Manna bread is healthy and very easy to make. It has various health benefits too. This bread is considered one of the oldest food that we humans used to eat. Its history goes as far as biblical days.
The name ‘Manna’ has its own stories of origin. Different books tell different stories about the meaning of the word. Various books state that ‘Manna’ means ‘the miraculous food that helped mankind’. Another translation of the word is ‘unexpected gift from God’.
To make Manna bread, soak the wheat berries in water for one day until they sprout. Then, put the wheat berries, raisins, cinnamon, and salt in a mixer and blend until a smooth dough is formed. Roll the dough into a ball and place it on a baking tray. Bake it for about 3 hours. Take it out after that and let it cool. Your Manna bread is ready.
This is just an overview of the recipe. Find the complete recipe below. But before going to the full recipe, do check out other bread recipes as well.
1. Pugliese Bread– This special Italian bread originated from Puglia. It is the Pugliese bread. It is an oval bread made from moist fermented dough and is really crispy and delicious.
2. Buttermilk Cornbread– Cornbread is a form of bread that is more fluffy, spongy, and has a sweet aroma. This bread is a famous American cuisine that is a standard American breakfast.
3. Gingerbread Loaf– It is very easy to make this recipe with fewer efforts. This recipe of bread goes perfect with a cup of coffee or tea or you can enjoy it anytime. You don’t need a special occasion to enjoy this loaf.
4. Orange Cranberry Bread– This moist & flavorful orange cranberry bread is packed with orange zest and tart cranberries, topped with cinnamon streusel, and finished with orange glaze.
Ingredients for Manna Bread
|Wheat Berries||2 cups|
|Sea Salt||1 teaspoon|
How Much Time It Will Take?
|Preparation time||Cooking time||Total time|
|1 Day||3 Hours||1 Day 3 Hours|
Manna Bread Recipe
- Take a large bowl and fill it with water.
- Put the wheat berries into it and let it rest for one whole day.
- When the size of the wheat berries has doubled, cover it with any cloth or breathable lid.
- The next day, wash and rinse the wheat berries again. Let them dry completely and keep them aside.
- Check the sprouts the next day. They should be as long as the kernel.
- Make sure the sprouts are not extra long as it will make them taste bitter.
- Now, you can start making the bread.
- Put raisins, salt, cinnamon, and wheat berries into a mixer. Mix them until a soft dough is formed.
- Mold the ready dough into a loaf shape with greased hands. Place on a baking tray lined with parchment paper.
- Place the baking tray in the oven. Bake it for about three hours at 120oC.
- Take it out of the oven. Let it cool for some time and then, slice it into pieces.
Manna Bread Nutritional Breakdown
|Dietary fiber||7 g|