Make some healthy choices for Thanksgiving dinner! Start it off with a fresh winter vegetable salad. This salad bursts with perfectly balanced natural flavors and is made in minutes before you can serve it. No doubt! It’s a warmer and a comforting alternative for dairy or animal proteins. So, get ready to make this meatless winter treat for Thanksgiving dinner.
Winter vegetable salad is all about roasted seasonal veggies coated with a lightly flavored dressing. You can garnish it with nuts, bacon (optional), or pomegranate seeds. You can also switch the squash with sweet potatoes as they also give mild sweetness to the salad. Well! If you feel like adding more veggies to the salad, go ahead! It’s Thanksgiving, so feel free to be more creative with winter greens!
Before heading to the recipe instructions for winter vegetable salad, check out the list of equipment and the ingredients below. This recipe requires simple equipment that you might already have in your kitchen. To be sure if the ingredients are available at hand, read the ingredients list I’ve provided below. Try this recipe and decorate your Thanksgiving winter table with a bowlful of winter greens. But before you read out the entire recipe, check out other appetizing salads from our blog.
1. Sesame Caesar Salad-Sesame caesar salad is a traditional caesar salad tossed in Tahini Caesar dressing and sesame seeds. It has lettuce and kale leaves with chickpea croutons. The lettuce and kale add freshness to the salad and croutons add a delicious crunch to the salad.
2. Just Keeps Getting Better Lentil Salad– Just keeps getting better lentil salad has fresh and healthy lettuce and kale leaves tossed with lemon juice, lentils, garlic, and cumin seeds. The almonds add a delicious crunch with red pepper add spiciness and heat to the salad.
3. Raw And Roasted Dinner Salad– Raw and roasted dinner salad has crispy red cabbage with roasted squash. This salad is seasoned with salt and pepper and is filled with the flavors of lemon juice, honey, salt, and Tahini dressing. It’s a perfect salad for the fall.
4. Broccoli Caesar Salad– Broccoli caesar salad is s delicious salad filled with broccoli florets and cabbage. It’s loaded with the flavors of salt, mustard, lemon juice, parmesan cheese, and chopped anchovies. This salad is finished with grated cheese and freshly ground black pepper.
What Equipment Will You Need For Winter Vegetable Salad?
- Bowl- Use a large bowl to combine all the elements of the salad before serving it. Use a small bowl to prepare the Dijon salad dressing.
- Roasting tray- You’ll need a roasting tray to roast the veggies for the salad.
- Spatula- Use a spatula to mix the ingredients of the salad in the bowl.
- Spoon- You can use a spoon to stir the ingredients of the salad dressing in the bowl.
- Oven- To roast the veggies for the salad, use an oven.
- Knife- You can use a chef’s knife or any sharp kitchen knife to cut the vegetables for the salad.
- Parchment paper- To prevent the veggies from sticking on the roasting tray, line the tray with parchment paper.
How Much Time Do You Need To Make Winter Vegetable Salad?
|Preparation Time||Cooking Time||Total Time|
|5 Minutes||40 Minutes||45 Minutes|
What Ingredients Will You Need For Winter Vegetable Salad?
- Butternut squash- Use a small butternut squash to add a slightly sweet flavor to the salad. Peel the squash and slice it into small bite-sized cubes.
- Brussels sprouts- Cut Brussels sprouts into halves for the salad.
- Beets- Slice two heads of beetroot into bite-size cubes to add a distinct color and flavor to the salad.
- Olive oil- You’ll need two tablespoons of olive oil to roast the veggies and to combine the flavors and spices with the veggies in the salad.
- Salt- Add a pinch of salt to have a better taste of the salad.
- Black pepper- A half teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper to add some heat to the salad.
- Garlic powder- Add garlic powder to give a spicy flavor to the salad.
- Spring salad mix- Use a 16-ounce bag of spring salad mix for this salad. It contains arugula, spinach, Butter lettuce, and other leafy veggies for the salad.
- Pomegranate seeds- You can garnish this salad with a half cup of pomegranate seeds. It gives a slightly nutty and fruity flavor to the salad.
- Pecans- Sprinkle a half cup of pecans to give a more nutty flavor to the salad.
Maple Dijon Dressing
- Apple cider vinegar- The apple cider vinegar gives a sour taste and blends well with the flavors of the salad. It also helps in better digestion of the salad ingredients.
- Maple syrup- Just one-fourths cup of pure maple syrup perfectly balances the bitterness of the vinegar and adds sweetness to the salad dressing.
- Dijon mustard- You can add a distinctive flavor of mustard seeds in the salad by adding a tablespoon of Dijon mustard to the salad dressing.
- Olive oil- Mix all the salad dressing ingredients in a two-thirds cup of extra virgin olive oil. It dissolves all the flavors better and keeps the dressing smooth and runny.
- Salt- Don’t forget to add a half teaspoon of salt to the salad dressing to enhance the flavors and to give an extra lift to the salad.
Steps To Make Winter Vegetable Salad
1. Roast the Veggies
Place butternut squash, beetroot, Brussels sprouts on the roasting tray lined with parchment paper. Drizzle some olive oil and sprinkle salt, garlic powder, and pepper over them. Toss the veggies to coat them with spices and oil. Bake in the preheated oven (375 F) for about 35 to 40 minutes until the veggies are fork-tender. Remove from the oven and set them aside to cool.
2. Prep the Salad Dressing
For the dressing, combine Dijon mustard with apple cider vinegar, maple syrup, and olive oil. Add a half teaspoon of salt and mix to form a smooth salad dressing.
3. Combine the Salad Elements and Serve
For the salad, create a bed of green leafy veggies in a large bowl. Add roasted veggies and pour in the salad dressing. Toss them all together to coat the veggies and leaves with the delicious salad dressing. Serve immediately.
|Saturated Fat||7 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat||8 g|
|Monounsaturated Fat||37 g|
|Vitamin A||22099 IU|
|Vitamin C||116 mg|
How Will Winter Vegetable Salad Look and Taste?
Our winter vegetable salad is ready! Plunge in your fork and take a bite of these delicious roasted veggies mixed with lettuces, spinach, and arugula leaves. These healthy and colorful veggies are flavored with Dijon mustard dressing and are spiced up with garlic powder and black pepper. It’s a wonderful winter salad for a Thanksgiving meal. Try it and enjoy it with your family.
Winter Vegetable Salad Recipe
- Roasting Tray
- Parchment Paper
- 1 small Butternut Squash (peeled and cubed)
- 16 ounces Brussels Sprouts
- 2 Beetroots (peeled and cubed)
- 16 ounces Winter Greens
- 1/2 cup Pomegranate Seeds
- 1/2 cup Pecans
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Garlic Powder
For Salad Dressing
- 1 tablespoon Dijon Mustard
- 1/4 cup Pure Maple Syrup
- 1/4 cup Apple Cider Vinegar
- 2/3 cup Olive Oil (extra virgin)
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt (to taste)
- Place the cubes of butternut squash, beetroot and halved Brussels sprouts on the roasting tray lined with parchment paper. Drizzle some olive oil over them and season them with garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
- Bake the veggies for about 35 to 40 minutes in the preheated oven (375 F). Now, add Dijon mustard, apple cider vinegar, maple syrup, and olive oil to a bowl. Whisk them to combine and season this dressing with salt.
- Take a large bowl, add lettuce leaves (or the winter greens) to it. Add roasted veggies, and dressing to the bowl. Toss them together and garnish with pecans and pomegranate seeds.
Did you try this recipe? Tell me in the comments below and try other recipes too.