Rumbledethumps is a dish made from potatoes and cabbage. Its recipe is quite simple as compared to its name.
Rumbledethumps is a traditional dish that has its origin from the Scottish borders. It is basically served as a main dish and is very special in Scotland. There is an amazing story associated with rumbledethumps. In the 4th series of BBC television program Great British Menu, which aired in 2009 chef, Tom Kitchin cooked it as a part of their Scottish menu.
To make Rumbledethumps, first add water, salt and potatoes. On a medium flame, add butter and put the cabbage in it. Take this cabbage and put it along with potatoes and mash everything properly. Top it with cheese and bake it. Your rumbledethumps is ready to serve.
Till now, you have just seen the summary. The steps for the recipe are mentioned below and I am sure you can easily make it. Moving further, we will be starting up with the ingredients required.
- 400 g Swede
- 600 g Peeled and cut Potatoes
- 250 g Sliced Savoy Cabbage
- 75 g Unsalted Butter
- 25 g Cheddar Cheese
- Salt and Balck Pepper
- Firstly, preheat the oven. Then, take a pan and add water, salt, and potatoes to it and then bring it to a boil.
- When the potatoes are cooked, drain the water from the pan.
- Now, take another pan and put it on medium flame. Add in the butter and melt. Then, toss in the cabbage and cook for 2-3 minutes till it gets soft.
- Take out the cabbage and put it along with the potatoes, swede and more butter. Mash everything properly using a masher.
- Season with salt and black pepper.
- Top it with cheese and cover it. Bake it in the oven for 30 minutes, then uncover the vegetables and cook it further for 15 minutes until properly cooked and then serve.