Rich and thick, chicken demi-glace is one of the best sauces to serve with red meats like roasted and grilled steaks. Combining this sauce with the roasted veggies gives it a pronounced flavor and deeper color. So, today, let’s learn to make this recipe.
Demi-glace is French cuisine and is made by simmering bones. You can also try this recipe using chicken wings or chicken bones.
However, we have used chicken wings in our recipe version. Now, brace yourself to make an awesome recipe and turn your meat dishes into a treasure.
Chicken demi-glace can be prepared by simmering chicken wings and extracting the pronounced flavor. Remove the bones and add white wine, onion, carrot, celery, leek, peppercorns, and bay leaves.
Boil and cook for 1-2 hours. Cook once so that the mixture gets reduced by three-fourths.
The simmering of bones gives you a richer and thicker sauce. Demi-glace can also be spun into soups and stews to achieve the base with complex flavours.
Moreover, you can store this demi-glace sauce made with chicken bones for up to 6.
This article will be your guide and tell you about the required equipment, ingredients, nutritional value, and proper steps. Now, without further ado, let’s check out the recipe and other information.
In case you wish to make some more sauces, check out the other sauce recipes follow the links.
Other Sauce Recipes That You Can Try
- Hoffman House Cocktail Sauce
- Mac And Cheese Bar
- Thai Sweet Chili Sauce
- Tomato Basil Pizza Sauce
- Homemade Eel Sauce
- Tasty Chamoy Sauce
- Best Cajun Alfredo Sauce
- Easy Duck Sauce
- Quick Chili Cheese Dip
- Spicy Ranchero Sauce
What Are The Tips To Make Chicken Demi-Glace?
Now you’ve got the basics, let’s find out how to make this chicken demi-glace recipe truly fantastic!
- Don’t rush with the recipe. There is no way to make chicken demi-glace quickly. You need a long boiling time to break down the meat and draw out its nutrients and taste to get that rich, meaty flavor. This recipe requires patience.
- You can roast the vegetables and chicken in the oven to start this recipe off if you prefer. It should also work to give you a great flavor, and may let you be a little more hands-off at the start. Try both methods and see which gives you a better sauce!
- Add chicken demi-glace to any other sauces that you want to enrich. Many freezes or refrigerate this rich stock in ice cube trays and add one or two to bigger sauces, as it is too rich. You can use it as the base of any stew or soup or to make gravy.
- Try adding some herbs while cooking to further enrich the glace’s flavor. In general, you won’t need them, but if there’s a herb you particularly love, sprinkle a little into the sauce while it is reducing and give your glace an extra flavorful inflexion.
What’s The Difference Between Demi-Glace And Stock?
Stock or broth is much more watery than demi-glace, a concentrated stock. All demi-glace have stock elements—usually, those made from scratch—but not all stocks are demi-glace.
You can substitute demi-glace for stock if you have some of this shortcut stock stored in the freezer, but you’ll need to dilute it with either more store-bought stock or water.
Why Is It Called Demi-Glace?
Demi-glace is one of the rich brown sauces from classic French cuisine, made by simmering bones, aromatics, and wine for days, which extracts the gelatin from the bones, concentrates the flavors and thickens the sauce.
It is traditionally made of equal parts of veal stock and sauce espagnole, one of the five mother sauces of French cooking.
The basic recipe for demi-glace comes from the father of French cooking, Auguste Escoffier, but so do most recipes, as he’s the chef who codified the standard French recipes in the early 1900s.
“Demi-Glace” comes from the French word glace, which means icing or glaze, and “demi” because a 1:1 ratio is reduced in half.
What Equipment Will You Need To Make Chicken Demi-Glace?
- Oven – Roast chicken wings and beef chunks in the oven for two hours.
- Roasting Tray – Roast the veggies, wings, and beef shanks on a greased roasting tray.
- Stockpot – Bring the chicken wings and bones to a proper boil, and use a big stockpot with a lid to cover.
- Mesh Strainer – Use a large mesh strainer to strain off the excess chicken or bone mixture. When you strain off, you will see a thick brown-colored stock.
- Bowl – Strain off the demi-glace in a bowl and let it refrigerate for some time.
- Kitchen Tongs – Cook the veggies from both sides by flipping them with kitchen tongs.
How Much Time Will You Need To Make Chicken Demi-Glace?
|Preparation Time||Cooking Time||Total Time|
|10 Minutes||13 Hours||13 Hours 10 Minutes|
What Ingredients Will You Need To Make Chicken Demi-Glace?
- Chicken Wings – Well-known demi-glace is made with chicken wings and their bones.
- Beef – Take a chewy beef cut, including a big hunk of leg bones. It is an appropriate cut of meat used to prepare demi-glace.
- Tomato Paste – Slather a few tablespoons of tomato paste over the chicken wings to enhance the roasted flavors.
- Oil – Grease the roasting tray with any vegetable oil of your choice.
- Water – The stock will keep reducing while boiling on a simmer flame. So, to boil the chicken wings and bones, keep a minimum of three liters of water.
- Onion – Add onions to enrich your chicken demi-glace with a sweet and peppery flavor.
- Salt – Add salt to your taste and enhance its flavors.
Steps To Make Chicken Demi-Glace
1. Set In Motion
Put the oven at convection at 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease the roasting tray with vegetable oil to roast the chicken, beef, and onions.
Place the chicken wings on one roasting tray and the beef shanks and onions on the other. Place the roasting trays in the oven and roast the meat for 45 minutes.
2. Next Step
Remove the roasting trays and flip the chicken wings, beef shanks, and onions to cook on the other side.
Before you flip the chicken wings, make sure you slather some tomato paste all over the chicken wings.
Put the roasting trays back and let the chicken and beef roast for another 35 minutes.
3. Stove’s Turn
Place the chicken wings and beef shanks into the stockpot when they are roasted. Add some water without submerging the meat chunks.
Cover the pot with a lid and let it simmer for 12 hours. Keep checking the stockpot and adding the water accordingly.
4. Refrigerating Time
After 12 hours, strain off the demi-glace and remove the meat chunks from the stockpot. Let it cook down for some time and refrigerate overnight to remove all the excess fat.
The next day when you see the bowl full of demi-glace, you will see the excess fat on the top. Remove the fat and simmer for the last time.
5. Last Step
Finally, remove the fat and simmer for the last time. Turn off the flame when the demi-glaze is thickened.
Let it cool down, and put the demi-glace into the ice cube tray. When the ice cubes are ready, use them to roast the steaks.
The demi-glaze sauce can be poured on grilled steaks and fried snacks.
The jelly, thick, and flavorful chicken demi-glace is ready! Serve it with any of your favorite grilled or stewed dishes.
How Will Chicken Demi-Glace Look And Taste Like?
Chicken demi-glace is an important and traditional element in French cuisine. It is intensely flavored with a lip-smacking, smooth, and silky texture.
It is an incredibly rich sauce used in classic stews, dishes, and base for other sauces.
Demi-glace has a very rich, deep, meaty flavor. It may be salty from the concentrated stock and have a hint of sweetness due to caramelization that occurs while reducing it.
How To Store And Freeze Chicken Demi-Glace?
Keeping demi-glace on hand ensures you’ll always have some to use for your culinary endeavours. But, if you keep demi-glace in the refrigerator, it lasts up to two weeks when stored in a sealed container. You can also freeze it for three or four months.
Unlike classic demi-glace, our version will not be set up as gel when chilled. Since you can’t use the typical method of freezing demi-glace, freeze this sauce in ice cube trays, then transfer it to freezer bags.
Take out as many as you need for any given recipe and thaw.
Chicken Demi-Glace Recipe
- Roasting Tray
- Mesh Strainer
- Kitchen Tongs
- 1 lb. Chicken Wings
- 1 pound Beef
- 2 tablespoons Tomato Paste
- 2 tablespoons Oil
- 4 liters Water
- 1 ½ cup Chopped Onions
- 1 tablespoon Salt
- Put the oven at convection at 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease the roasting tray with some vegetable oil to roast the chicken, beef, and onions.
- Place the chicken wings on one roasting tray and the beef shanks along with onions on the other roasting tray.
- Further, place the roasting trays in the oven and roast the meat for 45 minutes.
- Remove the roasting trays and flip the chicken wings, beef shanks, and onions to cook on the other side.
- Before you flip the chicken wings, make sure you slather some tomato paste all over the chicken wings.
- Put the roasting trays back and let the chicken and beef roast for another 35 minutes.
- Now when all the chicken wings and beef shanks are roasted, place them into the stockpot.
- Add some water without submerging the meat chunks. Cover the pot with a lid and let it simmer for 12 hours.
- Keep checking the stockpot and adding the water accordingly.
- After 12 hours strain off the demi-glace and remove the meat chunks from the stockpot. Let it cook down for sometime and refrigerate overnight to remove all the excess fat.
- The next day when you see the bowl full of demi-glace, you will see the excess fat on the top.
- Remove the fat and simmer for the last time. Turn off the flame when the demi-glaze is thickened.
- Let it cool down and put the demi-glace into the ice cube tray. When the ice cubs are ready, use them to roast the steaks.
- The demi-glaze sauce can be further poured on top of the grilled steaks and fried snacks.
- The jelly, thick, and flavorful chicken demi-glace is ready! Serve it with any of your favorite grilled or stewed dishes.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What is demi-glace sauce made of?
The demi-glaze sauce is prepared with beef or chicken stock. The traditional demi-glaze French version is made with veal stock.
Is there such a thing as chicken demi-glace?
The chicken demi-glaze is a sauce prepared with beef, chicken, or veal stock. The taste of this sauce is succulent and satiating.
What is chicken demi-glace used for?
Chicken demi-glace is used as a stand-alone sauce in classic dishes or as a base for other sauces.
Is demi-glace a mother sauce?
Yes the traditional French chicken demi-glace is a mother sauce.
I hope you have liked this recipe of chicken demi-glace. Make it at your home. Please share your experiences and reviews with us by commenting down in the comments section below.