Squaw bread is a healthy bread made with rye flour, molasses, honey, butter, cocoa powder, and cornmeal. It is a delicious and sweet bread. You can also add raisins and nuts to it.
Squaw bread is made with rye and molasses. It was first made by German immigrants in the 1800s. They took inspiration from Native Americans. This is the reason squaw bread similar to American rye bread.
To make squaw bread, mix yeast, water, and sugar in a bowl. Then, mix flour, molasses, honey, butter, cocoa powder, salt, and cornmeal along with the yeast mixture in a mixer until the dough is soft. Put the dough in a bowl, cover it and let it rest for 1 hour. Then, place the dough on a baking tray and bake it for about 35 minutes. After that, take it out and let it cool. Then, serve.
This was just an overview of the recipe. Find the complete recipe below. But before going to the full recipe, do check out other bread recipes as well.
1. Pugliese Bread– This special Italian bread originated from Puglia. It is the Pugliese bread. It is an oval bread made from moist fermented dough and is really crispy and delicious.
2. Rustic Italian Bread– Rustic Italian bread is a crispy and delicious round bread. It is made with four simple ingredients and get ready in less than an hour. It is has a crispy outside and a spongy inside.
3. Gingerbread Loaf– It is very easy to make this recipe with fewer efforts. This recipe of bread goes perfect with a cup of coffee or tea or you can enjoy it anytime. You don’t need a special occasion to enjoy this loaf.
4. Moong Dal Stuffed Parantha– This parantha is very delicious, easy to make and is one of the best breakfast options you can consider.
Ingredients for Squaw Bread
|Rye Flour||2 ½ cups|
|All-Purpose Flour||1 cup|
|Granulated Sugar||3 teaspoons|
|Dry Yeast||1 packet|
|Warm Water||1 ½ cup|
|Cocoa Powder||2 teaspoons|
How Much Time It Will Take?
|Preparation time||Cooking time||Total time|
|1 Hour 30 Minutes||30 Minutes||2 Hours|
Squaw Bread Recipe
- Take a bowl and mix yeast, water, and sugar in it. Leave it for about 5 minutes until the yeast in the mixture starts reacting.
- Mix flour, molasses, honey, butter, cocoa powder, salt, and cornmeal along with the yeast mixture in a mixer until the dough is soft and lacks moisture.
- Put the dough ball into a lightly greased container. Cover the dough with a cotton cloth. Let the dough rest for about 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 455°C.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Sprinkle the parchment paper with cornmeal.
- Place the baking tray in the oven. Bake it until golden for about 30-35 minutes.
- After that, take it out from the oven and let it cool for some time.
So, you are done baking the Squaw bread and it is ready to eat. Enjoy this recipe with your friends and family on a lazy Sunday or whenever you want.
Nutritional Facts Of Squaw Bread
|Dietary fiber||2 g|