Today I will share one such recipe that is under-appreciated but is a must-try because of its tenderness and delicious taste. I am talking about the venison heart or deer heart. A Deer Heart is one of the most under-rated dishes. The reason behind this is some people may find eating the deer heart offensive and some enjoy it as a delicacy. So choose wisely with whom you want to eat it.
For preparing this delicacy, you have to be careful while cutting and cleaning the deer’s heart. The fat, veins and some tissues are essential to be removed before cooking the heart. There are many ways in which a deer heart can be cooked. Venison Heart Stew and ceviche are other venison heart recipes. Venison Heart Ceviche is when you marinade the deer heart in some acidic juice and cook the marinated heart.
The recipe for Venison Heart that I am sharing with you is grilled venison heart. This recipe will give you a smokey taste. So let’s start with the preparation process.
Ingredients for Venison Heart
|Deer Heart||1 or 2|
|Olive oil||4 tablespoons|
|Red wine vinegar||1 tablespoon|
|Worcestershire sauce||1 tablespoon|
|Dried oregano||1 teaspoon|
|Black pepper||1 teaspoon|
|Colored bell peppers (cut in two-three pieces each)||3 or 4|
|Onion (cut in large wedges)||1|
Ingredients for this recipe are easy to find. Grab them and get started. Till then, let me tell you how much time it will take to make this delicacy.
How Much Time Will It Take?
|Preparation Time||Cooking Time||Additional Time||Total Time|
|20 minutes||15 minutes||30 minutes||65 minutes|
The preparation time for this recipe is not much. All you have to do is clean and cut the heart, marinade and grill.
Venison Heart Recipe
- Cut the heart vertically from the ventricle to its narrow tip. Again cut the heart in the same way and slice it into parts.
- Take a large bowl, add olive oil, vinegar, salt, thyme, oregano, black pepper and Worcestershire sauce in it. To this, add the meat and mix well so that it gets properly coated with the mixture. Keep it marinated for atleast 30 minutes to maximum of two days.
- Heat the grill and make it ready. Sprinkle some oil and salt on bell peppers and onions and mix them to get coated with it.
- Grill the meat and the peppers and onions for 8 minutes. Flip them all and cook again for five more minutes.
- Cook everything till they get charred. Use the thermometer to check the temperature of the meat from its center. Remove the meat at 130°F Check if the hearts are cooked properly or not. If some rawness is present, then cook them covered for another 5 minutes.
- Once cooked, sprinkle them with black pepper and salt. Serve hot.
The only crucial part of this recipe is to know how to clean and cut the heart properly. Also, let’s see the nutrients that a venison heart has.
Nutritional Breakdown of Venison Heart
How to Make Venison Heart at Home | Video
An excellent tender meat is what everyone longs for. And this recipe of venison heart is a must-try. To help you with the steps from cleaning to cutting to cooking, I have uploaded a video. Do watch it for understanding it better.
If it is dissected and cooked correctly, you will not know if it is organ meat or muscle meat. So do it precisely to get the best results. Also, share your reviews for the recipe after you make it. For any query, you can ask your questions in the comment section. Do share this recipe with your friends and family. Enjoy your meal.