Ube ice Cream, as the name suggests, is made from ube, the staple Filipino purple yam. Many people also refer to it as ‘Purple Ice Cream’ because of its unique purple color. It is delicious, smooth and requires basic ingredients to make
You will be surprised to know that this ice cream is one of the oldest ice creams believed to be invented in the early 1920s. The ube ice cream is also famous for the vivid lavender color that makes it look more beautiful and attractive.
To make ube ice cream, mix powdered ube in water and keep on heat until it becomes thick. Then, whisk together sugar, milk, heavy cream and ube extract. Add the rehydrated ube to this and churn. Freeze overnight and serve.
So, let’s start making Ube ice cream at home with fresh ingredients and no added preservatives. I will also tell you other important information you should know, like the required time and the nutritional value. But before you check out the full recipe, do have a look at these other ice cream recipes.
1. Old-Time Custard Ice Cream– This custard ice cream recipe is tried and tested. This tasty combination of pecans, cinnamon, corn syrup, vanilla extract and butter is something that you can’t refuse.
2. Ice Cream Waffle Bowl– Ice cream waffle bowl is made with crunchy and crispy waffle that is shaped like a bowl and filling with the ice cream of your choice. So, it is a perfect ice cream and waffle combination.
3. Cereal Ice Cream Bowls– Cereal ice cream bowls are a great way of eating ice cream and cereal, both. The cereal bowls are made by mixing cereal with melted marshmallows and shaping them into bowls. When ice cream is added, they make for a great dessert.
4. Strawberry Ice Cream Soda– Combination of an ice cream soda and homemade strawberry sauce is something that you can’t resist. This ice cream soda can be your favourite thing if you try it once.
Ingredients For Ube Ice Cream
- 2 tablespoons Powdered Ube
- 1 cup Water
- 1 ½ cups Whole Milk
- 3 cups Heavy Cream
- 1 cup Granulated Sugar
- 1 ½ cups Ube Extract
You can make this ice cream with five simple ingredients. But what about the time needed to make this recipe. Let’s find out!
How Much Time Will It Take To Make Ube Ice Cream?
|Preparation Time||Chilling Time||Total Time|
|15 Minutes||10 Hours||10 Hours 15 Minutes|
It doesn’t make much time to make the ice cream but a large chunk of time is used to chill it. So, let’s move ahead and look at the steps of the recipe.
Steps To Make Ube Ice Cream
- Keep your ice cream maker in the freezer overnight before starting this recipe.
- In a small saucepan, add the powdered Ube and water. Mix them well.
- Keep this saucepan on low heat and cook it until it becomes thick. Turn off the heat and allow it to cool fully.
- Now, take a mixing bowl and add granulated sugar and milk to it. Whisk it until the sugar has dissolved fully.
- Also, mix in the heavy cream and Ube extract.
- Add this mixture to the rehydrated Ube and stir until it combines completely.
- Using a mixer, churn it well for about 2 minutes or follow the manufacturer’s directions to make a creamy ice cream texture.
- Look at the consistency of the ice cream and then freeze it accordingly. More freezing time means the ice cream will be stiffer.
The ube ice cream is ready. Now you can enjoy its creamy and sweet taste after waiting for it. Serve immediately once taken out of the refrigerator to avoid its melting. Check out the table below to check the nutritional contents of the ice cream.
Nutritional Breakdown of Ube Ice Cream
Here is the nutritional breakdown of this recipe.
How to Make Ube Ice Cream at Home | Video
I’ve added a similar video of the recipe for this purple ice cream. After watching this video, it’ll be easier for you to try this ice cream at your home.
So are you ready to try this recipe? I welcome your thoughts regarding this recipe. Please reach us out by commenting your suggestions or queries in the box below. I would love to help you. Till then, happy eating!