The KFC potato wedges are fried potato wedges that are crispy on the outside and soft on the inside. The wedges are dipped in a milk and egg mixture. This makes them rich and soft. Then, they are dredged in seasoned flour. The lightly battered potato wedges are then fried in shortening.
Now, you may ask me why shortening? The reason why we use shortening is to give them a crisp and restaurant-like taste. You can use oil for frying if you want. But the shortening is restaurant-approved. The recipe is pretty simple to make and only takes about half an hour.
You don’t need big kitchen equipment, fancy ingredients, or sushi chef skills to make these potato wedge fries. You just need a little run to the pantry and prep of about 15 minutes. So, all there’s left to do is see the recipe. Here’s the recipe for the KFC potato wedges. But before getting the instructions, check out our other copycat recipes from KFC down below.
1. KFC Honey BBQ Sauce – KFC honey BBQ sauce is sweet n’ spicy sauce. This sauce is smooth blend of scrumptious flavors from onion powder, chili powder, and seasoning spices. The liquid smoke adds smoky BBQ flavors to this sauce. This sauce can be used to glaze chicken or as a dip.
2. KFC 11 Secret Herbs and Spices – KFC 11 secret herbs and spices is a spice blend made from KFC’s 11 secret herbs and pieces like paprika, onion powder, salt, rubbed sage, garlic powder, allspice, oregano, chili powder, basil leaves, marjoram leaves, etc. You can use this spice blend to add herbal aromatic flavors to many main course dishes.
3. KFC Chicken Nuggets – KFC chicken nuggets are bite-sized fried chicken pieces. These chicken bites are crispy and filled with the flavors of egg mixture and hot sauce. You can enjoy these spicy chicken nuggets as appetizer with you meal. This dish is served with a ketchup, dip, or BBQ sauce.
4. KFC Gravy – KFC gravy is made from smooth and flavorsome roux. This gravy has the flavors of butter, onion, and seasoning spices. It can be enjoyed with chicken, beef, or can be drizzled over the KFC bowl, or mashed potatoes. This gravy gives rich umami essence to the dish it’s paired with.
What Equipment Will You Need To Make KFC Potato Wedges?
- Large Bowls – You’ll be needing two bowls. One to make the milk and mixture and the other to make the seasoned flour.
- Large Pan – Fry your potato wedges in a heavy-bottomed large pan.
- Slotted Spoon – Use the slotted pan to take the wedges out of the milk mixture. Also, use the spoon to take out the wedges from the pan when they’re fried.
- Knife and Whisk – Use the knife for slicing the potatoes and whisk for mixing.
How Much Time Will You Need To Make KFC Potato Wedges?
|Preparation Time||Cooking Time||Total Time|
|15 Minutes||20 Minutes||35 Minutes|
What Ingredients Will You Need To Make KFC Potato Wedges?
- Russet Potatoes – Rinse and peel the russet potatoes. Then, cut them in ½ inch thick wedges.
- Milk and Egg – Mix milk and egg and dip the wedges in this mixture for some time.
- Seasoned Flour – Make the seasoned flour by mixing flour, paprika, garlic powder, seasoned salt, and ground black pepper.
- Shortening – Fry and then refry the potato wedges in shortening for that restaurant-like flavor.
Steps To Make KFC Potato Wedges
1. The Big Bowls
Take out two large bowls and keep them ready. Take one bowl and mix milk and egg in it. In the second bowl, add flour, salt, pepper, paprika, and garlic powder.
2. Dip and Dredge
Now, take the potato wedges and dip them in the milk and egg mixture for some time. Then, take them out using a slotted spoon and transfer them to the bowl with seasoned flour. Dredge them with the flour so that they get coated with the flour.
3. Shortening In The Pan
Then, heat a large pan and add about 3 inches of shortening to it. Heat the shortening to a temperature of 375℉. This will give them the perfect crisp and taste.
Gently lower the potato wedges into the shortening and fry them for about 3-4 minutes. Take them out and return them to the pan after a few minutes. Fry them again for 4-6 minutes.
Then, take the wedges out and serve them with your favorite dip. Your golden and crispy KFC potato wedges are ready!
How Will The KFC Potato Wedges Look And Taste Like?
The KFC potato wedges are golden and crisp on the outside and fluffy on the inside. The potatoes are soft and tender and the breading is crispy. The spices in the flour give the potatoes a spicy flavor. You can serve these potato wedges with any of your favorite dips and sauces.
KFC Potato Wedges Recipe
- 5 large Russet Potatoes
- 1 cup Milk
- 1 Egg
- 1 cup Flour
- ¼ teaspoon Paprika
- ½ teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 2 tablespoons Seasoned Salt
- 1 teaspoon Ground Black Pepper
- Shortening (for frying)
- Take a large bowl and mix milk and egg in it. In another bowl, add flour, salt, pepper, paprika, and garlic powder.
- Now, take the potato wedges and dip them in the milk and egg mixture for some time. Then, take them out using a slotted spoon and transfer them to the bowl with seasoned flour. Dredge them with the flour so that they get coated with the flour.
- Then, heat a large pan and add about 3 inches of shortening to it. Heat the shortening to a temperature of 375℉.
- Gently place the potato wedges into the shortening and fry them for about 3-4 minutes. Take them out and return them to the pan after a few minutes. Fry them again for 4-6 minutes.
- Then, take the wedges out and serve them with your favorite dip. Your golden and crispy KFC potato wedges are ready!
This was the copycat recipe for KFC potato wedges. Make these delicious fried wedges and tell me in the comments how well you liked them. See you with another great recipe. Happy cooking!