Fancy fish sticks are incredible in taste, and they are easy-to-make. The recipe which I bought for you includes halibut, panko – pumpkin seeds, and breadcrumbs which make these sticks crunchier and crispier.
To make fish sticks, prepare the egg, panko, and flour mixtures separately. Dredge the cuts of fish into the mixtures and bake it until crispy and brown.
Believe me, when I made these fancy fish sticks with halibut, they were amazing. So, I thought to share this recipe using halibut fish, not salmon.
But if you don’t have halibut, you can use any of its substitutes. Here is a list of halibut substitutes for you to try. Also, there are other recipes that you can have as starters, let’s check them out.
Other Starter Recipes That You Can Try
- Acorn Squash Soup Recipe
- She-Crab Soup Recipe
- Black Soup Recipe
- Grilled Chicken Wings Recipe
- Meatloaf Sliders Recipe
- Roasted Fennels Recipe
- Rumbledethumps Recipe
- Berenjenas Con Miel Recipe
- Greek Spaghetti Recipe
- Vegetarian Nachos Grande Recipe
What Equipment Will You Need To Make Fish Sticks?
- Oven – Place the dredged fish in the preheated oven and bake for 15 minutes until crispy and brown.
- Baking Tray – Line the baking sheet on a baking tray for baking the coated fish.
- Baking Sheet – Bake the fish on the baking sheet until cooked through.
- Cooking Spray – Spread cooking spray on a baking sheet to ensure the dredged fish won’t stick.
- Mixing Bowls – Prepare the creamy sauce, egg mixture, and panko breading mixture in separate mixing bowls.
- Blender – In a blender, blend chipotle pepper, panko, pumpkin seeds and cumin until crumbly.
- Whisk – Combine the creamy mixture properly with a whisk.
- Spoon – With a spoon stir the egg mixture until it looks foamy.
- Shallow Dish – Transfer the prepared mixtures to a shallow dish for dredging.
How Much Time Will You Need To Make Fish Sticks?
|Preparation Time||Cooking Time||Total Time|
|15 Minutes||25 Minutes||40 Minutes|
What Ingredients Will You Need To Make Fish Sticks?
- Halibut – I have used this firm and meaty fish fillet, halibut. Be sure to remove the skin and cut it about 1 to 1 ½-inch thick.
- Mayonnaise – Mayonnaise will add creamy texture with slight sweetness to the sauce.
- Sour Cream – Sour cream is added to make a dipping sauce as it will help thicken and make it creamy.
- Egg – Egg will provide golden brown color and unique flavor to the sticks.
- Beer – Beer will make the sticks delicate and puffy.
- Lime Juice – A tablespoon of lime juice will bring out some tart flavors to the fish sticks.
- Lemon Zest – Add a zest of about one lemon to your liking as soon as the fish is out of the oven. Citrus and fish are a match made in heaven, and that goes for these little fancy fish sticks too!
- Mustard Blend – The mustard will act as a mechanism to hold the breading on the fish.
- All-Purpose Flour – Flour will enhance the delicate texture by creating a crispy golden-brown crust while retaining its inner flakiness.
- Panko Breadcrumbs – Use panko breadcrumbs to add a crispy texture to the fish sticks.
- Pumpkinseeds Kernel – Pumpkinseeds kernel will add a mild flavor and chewy texture to the sticks.
- Chipotle Chile Pepper – Chipotle Chile pepper will add an underlying sweetness with smokey notes.
- Cumin – Cumin will accentuate the sweetness to the sticks.
- Creole Mustard – Creole mustard will add pungent bold flavors to the dipping sauce.
- Cajun Seasoning – Cajun seasoning will add bold spicy flavor with a subtle earthiness to the dipping sauce.
- Salt – The salt will draw moisture from the fillets, making the breading adhere much better.
- Black Pepper – Use black pepper to add bold flavor and create a peppery bite in your oven-baked fish.
Steps To Make Fish Sticks
1. The Saucy Sauce
Take a bowl and add mayonnaise, sour cream, creole mustard, lime juice, and Cajun seasoning in it. Combine the mixture properly with a whisk.
Cover the bowl after you whisk and leave at room temperature. Meanwhile, preheat the oven at 425°F.
2. Prepping The Mixture
Drizzle cooking spray on a baking sheet and spread the oil to heat for 15 minutes.
In a shallow bowl, add eggs, flour, black pepper, beer, mustard blend, and lime wedges. With a spoon stir the mixture until it looks foamy.
In a blender, blend chipotle pepper, panko, pumpkin seeds, and cumin until it crumbles. Transfer it to the bowl and keep it aside.
3. Let’s Dive Ride In
Sprinkle the salt over the fish. Dredge the fish in the flour mixture first, then in egg mixture, and at last in panko mixture properly.
In the oven, place the dredged fish on the baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes until crispy and brown.
Serve the fish after the baking process with sauce and lime wedges.
Finally, fish sticks are ready. Make this delightful snack at your home and you’ll love it.
How Will Fish Sticks Look And Taste Like?
Fish sticks have a mild, sweet flavor. These sticks have a thin layer of crispy coating that’s not mushy or oily. Inside is a chunk of fresh halibut that’s tender, juicy, and flaky.
Fish Sticks Recipe
- Baking Tray
- Baking Sheet
- Cooking Spray
- Mixing Bowls
- Shallow Dish
- 1 pound Halibut
- ¼ cup Mayonnaise
- ¼ cup Sour Cream
- 3 Eggs
- ½ cup Beer
- 3 tablespoons Lime Juice
- 2 tablespoons Lemon Zest
- 1½ tablespoons Creamy Mustard Blend
- ½ cup All-Purpose Flour
- ⅔ cup Panko Breadcrumbs
- ⅓ cup Pumpkinseeds Kernel
- ½ teaspoon Chipotle Chile Pepper
- 1 teaspoon Ground Cumin
- 1 tablespoon Creole Mustard
- ½ cup Cajun Seasoning
- ¼ teaspoon Black Pepper
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- In a bowl, add mayonnaise, sour cream, creole mustard, lime juice, and Cajun seasoning.
- Combine the mixture properly with a whisk and leave it at room temperature.
- At 425°F, preheat the oven.
- Drizzle cooking spray on a baking sheet and spread the oil to heat for 15 minutes.
- In a mixing bowl, add egg, flour, black pepper, beer, mustard blend, and lime wedges.
- With a spoon stir the mixture until it looks foamy.
- In a blender, blend chipotle pepper, panko, pumpkin seeds, and cumin until crumbly.
- Transfer the mixture to the bowl.
- Sprinkle the salt over the halibut.
- Dredge the fish in the flour mixture first, then in egg mixture, and at last in panko mixture properly.
- In the oven, place the dredged fish and bake for 15 minutes until crispy and golden-brown.
- Serve the fish after the baking process with sauce and lime wedges.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What fish can I use to make fish sticks?
Any white firm fish will work, cod, catfish, halibut even tilapia.
Can I make these fish sticks ahead of time?
Yes, you can bread the fish pieces and fry them (or bake them), cool completely and freeze on a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Then transfer into a freezer-safe bag and freeze for up to 1 month.
Are fish sticks good for you?
The most important thing about fish stick is that it is rich in protein, iron, and omega-3 fatty acids. These omega-3s have been known to lower your risk of heart disease; lower your cholesterol; fight cancer cells; and promote growth in brain and eyes.
What is in a fish stick?
INGREDIENTS: Alaska Pollock fillets, breadcrumb coating, vegetable oil. Wheat flour, water, yellow corn flour, sugar, salt, onion powder, whey, yeast, baking powder (baking soda, sodium aluminum phosphate, cream of tartar), natural flavor. Canola and/or soybean oil.
I hope you all have liked this fancy fish sticks. Do try it once at your home and share your experience with us in the comments below. I will definitely try to cover it in the foodxp blog.