Welsh rarebit is a dish consisting of hot cheese sauce served over toasted bread. And today, I am going to show you how you can make it at home.
At first, the dish was named as welsh rabbit. But later, it was renamed to welsh rarebit because the recipe contains no rabbit or any kind of meat. I know this fact sounds weird but it is what is. The dish was originated in Whales where cheese is very popular.
To make welsh rarebit, melt butter in a pan and add flour, beer and cheese in it. Then add Worcestershire sauce with mustard in it and season with black pepper. Put this on the toasted bread and serve.
The cheese mixture makes this welsh rarebit different from cheese toast sandwiches. You will be given the detailed steps that further. This might be the best cheese sandwich you’ll ever have. So let’s start with its ingredients.
Ingredients For Welsh Rarebit
- 50 g Butter
- 50 g Flour
- 250 g Grated Cheddar
- 250 ml Warmed Beer
- 2 tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce
- 2 teaspoon Mustard
- 4 slices Granary Bread
- Black Pepper (for seasoning)
I hope you have got a nice overview of the ingredients. Now let’s check how much of your time will it take to be prepared.
How Much Time It Will Take To Prepare Welsh Rarebit?
|Preparation Time||Cooking Time||Total Time|
|10 minutes||20 minutes||30 minutes|
As you can see, it gets prepared in a few minutes. As the time required to make it has been calculated, let’s go through its thorough cooking procedure.
Steps To Make Welsh Rarebit
- Firstly, take some butter in a pan and melt it properly then add in the flour and mix it well and for a few minutes keep cooking it while moving it continuously and then add in the beer to make a smooth and dense sauce, after all this toss in the cheese and keep moving it until it melts properly.
- Now add in the worcestershire sauce and mustard and mix them well, after that season with black pepper.
- At last, take toasted bread and butter and add in the mixture prepared and then grill the bread properly and serve hot.
You can serve welsh rarebit with any of your favourite vegetable or salad. Do try it at your home but I recommend you to don’t share it with your kids as it has beer in it.
Nutritional Breakdown Of Welsh Rarebit
For all the health conscious people out there, I’ve mentioned the nutritional breakdown of this recipe below.
How To Make Welsh Rarebit At Home | Video
I have uploaded the video to assist you. Do watch it to know every detail of the recipe.
In case you have any queries, feel free to write them up in the comment section below. I will be happy to help you with it. If you have any suggestions, use the same section to convey them to me. I will try my best to respond to the same. Have a great day!