Purple Sweet Potato Recipe
Purple sweet potato pie has deliciously dense and creamy texture with a little balance of sweetness. Try this recipe and enjoy it with your friends and family.
Sweet Potato Pie
- 2 cups Purple sweet potatoes (mashed)
- 1 cup Almond milk (or other milk of your choice)
- 1/2 cup Maple syrup (or coconut nectar)
- 1/4 cup Dairy free butter (melted)
- 3 tablespoons Corn starch
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon Nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 cups Unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup Vegetable Shortening
- 1/2 cup Cold butter (or extra shortening)
- 1 tablespoon Maple syrup (or sugar)
- 8-10 tablespoon Ice-cold water (depending on your climate)
- milk of choice or Sugar for sprinkling on dough
Combine flour and salt in a large mixing bowl. Cut in shortening and/or butter with a pastry blender or fork until mixture is crumbly and no large clumps of fat remain.
Stir in sweetener and water, a tablespoon at a time, just until dough comes together. It should be soft but not sticky. If the dough is crumbly, add more water
Divide dough in half, covering the second half. Take the other half and roll into a large circle. I roll in between two pieces of parchment paper to keep it from sticking.
Use parchment paper to invert dough into a 9-inch pie pan and carefully fit into the bottom and up the sides of the pan. Trim excess edges and crimp or decorate edges as desired.
Cover and place pie crust into the refrigerator while you make the filling.
To Make Leaf Cut Outs
Preheat the oven to 375F.
Roll about 2nd half of the dough in between two parchment papers about 1/8 inch thick. Use cutters of your choice.
Place the cut-outs on the parchment-lined baking sheet. Brush with milk and sprinkle some sugar.
Bake for 15-20 minutes until the cut out are lightly brown. Remove them out and let them cool completely to decorate the pie as desired.
To make Purple Sweet Potato Filling
Pre heat the oven to 375F.
Place 3 cups of diced potatoes into a large pot. Add water and place it on stove.
Bring to a boil over high heat. Cover and reduce heat to a simmer. Cook potatoes until they're fork-tender
Mash the potatoes slightly and blend them into a high powered blender. Add milk, maple syrup, butter, corn starch, vanilla, cinnamon and nutmeg to potatoes. Blend the mixture until smooth.
Pour filling onto the prepared pie crust and place the pan on a cookie sheet.
Add the cut outs if you want to decorate the crust.
Place it into the oven on the middle rack and bake for 45-55 minutes. The filling at the center may still be a little soft. It will set firm as it cools.
Remove it from the oven and set it aside to cool. After some time put it in a refrigerator.
- You can use the decoration of your choice.
- Use back of the knife to gently create the veins of the leaves.
- If the pie seems too liquid, you can decorate the pie after baking it.
Calories: 1986kcal | Carbohydrates: 162g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 149g | Saturated Fat: 34g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 43g | Monounsaturated Fat: 64g | Trans Fat: 21g | Sodium: 3606mg | Potassium: 754mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 110g | Vitamin A: 6IU | Vitamin C: 15mg | Calcium: 524mg | Iron: 1mg