Warabi salad is a popular dish in Japan that is made with warabi or bracken. It is a simple dish you can make with just a few ingredients, and it is a great way to enjoy the unique flavor of warabi.
Warabi salad is a popular dish in Japan that is made with boiled bracken ferns. The ferns are then marinated in a sweet and sour sauce, and the salad is served with shredded carrots, radishes, and sesame seeds.
To make Warabi salad a healthy meal, you can add Kamaboko (pink and white fishcake) if you are not vegan, and it will go well with vegetables. Besides this, adding lemon and shiso to the dressing will give you a refreshing scent and a mild tanginess to complement the salad.
This blog post will tell you how to make warabi salad. We will also provide some important ingredients and equipment you need to know to prepare the best salad.
What Equipment Will You Need To Make Warabi Salad?
- Mixing Bowls – Prepare the dressing for the warabi salad in a mixing bowl.
- Saucepan – Cook the diced warabi in a saucepan until crispier.
- Chopping Board – Place a chopping board under the veggies before chopping the warabi, carrot, and radish.
- Knife – To make the best salad, a sharp knife will be needed to dice the warabi, carrot, and radish into bite-sized pieces.
- Spatula – Use a flat-surfaced spatula to combine all the ingredients well and to avoid lumps.
How Much Time Will You Need To Make Warabi Salad?
|Preparation Time||Cooking Time||Total Time|
|5 Minutes||10 Minutes||15 Minutes|
What Ingredients Will You Need To Make Warabi Salad?
- Warabi – Warabi is one of the key ingredients in making the salad which will give a slimy texture and nutty taste when cooked.
- Carrot – The carrot will give Warabi salad a slightly sweet flavor when added to the dressing.
- Radish – Radish will get a soft, potato-like texture when you add them to the dressing for the salad.
- Soy Sauce – Soy sauce will provide salt, sweetness, umami (savory), and a little bitter flavor which will mask the final bitter note to the salad.
- Cooking Wine – Cooking wine will help make the dressing, giving fruity and caramel notes.
- Sugar – Add sugar to a bowl of diced veggies to prepare the dressing for the salad.
- Sesame Seeds – Garnish sesame seeds for a nutty, slightly sweet taste and aroma.
Steps To Make Warabi Salad
1. Chop Them All
Wash the warabi well and put it aside to drain the water. Meanwhile, take one small carrot, reddish, and chop them into cube size.
Once the water is drained, cut the warabi into small portions in a small bowl and cook it in a saucepan with a splash of sweet cooking wine until crispier.
2. Prepare The Dressing
Take a small bowl and combine one tablespoon of sweet cooking wine, one tablespoon of soy sauce, and one teaspoon of sugar. Mix well and keep it aside.
3. The Salad Is Here
Start by mixing the prepared dressing with chopped warabi, carrot, and radish and mix well. Finally, garnish the salad with sesame seeds and serve chilled.
|Saturated Fat||1 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat||3 g|
How Will Warabi Salad Look And Taste Like?
If you love salads, you’ll want to try warabi salad! Warabi salad has delicate, sweet, nutty notes of green leaves and a slippery or slimy texture. The dressing is a simple vinaigrette made with rice vinegar, soy sauce, and sesame oil. It’s light and refreshing, making it the perfect side dish for any meal.
Warabi Salad Recipe
- 1 bunch Fresh Warabi (bracken fern)
- 1 small Carrot (diced)
- 2 tablespoons Carrots (shredded)
- 1 tablespoon Soy Sauce
- 1 tablespoon Sweet Cooking Wine
- 1 teaspoon Sugar
- Wash the warabi well and chop it into bite-sized pieces.
- Add cooking wine to a saucepan, and cook warabi for about 5 minutes.
- Now take one small carrot and radish and dice it into cube size.
- Place the warabi and diced carrots in a large bowl, add the radish, and gently toss to combine.
- To make the dressing, mix the soya sauce, sweet cooking wine, and sugar in a small bowl and set aside.
- To make the warabi salad, start by mixing the dressing with chopped warabi, carrot, and radish and mix well.
- Finally, garnish the salad with sesame seeds and serve chilled.
Warabi salad is a refreshing, light dish that is perfect for summer. It is made with warabi, a type of bracken fern, and can be served either cold or hot. The warabi is cooked in water until it is soft, then cooled and mixed with other ingredients such as radishes, cucumber, and seaweed.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
How do you clean warabi?
Put the bracken fern into a bowl, sprinkle a pinch of baking soda, and pour boiling water over them until they are immersed. Cover it with a plate so the fern won’t float to the top, and let it sit overnight to remove the astringency.
What is warabi salad dressing made of?
Whisk sweet wine, soy sauce, wasabi paste, and sesame oil together in a bowl to make the dressing.
What is Pohole salad?
Pohole salad is the perfect side dish made with vibrant green fiddlehead fern shoots and different veggies tossed in a sauce. It is most common in the rainforests on the East side of Maui.