If you’re looking for a flavorful and satisfying dish, look no further than this baked orzo with spinach and mozzarella cheese recipe! This delectable dish combines the delicate flavors of orzo pasta, nutritious spinach, and creamy mozzarella cheese to create a truly irresistible meal.
To make this dish, first, you need to cook the Orzo. Then, you need to cook onions, garlic, spinach, and diced tomatoes. Mix the Orzo with this spinach mixture, and you’re done!
You can also innovate this dish with many different vegetables that will add richness to the dish. You could also increase the item’s flavor by including different varieties of toppings of your choice.
It has a unique shape that makes it perfect for absorbing flavors and sauces, making it a versatile ingredient for a wide range of recipes. For this particular dish, we recommend using RiceSelect Orzo, known for its high quality and exceptional taste.
A detailed version of this recipe is given below. Let us see what you need and how you prepare this dish. You can find RiceSelect Orzo here.
What's In The Post
What Equipment Will You Need To Make Baked Orzo With Spinach And Mozzarella Cheese?
- Oven – To cook the Orzo and then bake the dish with the gravy and the toppings.
- Skillet – You’ll need a skillet to mix in all the ingredients and cook them.
- Whisk – A whisk will help you combine and mix the gravy properly.
- Baking Sheet – A baking sheet is needed to line up the Orzo and layer it with the gravy to be baked in the oven.
How Much Time Will You Need To Make Baked Orzo With Spinach And Mozzarella Cheese?
|Preparation Time||Cooking Time||Total Time|
|10 Minutes||20 Minutes||30 Minutes|
What Ingredients Will You Need To Make Baked Orzo With Spinach And Mozzarella Cheese?
- RiceSelect® Orzo – This is a long grain-like pasta that gives uniqueness to the dish.
- Olive Oil – Olive oil adds some flavor to the dish and gives the pasta an exceptional shine.
- Onions – Onions are the main vegetables for the Orzo pasta to make the dish more delectable.
- Garlic – Diced garlic increases the aroma and the flavor of the pasta.
- Spinach – Spinach adds nutritional value and a creamy taste to the dish.
- Tomatoes – You’ll need pureed form of tomatoes to form the base of the gravy.
- Oregano – Oregano is a preferred topping for a pasta dish that adds some flavor.
- Basil – Basil is a healthy herb to spruce up the dish.
- Salt – Accentuate the taste of the dish with some salt.
- Black Pepper – A little black pepper make the dish the right kind of warm and peppery.
- Mozzarella Cheese – To add creaminess and richness to the dish, mozzarella is a must.
- Fresh Basil Leaves – To garnish and top the pasta, I recommend you use fresh basil leaves.
Steps To Make Baked Orzo With Spinach And Mozzarella Cheese
1. Prepare The Orzo
Begin your cooking process by preheating your oven to 375°F (190°C). Cook the RiceSelect® Orzo according to the package instructions until it is al dente. Once cooked, drain the Orzo and set it aside.
2. Prepare the Gravy
Take a large skillet to prepare the gravy and heat olive oil in it over medium heat. Add the diced onion, minced garlic, and sauté until fragrant and translucent.
Next, add the chopped fresh spinach to the skillet and cook until it wilts down. Then, pour in the can of diced tomatoes, including the juice.
Stir in the dried oregano, dried basil, salt, and black pepper. Allow the mixture to simmer for about 5 minutes to blend the flavors.
3. Layer The Baking Sheet
Transfer the cooked Orzo to a large baking dish. Pour the spinach and tomato sauce over the Orzo, ensuring that all the pasta is evenly coated.
Mix well to combine the ingredients. Spread the shredded mozzarella cheese over the top of the orzo mixture. The melted cheese will create a deliciously gooey and golden crust.
4. Baking The Pasta
Place the baking dish in the preheated oven and bake for approximately 20 minutes or until the cheese is melted and bubbly. Once baked, remove the dish from the oven and let it cool for a few minutes. Garnish with fresh basil leaves if desired.
How Will The Baked Orzo With Spinach And Mozzarella Taste Like?
This dish tastes like a cross between spinach lasagna and pizza. It will be creamy and quite rich, with a smooth texture that melts in your mouth. The pasta is shaped differently and mixes well with all the mentioned ingredients.
The flavor is reminiscent of lasagna and is easily digestible. The presence of spinach spruces up the texture and the taste of the dish in addition to making it nutritionally viable. It is crunchy, and the wilted leaves add to the cheese to smoothen the layers.
The basil leaves as toppings are a perfect choice and are an addition in order to elevate the aroma of the dish. It also gives some kind of a crunch to the pasta, and the mozzarella is the feather in the cap for this enchanted dish.
Tips To Make A Perfect Baked Orzo Dish
Ensure your Baked Orzo with Spinach and Mozzarella Cheese turns out perfectly every time; here are a few secrets to keep in mind:
- Don’t overcook the Orzo: Since the Orzo will continue cooking in the oven, make sure to cook it al dente on the stovetop to prevent it from becoming mushy.
- Season generously: Don’t be shy when it comes to seasoning. Combining dried oregano, dried basil, salt, and black pepper adds depth and flavor to the dish.
- Experiment with additional ingredients: While this recipe is already delicious as is, feel free to add your own twist by including ingredients like roasted red peppers, olives, or even cooked chicken for a heartier version.
Baked Orzo With Spinach And Mozzarella Cheese Recipe
- Baking Sheet
- 2 cups RiceSelect® Orzo
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 Onion (diced)
- 2 cloves Garlic (minced)
- 4 cups Fresh Spinach (chopped)
- 1 can Tomatoes (diced)
- 1 teaspoon Dried Oregano
- ½ teaspoon Dried Basil
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- ¼ teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1 cup Mozzarella Cheese (shredded)
- Fresh Basil Leaves (For Garnish)
- Begin by preheating your oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Cook the RiceSelect® Orzo according to the package instructions until it is al dente.
- Drain the Orzo and set it aside.
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the diced onion and minced garlic, and sauté until they become fragrant and translucent.
- Add the chopped fresh spinach to the skillet and cook until it wilts down.
- Then, pour in the can of diced tomatoes, including the juice.
- Stir in the dried oregano, basil, salt, and black pepper, and allow the mixture to simmer for about 5 minutes to let the flavors blend.
- Transfer the cooked Orzo to a large baking dish. Pour the spinach and tomato sauce over the Orzo, ensuring that all the pasta is evenly coated.
- Sprinkle the shredded mozzarella cheese over the top of the orzo mixture. The melted cheese will create a deliciously gooey and golden crust.
This is a wonderful recipe; you can experiment with it at your convenience. It works as a separate meal or even as a side dish. It can be sided with salads or roasted garlic bread and baguettes. It is also appropriate as a party dish and quite convincing as a potluck meal.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
How does the baked orzo pasta with spinach and mozzarella taste like?
It tastes like a cross between spinach lasagna and pizza. It will be creamy and quite rich, with a smooth texture that melts in your mouth.
What are the tips for the best orzo pasta?
Three tips to make the best orzo pasta are;
1. Don’t overcook the Orzo
2. Season generously
3. Experiment with additional ingredients