Do you know, What is she-crab soup? She-crab soup recipe is made with female crabs. I know it sounds a little bit weird but I researched a lot, and then I came to know that in crabs – we have two types of varieties that are male crabs and female crabs. Let’s look at the quick recipe.
Melt butter in a pot, add flour, and cook for three minutes. Add onion, garlic, celery, salt, and pepper to it, and cook for five minutes. Whisk in half and half cream, chicken broth, and heavy cream.
Add sherry, hot sauce, Worcestershire sauce, and dill. Cover and cook for thirty minutes. Lastly, add crabmeat and cook for ten minutes. Serve and enjoy!
A quick tip for you: If you’re having trouble finding fresh crabs or don’t want to deal with cleaning them, you can also buy canned crab meat with roe included. One more thing to make sure is that when the soup cooks, it will get thicker. So, use the liquid to add in carefully.
So, here is the full recipe to make a she-crab soup. Let’s see the list of ingredients that we are going to use in this soup recipe. Also, there are other recipes that you can have as starters, let’s check them out.
Other Starter Recipes That You Can Try
- Honey Lemon Pepper Wings Recipe
- Pork Belly Bites Recipe
- Fried Chicken Without Buttermilk Recipe
- Chicken-In-a-Biskit Strips Recipe
- Grilled Fish With Lemon Vegetable Sauce Recipe
- Sweet And Sour Fish Recipe
- Gluten-Free Monster Cookies Without Peanut Butter Recipe
- Spicy Panamanian Ceviche Recipe
- Bisquick Sausage Balls Recipe
- Flavorful Tuna Ceviche Recipe
What Equipment Will You Need To Make She-Crab Soup?
- Stockpot – Cook the soup using a stockpot.
- Spatula – Mix all the ingredients with the use of spatula.
- Knife – Use knife to chop off the vegetables.
How Much Time Will You Need To Make She-Crab Soup?
|Preparation Time||Cooking Time||Total Time|
|15 Minutes||45 Minutes||1 Hour|
What Ingredients Will You Need To Make She-Crab Soup?
- Lump Crabmeat – Add a delicious seafood flavor and texture to soup with crabmeat.
- Butter – Add butter to create roux. It gives the soup it’s rich base.
- Half-And-Half Cream – To add a creamy and smooth texture to the soup, use half-and-half cream.
- Chicken Broth – Chicken broth provides a savory and rich base for the soup and enhances its flavor.
- Sherry Wine – Add sweet and nutty flavor to the soup by adding sherry wine.
- Heavy Cream – Add richness and creaminess to the soup with heavy cream.
- Worcestershire Sauce – For savory and umami flavors, add Worcestershire sauce.
- Hot Pepper Sauce – For spicy lovers! Use hot pepper sauce if you really love your soup extra spicy.
- All-Purpose Flour – All-purpose flour works as a thickening agent for the she-crab soup.
- Onion – For savory and pungent flavors, add chopped white onion.
- Celery Stalk – Make your soup mild and refreshing by adding chopped celery stalk.
- Garlic Cloves – For adding pungent flavor and aroma, add garlic cloves.
- Dill – Add fresh and herbaceous flavors to the soup with dill.
- Chives – Garnish your soup with fresh chives.
- Salt – Balance the taste of the soup with salt.
- Black Pepper – Add some heat and peppery flavor to the soup with black pepper.
Steps To Make She-Crab Soup
1. Making Roux
Take a large stockpot and melt butter in it over medium flame. Add flour and whisk it continuously to make a roux. Cook it for three minutes until the roux turns light brown in color. It will help in thickening the soup.
2. Adding Vegetables
Add chopped onion, garlic, and celery to the roux. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and cook for about five minutes, stirring occasionally. Vegetables will make the soup more flavorful.
Now whisk in half and half cream to the roux mixture so that no lumps are left. This helps in making the soup creamy and rich in texture.
Add chicken broth and heavy cream to the mixture, and whisk it well. After that, add half of the sherry.
3. Season It
Season the soup mixture with hot sauce, Worcestershire sauce, and dill. Cover and cook it for thirty minutes until the soup has reduced. Cooking it longer will help infuse all the flavors.
4. Add Crabmeat
Lastly, add crabmeat to the soup and cook it for another ten minutes on medium to low flame. The soup is ready. serve hot and enjoy.
How Will She-Crab Soup Look And Taste Like?
She-crab soup is a classic Southern dish that’s been around for centuries. It’s a creamy, rich soup that’s made with crab meat, along with other amazing ingredients.
It has a pale pink or orange color. When you take a spoonful of this soup, you get a velvety, smooth, and creamy texture. The soup has a rich, buttery flavor that’s both savory and sweet.
The crab meat adds a briny taste that’s reminiscent of the ocean. Overall, it’s a decadent soup that’s perfect for special occasions.
She-Crab Soup Recipe
- 1 pound Lump Crabmeat
- 5 tablespoons Butter
- 2 quarts Half-And-Half Cream
- 1 cup Chicken Broth
- ½ cup Sherry Wine
- ½ cup Heavy Cream
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 teaspoon Hot Pepper Sauce
- 5 tablespoons All-Purpose Flour
- 1 Onion (chopped)
- 1 Celery Stalk (chopped)
- 2 Garlic Cloves
- 2 tablespoons Dill (chopped)
- 2 tablespoons Chives (chopped)
- Salt (a pinch)
- Black Pepper (to taste)
- Take a large stockpot and melt butter in it over medium flame. Add flour in it to make a smooth paste and cook it for 3 minutes.
- Add onion, garlic, and celery, sprinkle with salt and pepper, cook it continuously for about 4 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk in half and half cream so that no lumps were left.
- Add chicken broth and heavy cream and after that, add half of the sherry.
- Season the mixture with hot sauce, Worcestershire sauce, and dill. Cover and cook it for 30 minutes until soup has reduced.
- Add crabmeat and cook it for another 10 minutes on medium-low flame.
- Serve the She-Crab Soup into bowls, garnish it with a splash of remaining sherry and fresh chives.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What are the main ingredients of she-crab soup?
The main ingredients of she-crab soup are crab meat, crab roe, heavy cream, milk, butter, flour, onions, celery, chicken broth, sherry, and old bay seasoning.
Where did she-crab soup originate?
She-crab soup is originated in Charleston, South Carolina in the early 1900s.
Can I make she-crab soup without crab roe?
Crab roe is a traditional ingredient in she-crab soup, so it needs to be added.
How do I store leftover she-crab soup?
You can store she-crab soup in an airtight container for upto one week.
She-crab soup is a true delight for anyone who loves seafood. With just a few simple steps, you can recreate this classic Southern dish right in your own kitchen. Go and try this recipe at your home, and share your experience with us in the comments section below.