Cornbread is a staple in many Southern homes, with many variations. If you enjoy having cornbread for a meal, you must try out the White Lily cornbread recipe.
For the ones new to this dish, cornbread is a bread made out of cornmeal. It is a light crumbly bread that comes in sweet or savory flavors.
This bread can be paired with many food items, which I will tell you about in the article below.
To make the White Lily cornbread recipe, you only need a handful of ingredients. These include White Lily enriched self-rising white cornmeal mix, buttermilk, all-vegetable shortening, pure vegetable oil, egg, and sugar (optional).
This cornbread recipe is super quick to make. Check out how to make White Lily cornbread with detailed instructions below.
What Equipment Will You Need To Make White Lily Cornbread?
- Baking Pan – You will need a baking pan to bake the cornbread.
- Bowl – A bowl will be required to mix the ingredients.
- Oven – An oven will be required to bake the cornbread.
- Whisk – A whisk will help you beat the egg.
- Toothpick – A toothpick will be used to check whether the cornbread is baked properly.
How Much Time Will You Need To Make White Lily Cornbread?
|Preparation Time||Cooking Time||Total Time|
|10 Minutes||25 Minutes||40 Minutes|
What Ingredients Will You Need To Make White Lily Cornbread?
- All-Vegetable Shortening – To bake cornbread, you will need one teaspoon of all-vegetable shortening to grease the baking pan.
- Egg – To bind the ingredients, you will need one egg.
- White Lily® Enriched Self-Rising White Cornmeal Mix – To make the bread, you will require White Lily enriched self-rising white cornmeal mix.
- Buttermilk or Milk – To raise the bread, you will need one and a half cups of buttermilk or one-fourth cups of milk.
- Vegetable Oil – To keep the bread moist, you will need one-fourth cup of pure vegetable oil.
- Sugar (optional) – Sugar is optional. If you wish to have cornbread on the sweeter side, you can add one to two tablespoons of sugar.
Steps To Make White Lily Cornbread
Preheat the oven to 425°F. Add shortening into an 8-inch round or square baking pan or 8-inch ovenproof skillet. Place your baking pan in the oven to heat for about 5 minutes.
2. Mix The Ingredients
In a medium bowl, whisk the egg. Stir in cornmeal mix, sugar, oil, and buttermilk. The batter will be lumpy.
Once the shortening has melted, tilt the skillet to coat the bottom with it. Pour the cornbread batter into the skillet. Bake it for 25 to 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes clean.
How To Serve White Lily Cornbread?
Cornbread is an item that goes with a ton of other dishes. Below mentioned are the cornbread pairings you can try.
- Ground Beef Chili – Cornbread and beef chili are a classic combination. This hearty combination requires nothing else.
- Meatloaf – Meatloaf is a sumptuous main course item. You can turn it into a complete meal by pairing it with cornbread.
- Soup – If you love a healthy soup for dinner, you can pair it up with slices of cornbread on the side.
- Stuffed Bell Peppers – The best way to have cheesy stuffed bell peppers is to serve them with savory cornbread.
- Slow Cooker Pot Roast – The simple flavors of cornbread also combine with slow cooker pot roast.
- BBQ Baked Ribs – BBQ baked ribs are a delicious main course dish. You can pair it up with slices of warm cornbread.
|Saturated Fat||2 g|
How Will White Lily Cornbread Look And Taste Like?
The recipe, White Lily cornbread makes a savory cornbread that goes perfectly with several Southern dishes. It’s light in color and has a rich and savory taste with a subtle hint of sweetness.
White Lily Cornbread Recipe
- 2 cups White Lily® Enriched Self-Rising White Cornmeal Mix
- 1 teaspoon All-Vegetable Shortening
- 1-2 tablespoon Sugar (optional)
- 1 large Egg
- 1½ cups Buttermilk
- ¼ cup Vegetable Oil
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Add shortening into an 8-inch round or square baking pan or 8-inch ovenproof skillet. Place it in the oven to heat for about 5 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the egg. Stir in cornmeal mix, sugar, oil, and buttermilk. The batter will be lumpy.
- Once the shortening has melted, tilt the skillet to coat the bottom with it.
- Pour the cornbread batter into the skillet.
- Bake it for 25 to 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Frequently Answered Questions (FAQs)
Is it better to use milk or buttermilk in cornbread?
Buttermilk adds a rich buttery flavor to the cornbread.
What makes Southern cornbread different?
Northern cornbread isn’t very sweet. It is made with one egg and yellow cornmeal to achieve a crumbly texture.
Does White Lily cornmeal have flour in it?
White Lily Cornmeal is made from whole kernels of corn.
Which is healthier white or yellow cornmeal?
Yellow cornmeal is considered to be healthier than white as it contains slightly more nutritional value.
How should we store White Lily cornbread?
Cornbread can be stored at room temperature for two days. However, you should refrigerate it if you have leftovers for more than two days.
What happens if you use milk instead of buttermilk?
The use of buttermilk gives the best results because of its acidity level.
Try out this easy cornbread recipe and pair it with the dishes mentioned above to have a great meal. If you have questions regarding this recipe, feel free to ask me in the comments below.
Disclaimer – The images added in this blog post have been taken from Insanely Good Recipes