this skillet to make the jam. The heavy bottom ensures that the jam cooks perfectly and doesn’t stick to the skillet.
- Frying Pan- Use the frying pan to toast your bread.
- Spatula- You’ll need to stir the jam occasionally, do it with a spatula.
- Slotted Spoon- Use the spoon to add the bacon to the skillet or take it out of it.
How Much Time Does It Take To Make Gordon Ramsay’s Bacon Jam Toast?
|Preparation Time||Cooking Time||Total Time|
|15 Minutes||2 Hours 45 Minutes||3 Hours|
What Are The Ingredients Used For Gordon Ramsay’s Bacon Jam Toast?
- Bread- The bread is the base for the bacon jam toast. Gordon Ramsay uses sourdough bread, but you can use whatever you want.
- Butter- The butter makes the toasts even more delicious.
- Bacon- Bacon adds a certain richness and taste to the jam. Most of its fat is rendered away and then drained. So, you can have it without guilt.
- Shallots and Onions- Other than adding volume, caramelized onions and shallots add a rich, savory sweetness to the jam.
- Maple Syrup and Brown Sugar- These add sweetness to the jam. If you have eaten candied bacon, you’ll love this combination.
- Coffee- Coffee adds bitterness to the jam, which actually fits perfectly with the array of flavors.
- Apple Cider Vinegar- With all the flavors on the list, how can we miss the sour flavor? Add apple cider vinegar to tang things a bit.
- Red Pepper Flakes– If you want to add a bit of spice, this is just the right thing to add to it.
Steps To Make Gordon Ramsay’s Bacon Jam Toast
1. Cooking The Bacon
Start by adding the bacon to the skillet and cook until the fat separates out and the bacon becomes just crisp. Take out the bacon and set it aside. Drain the fat only by keeping a tablespoon in the skillet.
2. It’s Time To Caramelize
Then, add the shallots and onions to the skillet and cook them on low heat until they caramelize.
3. Add-In The Flavor
When the onions are caramelized, add maple syrup, brown sugar, apple cider vinegar, and red pepper flakes to it and then, cook it on low heat for about 2 hours.
4. Pump Up The Jam
When the jam is thick and looks brown, remove the skillet from heat. Toast the bread in butter and serve the jam over the toast.
|Saturated Fat||2.1 g|
|Monounsaturated Fat||1 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat||2.8 g|
How Does Gordon Ramsay’s Bacon Jam Toast Recipe Look And Taste?
Once the jam is cooked, it will look brownish and chunky. If you want a smoother consistency, you can blend the mixture as well. When it comes to taste, the jam has a strong flavor of bacon and is mostly sweet. But you’ll find consistent savory, bitter, as well as hot notes in a jam. The buttery toast is the best companion to this breakfast delight.
Gordon Ramsay’s Bacon Jam Toast Recipe
- 6 slices Bread
- 3 tablespoons Butter
- 1 pound Thick Cut Bacon (cut into 1-cm slices)
- 1 ½ cups Yellow Onion (chopped)
- 3 Shallots (halved, sliced)
- ½ cup Maple Syrup
- ½ cup Freshly Brewed Coffee
- ½ cup Apple Cider Vinegar
- ½ cup Brown Sugar
- ½ teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes
- Place a heavy-bottomed skillet over medium-high heat. Then, add the bacon pieces to it and make sure they are not stuck to each other.
- Cook the bacon pieces, occasionally stirring for about 10 minutes until the fat melts out of the bacon. Cook the bacon until it is just crisp and then spoon it out of the pan to set it aside.
- Now, drain the fat left in the skillet except about a tablespoon. Reduce the heat to medium-low heat and add the shallots and onions. Cook them for about 20-25 minutes until the onions have caramelized. If the pan gets too dry, you can add a little bit of water to moisten it.
- When the onions have caramelized, add the bacon back into the pan. Also, add maple syrup, apple cider, and coffee to it. Stir it a bit and then, add brown sugar and red pepper flakes. Increase the heat to medium-high and bring this mixture to a boil for about a minute.
- After boiling it for a minute, reduce the heat to a bare minimum and cook this mixture for about 2 hours until it thickens. Then, remove the skillet from heat and allow it to cool.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in a pan and toast the slices of bread in it from both sides. Apply the jam on the toasts and serve with soft scrambled eggs.