Have you ever had a jam that was made from meat? Me neither. This is the reason why Gordon Ramsay’s bacon jam toast recipe intrigued me. I was like, bacon jam! What? His recipe includes unique ingredients too.
You’ll find freshly brewed coffee and maple syrup on the list, along with brown sugar and red pepper flakes. If this didn’t surprise you, then add shallots and onions to the mix as well.
What caught me off guard the most was how all these flavors that you least expect to blend go together so well. The pinch of red pepper flakes adds the right amount of hot notes to the jam.
The coffee comes with its bitterness and the maple syrup and brown sugar are, of course, for the sweetness. The bacon adds a rich taste to the jam and is the star of the show.
The part I liked the most is that you can cook everything in bacon fat. This gives the jam the extra richness and flavor of the bacon. The recipe is also pretty simple.
What's In The Post
Other Gordon Ramsay Recipes That You Can Try
- Gordon Ramsay Focaccia
- Gordon Ramsay Cheesecake In A Jar
- Gordon Ramsay New York Cheesecake
- Gordon Ramsay Potato-Crusted Sea Bass With Minestrones And Clams
- Gordon Ramsay Macaroni Cheese And Cauliflower Bake
- Gordon Ramsay Half Hour Chili
- Gordon Ramsay Pork Belly
- Gordon Ramsay Bangers And Mash
- Gordon Ramsay Roast Beef Carpaccio
- Gordon Ramsay Carrot Cake Macaroons
What Is Bacon Jam?
Bacon jam is a spread made with a combination of sweet and savory flavors. An amazing jam that is surely a bacon lover’s dream is here to satiate your taste buds and sweet tooth. It
It can be paired well with appetizers, grilled meats, and a lot of other dishes. So without further ado, bring your fantasy fare out by making delicious Gordon Ramsay bacon jam in no time.
How Does Gordon Ramsay Caramelize Bacon?
Heat the olive oil and cook the bacon chunks until they turn golden brown and the fat is released. Let a spoonful of fat remain in the pan and remove the cooked bacon. Ramsay then prepares the jam sauce with onions, shallots, butter, brown sugar, salt, pepper, maple syrup, coffee, and bacon fat.
When the jam is caramelized evenly, turn off the flame. Gordon Ramsay’s caramelized bacon is ready.
What Are The Important Tips For Making Gordon Ramsay Bacon Jam Toast?
Follow the below important tips while you make Gordon Rmasya bacon jam toast.
- Take a heavy-bottomed skillet or dutch oven to make Gordon Ramsay bacon jam toast.
- Cook the bacon until the fat renders out but do not scorch the bottom.
- Simmer the jam for about 2 hours until you achieve the desired sticky consistency.
- Whenever you use the bacon jam, try pairing up with the scrambled eggs.
- You can also garnish the bacon jam toast with chopped chives and flaky salt on the top.
What Equipment Will You Need To Make Gordon Ramsay Bacon Jam Toast?
- Large Skillet – You need a large heavy skillet to make the jam. The heavy bottom ensures that the jam cooks perfectly and doesn’t stick to the skillet.
- Frying Pan – Use the frying pan to toast your bread.
- Spatula – You’ll need to stir the jam occasionally, do it with a spatula.
- Slotted Spoon – Use the spoon to add the bacon to the skillet or take it out of it.
- Kinfe – Chop the shallots using a sharp knife.
How Much Time Will You Need To Make Gordon Ramsay Bacon Jam Toast?
|Preparation Time||Cooking Time||Total Time|
|15 Minutes||2 Hours 45 Minutes||3 Hours|
What Ingredients Will You Need To Make Gordon Ramsay Bacon Jam Toast?
- Bread – The bread is the base for the bacon jam toast. Gordon Ramsay uses sourdough bread, but you can use whatever you want.
- Butter – The butter makes the toasts even more delicious.
- Bacon – Bacon adds a certain richness and taste to the jam. Most of its fat is rendered away and then drained. So, you can have it without guilt.
- Shallots – Other than adding volume, caramelized onions and shallots add a rich, savory sweetness to the jam.
- Maple Syrup – The natural sweetness can be added with a few drops of maple syrup.
- Brown Sugar – Add sweetness to the bacon and jam toast with the sugar to your taste.
- Chili Flakes – Balance the sweetness with a pinch of chili flakes.
- Coffee – Coffee adds bitterness to the jam, which actually fits perfectly with the array of flavors.
- Apple Cider Vinegar – With all the flavors on the list, how can we miss the sour flavor? Add apple cider vinegar to tang things a bit.
Steps To Make Gordon Ramsay Bacon Jam Toast
1. Cooking The Bacon
Start by adding the bacon to the skillet and cook until the fat is removed and the bacon is cooked through brown and crispy. Take out the bacon and set it aside. Drain the fat only by keeping a tablespoon in the skillet.
2. It’s Time To Caramelize
Then, add the shallots and onions to the skillet and cook them on low heat until they caramelize.
3. Add-In The Flavor
When the onions are caramelized, add maple syrup, brown sugar, coffee, and apple cider vinegar. Cook it on low heat for about 10 minutes. Further, add the cooked bacon chunks and let it combine evenly.
4. Pump Up The Jam
When the jam is thick and looks brown, remove the skillet from heat. Toast the bread in butter and serve the jam over the toast.
|Saturated Fat||2.1 g|
|Monounsaturated Fat||1 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat||2.8 g|
How Will Gordon Ramsay Bacon Jam Toast Recipe Look And Taste Like?
Once the jam is cooked, it will look brownish and chunky. If you want a smoother consistency, you can also blend the mixture. When it comes to taste, the jam has a strong flavor of bacon and is mostly sweet. But you’ll find consistent savory, bitter, as well as hot notes in a jam. The buttery toast is the best companion to this breakfast delight.
How Do You Know When Bacon Jam Is Done?
Simmer the bacon jam until you achieve brick-brown color and thickened the consistency. You need to cook the bacon jam over low heat for about 1 or 2 hours to achieve a perfect blend of flavors.
How Long Does Homemade Gordon Ramsay Bacon Jam Last?
Homemade Gordon Ramsay bacon jam toast can be safely refrigerated for up to two to four weeks. Make sure to store the bacon jam in any airtight container.
What Can You Pair Up With Gordon Ramsay Bacon Jam?
The possibilities to mingle with Gordon Ramsay bacon jam are endless. However, some of the best options to pair up the Gordon Ramsay bacon jam are burgers, pizza, and much more.
This multipurpose bacon jam is a flavor explosion that also goes well with the starters and appetizers. Check out the suggestions below if you need a little nudge.
- Pizza – Spread a big dollop of the homemade Gordon Ramsay on the pizza before you put it in the oven to bake.
- Sandwiches – Spoon some bacon jam over the grilled or cheese sandwiches for pronounced flavors.
- Brussel Sprouts – People mix a spoonful of bacon jam into a bowl of roasted brussel sprouts. This will bring out mildly sweet earthy flavors.
- Steaks – Pair the bacon jam with steaks to balance the flavors. You can top off pork tenderloin or ribeye steak with chunks of bacon jam.
Can Bacon Jam Be Frozen?
Yes, the bacon jam can be refrigerated for up to 2-4 weeks. You can freeze it for longer but I would recommend not having it for more than a month. Whenever you wish to use just thaw it in the refrigerator before serving. If it is hard to spread, you can also reheat the jam in the microwave for a few seconds.
Gordon Ramsay Bacon Jam Toast Recipe
- Large Heavy Bottomed Skillet
- Slotted Spoon
- Frying Pan
- 6 slices Bread
- 3 tablespoons Butter
- 1 pound Thick Cut Bacon (cut into 1-cm slices)
- 3 Shallots (halved, sliced)
- ½ cup Maple Syrup
- ½ cup Freshly Brewed Coffee
- ½ cup Apple Cider Vinegar
- ½ cup Brown Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Chili Flakes
- Place a heavy-bottomed skillet over medium-high heat. Then, add the bacon pieces to it and make sure they are not stuck to each other. Cook the bacon pieces, occasionally stirring for about 10 minutes until the fat melts out of the bacon. Cook the bacon until it is just crisp and then spoon it out of the pan to set it aside.
- Now, drain the fat left in the skillet except about a tablespoon. Reduce the heat to medium-low heat and add the shallots and onions. Cook them for about 20-25 minutes until the onions have caramelized. If the pan gets too dry, you can add a little bit of water to moisten it.
- When the onions have caramelized, add the bacon back into the pan. Also, add maple syrup, apple cider, and coffee to it. Stir it a bit and then, add brown sugar and red pepper flakes. Increase the heat to medium-high and bring this mixture to a boil for about a minute. After boiling it for a minute, reduce the heat to a bare minimum and cook this mixture for about 2 hours until it thickens. Then, remove the skillet from heat and allow it to cool.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in a pan and toast the slices of bread in it from both sides.
- Apply the jam on the toasts and serve with soft scrambled eggs.
- Your Gordon Ramsay style bacon jam toast is ready to serve.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
How do you make toast with jam?
The toast needs to be spread liberally with butter, but the jam should be a 1-2mm screed across the top.
What is the healthiest toping options to put on toast?
The healthiest topping options that goes well with bacon and jam toast is avocado, bananas, berries, and nutty butter.
How do you make bacon taste better?
To make bacon taste better, brush uncooked bacon slices with a slurry of balsamic vinegar, maple syrup, brown sugar, or honey. This will bring out the best flavors to the bacon.
What does jam on toast mean?
Additional comment actions. Besides the literal meaning, as an expression, “jam on toast” means the best, top of the range etc..
Grab your apron and get ready to prepare Gordon Ramsay bacon and jam toast. Find all the details in the above article and let us know how it goes in the comment section below.