The KFC gravy is delicious and thick, and you can serve it with a lot of things. The gravy is usually served with mashed potatoes and the KFC bowl at the restaurant. But you can serve it with a lot of things like fried chicken and biscuits. We know that the KFC mash and gravy is a classic. So, today we’ll see how to make KFC like gravy at home.
The KFC gravy recipe includes cooking flour in butter with onion until it is all roasted and golden. Then, chicken and beef bouillon is added to it along with some water and a touch of black pepper. This mixture is cooked for some time until a thick and luscious gravy is ready.
This gravy has not one but two types of bouillon in it, chicken and beef. The bouillons are like concentrated flavor bombs that add a great umami flavor to the gravy. Now, I can understand why the KFC gravy is so irresistible. Here’s how you can make the KFC gravy. But before getting the instructions, check out our other copycat recipes from KFC down below.
1. KFC Potato Wedges – KFC potato wedges are crispy and lightly flavored potato bites. The potato wedges are dipped in egg and milk mixture then tossed with the seasoned flour. These potatoes have the flavors of pepper, paprika, garlic, and salt. These potatoes are then fried until its golden brown.
2. KFC Honey BBQ Sauce – KFC honey BBQ sauce is sweet n’ spicy sauce. This sauce is smooth blend of scrumptious flavors from onion powder, chili powder, and seasoning spices. The liquid smoke adds smoky BBQ flavors to this sauce. This sauce can be used to glaze chicken or as a dip.
3. KFC 11 Secret Herbs and Spices – KFC 11 secret herbs and spices is a spice blend made from KFC’s 11 secret herbs and pieces like paprika, onion powder, salt, rubbed sage, garlic powder, allspice, oregano, chili powder, basil leaves, marjoram leaves, etc. You can use this spice blend to add herbal aromatic flavors to many main course dishes.
4. KFC Chicken Nuggets – KFC chicken nuggets are bite-sized fried chicken pieces. These chicken bites are crispy and filled with the flavors of egg mixture and hot sauce. You can enjoy these spicy chicken nuggets as appetizer with you meal. This dish is served with a ketchup, dip, or BBQ sauce.
What's In The Post
What Equipment Will You Need To Make KFC Gravy?
- Large Skillet – Cook your thick gravy in a large skillet.
- Whisk, Spatula, and Knife – Use the whisk to make the roux. The spatula will come in handy when stirring stuff. The knife will help you finely chop the onions.
How Much Time Will You Need To Make KFC Gravy?
What Ingredients Will You Need To Make KFC Gravy?
- All-Purpose Flour, Onion, and Butter – Make the flavorful roux by cooking onions and flour in butter.
- Beef Bouillon and Chicken Bouillon – Add a rich umami flavor to your gravy with chicken and beef bouillon.
- Water – Add the water to dilute the gravy a bit and cook it better.
- Freshly Ground Black Pepper – Add a peppery touch to the gravy with some freshly ground black pepper.
Steps To Make KFC Gravy
1. Whisky Business
Let’s make the golden brown roux for the gravy. Take a large skillet and melt half of the butter in it. Add the chopped onions to it and cook them for 5 minutes until they become translucent.
After that, add and melt the remaining butter into the skillet. Also, add the flour into the skillet. Mix it using a whisk constantly for about 20 minutes until the flour toasts and turns golden brown. Your roux is now ready. It’s time to transform it into a delicious gravy.
2. The Journey From Roux To Gravy
Now, add water along with chicken and beef bouillon to the skillet and whisk them so that the gravy is lump-free. Season the gravy with a touch of pepper and bring it to a boil.
Then, cook the gravy while stirring it for about 10 minutes until it is thick and rich. Your delicious KFC gravy is ready! You can ladle this rich gravy over mashed potatoes, some biscuits, or just take a direct sip.
How Will The KFC Gravy Looks And Taste Like?
The KFC gravy has a dark brown color and a thick and smooth texture. The gravy also has a rich taste. The roasted flour roux makes it luscious and thick. The chicken and beef bouillon add a rich umami flavor to the gravy, which makes it mind-blowing. It’s like Colonel Sanders said, “If you make it right, you can just have the gravy.”
KFC Gravy Recipe
- Large Skillet
- 5 tablespoons All-Purpose Flour
- 1 small Onion (finely chopped)
- 3 tablespoons Butter (divided)
- 2 teaspoons Beef Bouillon
- 2 teaspoons Chicken Bouillon
- 2 ½ cups Water
- Freshly Ground Black Pepper (to taste)
- Take a large skillet and melt half of the butter in it. Add the chopped onions to it and cook them for 5 minutes until they become translucent. After that, add and melt the remaining butter into the skillet. Also, add the flour into the skillet.
- Mix it using a whisk constantly for about 20 minutes until the flour toasts and turns golden brown.
- Now, add water along with chicken and beef bouillon to the skillet and whisk them so that the gravy is lump-free. Season the gravy with a touch of pepper and bring it to a boil.
- Then, cook the gravy while stirring it for about 10 minutes until it is thick and rich. Your delicious KFC gravy is ready!
This was the recipe for the KFC gravy. Make this gravy at home and tell me in the comments how well you liked it. Were the mash and gravy amazing? Let me know. I’ll see you next time with another recipe.