Goat meat is one of the most flavorful meats available. However, not many people have tried this meat yet. Are you one of them? If you are, you are in the right place because, in this article, I’m going to tell you what goat taste like.
Goat meat has a strong meaty taste. It is considered to be gamey because of its strong taste. It is soft and tender in texture. We could say that goat taste like venison meat to an extent.
Goat meat is somewhat underrated. It can be used for cooking a wide variety of dishes, including steaks and burgers. Goat meat has a very pronounced meat flavor. Hence if you are someone who likes meat taste, you are going to love goat meat.
Trying a new dish isn’t easy, especially when it’s a meat item. You might have a lot of doubts in your mind regarding its taste, health benefits, and much more. I read your mind and have included all the answers to your questions.
What Is Goat Meat?
Most of you might already know what a goat is. But even then, we have to be considerate to those who might not be familiar with goats.
Scientific goat fact: Goats are mammals belonging to the Bovidae family. There are over 3000 goat breeds, and they are one of the earliest animals that humans have kept. They are widely used for their milk and meat.
Goats are widely seen all over the world. However, sometimes people confuse them with sheep. Even though goat meat isn’t common in Us, it is quite common in some Asian countries like India and Pakistan.
Explore The Taste Of Other Foods We’ve Covered
- What Does Beaver Meat Taste Like?
- What Does Bear Meat Taste Like?
- What Does Bison Meat Taste Like?
- What Does Elk Taste Like?
- What Does Liver Taste Like?
- What Does Lamb Taste Like?
- What Does Goat Cheese Taste Like?
- What Does Feta Cheese Taste Like?
- What Does Duck Taste Like?
- What Does Goose Taste Like?
What Does Goat Meat Taste Like?
Since goat meat is a kind of farm-fed meat, it gets often compared to that beef. However, both goat meat and beef are very different. Goat meat has a particular taste of its own.
Goat meat has a bold taste to it. It has an earthy flavor to it with a mildly sweet undertone. Unlike beef and chicken, goat meat has a grassy aroma. The tenderness of the meat heavily depends upon the age of the goat. Younger the goat, tender its meat.
Goat meat, however, is not for everyone. Some people can’t stand its smell and taste when they love it. How goat meat is cooked also plays a great role in its flavor. Hence, if you try it for the first time, make sure to get it from a good restaurant.
Does Goat Meat Taste Good?
Since goat meat isn’t as popular as beef or chicken doesn’t mean it’s bad. Goat meat is as good or much more flavorful than beef and chicken. It is tender, juicy, and melts in your mouth when it’s rightly cooked.
Goat meat has a slightly earthy flavor with a light sweetness to it. Hence, if you love the meaty flavor in your dish, then you’re missing out on a great dish by not trying some goat meat.
Does Goat Meat Taste Gamey?
As we all know goat is a domestic animal, and gaminess is what we often associate with a wild animal. Hence when people say their goat meat tastes gamey may sound unrealistic.
But goat meat does have a gamey taste to it. It has dark red meat with a greasy aroma to it. The gaminess in goat meat comes from the that goats, even after being farm fed, have most of their food through grazing.
Even though they are kept in a small area, they prefer to eat the green grass rather than the normal farm food. Hence their meat will have a more intense organic taste than a farm-fed cow or buffalo.
But if you are someone who detests the gamey flavor, don’t skip the goat meat. Because only the older goat will have a strong gaminess, the young goat meat has a considerably less gamey taste and can be tried by all.
What Meat Does Goat Taste Like?
Goat meat has a unique taste of its own. It is slightly sweet with a dense flavor. However, regardless of being distinct, it shares some commonalities with other meats.
Goat meat is often compared to sheep’s meat and lamb meat. Most people mistook all of these as one. However, that’s not true at all. All of these are very different and have a distinct flavor.
Lamb Vs. Goat: Which Tastes Better?
For the longest period, I thought lamb and goat were the same. But sooner, I realized I understood how they’re too different from each other. The same applies to their meat as well.
Lamb meat and goat meat are two different things. Lamb meat is called mutton. (However, people, especially in Asian countries, refer to goat and lamb meat as mutton).
Lamb meat, as well as goat meat, are highly flavorful and delicious. Both taste good and are loved by people all across the world. However, lamb meat has a more gamey flavor when compared to that of goat.
Lamb meat has a very bold flavor to it. It tastes much like meat with a strong odor. These smells come from the fat present in the lamb meat. On the other hand, goat meat has a milder and more sweet taste when compared to lamb.
Hence goat meat will be something that all can eat. Moreover, goat meat has more nutritional content and less fat in it. If you are a lover of gaminess, then you can go for both, and if you have a gamey taste, leave lamb meat!
Does Goat Meat Taste Like Deer?
Both goats and deer are grass-eating cute, looking animals. But does that mean they also taste alike? Deer meat, popularly known as venison meat, has a similar flavor to that of goat meat.
Both deer, as well as goat meat, have an earthy and gamey flavor to them. But deer meat is lean compared to goat and has less fat content. Deer meat is healthier than that goat meat.
Deer meat has a less gamey flavor and is more nutritionally dense than goat meat. When made into a curry, both of them taste alike. However, goat meat is much tastier than deer meat.
Does Goat Meat Taste Like Beef?
Goat meat is often compared to beef. Like beef, goat meat also comes under red meat and can be cooked similarly. However, goat meat, compared to beef, has a gamey flavor.
Beef has a less meaty taste and is generally softer in texture. However, goat meat’s texture and gaminess greatly depend on its age. The young goat has soft meat with a light gamey flavor that resembles beef.
Does Goat Meat Taste Like Pork?
No, pork has a very different flavor profile when compared to that of goat. Pork has an ironic taste to it. It is comparatively less gamey when compared to that goat meat.
Pork meat has a good amount of fat in it. Hence it tends to be sweeter and softer than that goat meat. However, when it comes to nutritional content, goat meat is way more nutritional and has fewer calories when compared to pork.
What Does Curry Goat Taste Like?
Curry goat is a famous dish that belongs to Jamaica. Curry goat has been in traditional Jamaican cuisine for a long time. It is curry, made of goat meat with lots of spices, and is extremely flavorful.
It uses thyme, turmeric, chili pepper, and cumin as the main spice blend. These are cooked with tomatoes before they get added to the goat meat. The goat meat used for these curries is pan-seared at high temperatures until its juice starts oozing.
Then the meat is mixed with all the spices and some ingredients and is slow cooked until they obtain a thick gravy consistency. Caribbean goat curries taste so good and have the potential to make you a big fan of goat meat.
What Does Goat Cheese Taste Like?
Just like goat meat, goat cheese also has a very distinctive flavor. Goat cheese is actually one of the most popular cheeses among the worldwide cheese lover. Goat cheese has a soft, tart flavor to it.
Goat cheese has a tangy flavor to it with an earthy aroma. The intensity of tartness will be higher with the young goat cheese. The young cheese will also have a creamier consistency.
On the other hand, the aged goat cheese has a very mild tart flavor and a more crumble texture. Goat cheese isn’t just tasty but also healthy. It has very low-fat content and is considered one of the healthiest cheeses, along with being a tasty one.
What Does Goat Milk Taste Like?
Goat milk is sweeter than most milk and has an earthy taste. Goat milk also has a goat-like aroma to it. This is one thing that helps us to recognize goat milk from the rest of the milk, if not the taste.
However, the taste of goat milk varies from one breed to the other. Nigerian dwarf is a goat breed that is famous for its sweet and creamy milk, whereas Saanens milk is more watery and bland.
What Does Goat Butter Taste Like?
We have talked about goat meat, its milk, and cheese. But are you familiar with goat butter? Goat butter might not be a household name, but it is tasty to try out!
Goat butter is white and has a sweet taste and tangy undertone. Compared to cow’s butter, it has a low melting point; hence it is extremely creamy and performs as an excellent spread.
Are you someone who is lactose intolerant and still lobe butter? Then, goat cheese is for you. Goat cheese has a very low amount of casein and won’t trigger allergies in lactose intolerant people.
You can use goat butter just like any normal butter; just be cautious of its low melting point.
What Does Mountain Goat Taste Like?
The taste of meat depends on the food the animal eats and the physical activities the animals are involved in. Hence normal goat meat tastes very different from that of a mountain goat.
The mountain goat has lean meat and a stronger, gamey taste than normal farm-fed goats. It is much thicker and has a rough texture than normal goat meat.
What Do Different Cuts of Goat Meat Taste Like?
Different parts of the goat have different fat content and tenderness to it. Hence the taste of the goat is majorly dependent on the part we eat. This is one reason why people have different opinions on goat meat.
The parts of goat-like legs and loin have higher fat content in them. Hence the meat of this part tends to be more soft and juicy than the rest. Goat ribs have comparatively less fat content in them. However, they are extremely soft and easily cooked compared to other goat parts.
Things To Look For While Buying Goat Meat
I hope by talking all about goat meat and its flavor, I have inspired you enough to try it out at least once. If you are planning to taste it from a restaurant, go on, but if you are planning to cook some goat meat of your own, I have some tips for selecting the best meat.
- Look for young meat: For enjoying the goat meat in its best flavor profile, choose the goat that isn’t too old. The older meat tends to get more tough in texture and would have a strong gamey flavor.
- Buy red meat: When buying goat meat, look for red to pinkish meat rather than brown. The brown hint is a sign of aged meat.
- Fat is not too bad: When buying goat meat, I prefer a meat portion with some fat attached. The fat in the goat meat gives it its tenderness and flavor.
- Don’t go for boneless meat: Boneless chicken might be good, but when it comes to goat meat, the most flavorful meat portion is the one attached to the bones. Hence include some bone portions when buying goat meat.
- Slightly smell it: The smell of goat meat is slightly earthy and acidic. However, if it smells anything rancid, that’s a sign of deterioration.
- Poke it: The freshest meats come back when it’s poked. If it does not regain its shape, that’s again a sign not to buy it.
How To Preserve Goat Meat
Like much other meat, goat meat should be preserved in the right way to prevent deterioration. The best way to preserve goat meat, as you would expect, is to refrigerate it.
- Freeze It: Goat meat remains fresh in the refrigerator for up to three days. However, the best way to sustain it longer is to freeze it. The frozen meat would remain fresh for up to three to four months (This applies to raw and cooked meat when frozen correctly). Frozen meat has long longevity. However, after a particular time, the meat will lose its flavor, juiciness, and tenderness. Hence try to use frozen meat within three months
- Dry It: As we have already discussed, the goat has been something people used as food even before the invention of the refrigerator. Hence smoking it or drying it was a popular method to keep the meat.
Best Way To Cook Goat Meat
Goat meat is flavorful on its own. It can be cooked in a multitude of ways to bring the best taste.
- Goat Meat Steak: If you love the gamey flavor, you can slow cook goat ribs to make the perfect steak with a little or bare amount of spiciness and slat.
- Goat Meat Stew: Goat stew is another great way to prepare goat meat. Goat stew requires a minimum amount of ingredients and is the best way to enjoy the meaty taste of the meat while being it in gravy form.
- Goat Meat Roast: If you are someone who doesn’t love the meaty flavor of goat, roasting it is the best for you. Goat meat roast includes a good amount of spiciness, and you’ll only get to taste a bare minimum of gaminess in goat.
Health Benefits Of Goat Meat
We all love tasty food, don’t we? But sometimes we must stop eating tasty food because it isn’t healthy. But that’s not the case with goat meat. Along with being tasty, goat meat is one of the healthy options we have.
- Low in saturated fat: If you are conscious about the amount of fat you have along with red meat, goat meat is a great option. Goat meat has comparatively less fat content when compared to other red meats available on the market.
- High in iron content: Goat meat is a rich source of iron. Iron is an important nutrient the body needs for building immunity and maintaining blood count.
- Regulate blood pressure: Goat meat has a good amount of sodium. Sodium is essential for the body to maintain its balance and control blood pressure.
Nutritional Content Of Goat Meat
After reading about its taste and health benefits, you might think about goat meat in your daily diet. If you are, I have a little more information about its nutritional benefits. I have made it in a tabular form for you to take a gaze at it whenever needed.
|Nutritional Content||Amount (per 90 g)|
I’m so happy that you are here with me till the end of this article. Goat meat has a gamey taste to it with a hint of sweetness. It has a distinctive earthy odor to it that adds to the taste of the goat meat.
Goat meat isn’t something that everyone likes. But the only way you could find whether you like it is to eat it. If you are trying it for the first try, start with young goat meat. I hope you’ll like it.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What is goat meat called in the USA?
In the USA, goat meat is often referred to as chevon.
Which is healthier goat meat or beef?
Goat meat has higher iron content and less fat in it. Hence it is way healthier than beef.
Which is tastier; goat or lamb?
Goat has less meat and a gamey taste. Hence goat meat is tastier than lamb meat.
What is the best way to cook a goat?
The best way to cook goat meat is to cook it slowly with fewer spices and amble salt.