According to me, baking is the best method of cooking. I love to bake cookies, muffins, cakes and many other bakery stuff. My interest in baking brought me near to this dish and I found this recipe so amazing that I’m so excited to share this bread recipe with you all. I guarantee you won’t regret making this and you will make this again and again.
Here I’m presenting this special Italian dish originated from Puglia- an Italian region from where this Pugliese bread came into existence.
Puglia is basically a mountainous region and is bordered by the Ionian and Adriatic seas. Pugliese bread is a lot like ciabatta because it has very wet dough. One of its pre-fermented form is known as Biga and so many people also like it. So in this blog, I will also tell you how you can prepare biga at home.
This bread is very easy to make at home and this is favourite among the kids. So this could be a great option for something that your kids can have for the evening. Before knowing the recipe of this Pugliese Bread, let’s have a look at the ingredients.
Ingredients for Pugliese Bread
|Bread Flour||2 cups|
For Pugliese Bread
|Durum Flour||1 1/4 cups|
|Bread Flour||1 1/2 cups|
|Salt||2 1/4 tsp|
|Mashed Potatoes||1/3 cups|
|Lukewarm Water||1/3 cups|
With these handful of ingredients, we can make this yummy bread at home. Now let’s check out the timings.
How Much Time It Will Take?
|Preparation Time||Cooking Time||Total Time|
|5 minutes||20minutes||25 minutes|
You can make this bread at home in less than 30 minutes. Let’s move ahead to the directions of making this bread. Here are the steps you need to follow to make Pugliese Bread.
Pugliese Bread Recipe
Directions to Prepare Biga
- In warm water, stir the yeast and wait for 10 minutes until it becomes creamy.
- Add 1 cup of flour into it and stir it. Mix it in a food processor or beat it manually, but make sure it forms a sticky dough.
- In a lightly oiled bowl, transfer the biga. Now at room temperature, let it settle down. Allow it to rest for 24 to 48 hours.
- Refrigerate it until ready to use.
Directions to Prepare Pugliese Bread
- Take out biga from the refrigerator 1-hour before cooking.
- Cut it into small pieces and cover them with plastic wrap.
- In a separate bowl, take all the dry ingredients and mix them with dough. In the other bowl, transfer this and let it settle down for half an hour.
- Strech the dough to spread the yeast around.
- For half an hour, wait for it and then give another stretch and then let the dough rise in size.
- Mix durum flour, salt and yeast. Add biga pieces, mashed potatoes and water.
- Mix them to form a sticky ball. Add flour or water; the wetter the dough better the final bread will be.
- Use a spatula and transfer the dough to the bread flour, stretch it and fold to give the proper shape.
- Oil a large bowl and transfer the dough. Cover it with plastic wrap and let it ferment for 2 hours.
With this, your Pugliese Bread is ready. Make this at your home and I bet everyone is going to love it.
Nutritional Breakdown of Pugliese Bread
Now let’s check the nutritional content of this bread to know more about this bread’s health benefits.
How to Make to Pugliese Bread at Home | Video
Here is a video for your better understanding. If you have any confusion with the recipe, then you can watch this video. This will help you in understanding all the steps properly.
I hope you’ve liked this recipe. Try this Pugliese Bread at home and then give your feedback in the comment section below. Do check out other bread recipes in thefoodxp blog and you’ll definitely love them as well.