Turkish pancakes, or gozleme, are a delicious and easy traditional Turkish meal. The savory pancakes are light and fluffy. The fillings are what make these pancakes special, and the dipping sauces add a delicious and exotic flavor.
This pancake recipe is made with simple flour, water, and salt dough. The dough is then rolled out into a thin sheet and filled with various fillings, such as spinach, feta cheese, and ground beef. Finally, the pancakes are cooked on a grill until they are golden brown and crispy.
There are many options when deciding what to stuff your pancake. You can also prepare potato filling for pancakes. Besides this, if you don’t want to make your dough, another alternative to making these is to use tortillas or pizza dough.
Turkish pancakes are a great option for a quick and easy meal, and you can serve these flatbread pancakes as a main dish or as a side. So, what are you waiting for? Give this Turkish pancake recipe a try today!
What Equipment Will You Need To Make Turkish Pancakes?
- Mixing Bowls – Combine all the ingredients in mixing bowls
- Skillet – Cook the spinach and beef, and fry the pancakes in a heavy skillet.
- Spatula – Combine all the ingredients well with a spatula.
- Knife – Slice one spinach and ground beef to make the pancake filling.
- Rolling Pin – Roll out the dough balls into flat thin rounds to make the base.
- Barbecue Tong – Use a pair of barbecue tongs to flip the pancake to cook it from both sides.
- Paper Cloth – Cover the dough for the pancake with a cloth to let it rise.
How Much Will You Need To Make Turkish Pancakes?
|Preparation Time||Cooking Time||Total Time|
|20 Minutes||10 Minutes||30 Minutes|
What Ingredients Will You Need To Make Turkish Pancakes?
- Flour – Prepare the dough by adding flour for making pancakes.
- Feta Cheese – Feta cheese adds a rich taste to the filling.
- Butter – Butter is for cooking and brushing the pancakes with they’ve cooked
- Yeast – When combined with liquid and sugar, yeast will make the dough rise.
- Spinach – Sliced spinach is also for making pancake filling.
- Ground Beef – Sliced ground beef is another great ingredient for your pancake filling.
- Warm Water – Warm water is the key to getting the right consistency of the batter.
- Olive Oil – Cook the spinach and beef, and fry the pancakes in the oil.
- Salt – It is essential to ensure we get flavor!
- Sugar – Adding sugar to the dough will help it to rise.
Steps To Make Turkish Pancakes
1. Prepare The Dough
To make the dough, put water, sugar, and yeast in a large bowl, and stir well. Leave it for 10 minutes until it forms bubbles, then add the salt and flour and mix until a soft yet sticky dough is formed.
Knead the dough until smooth for 10 minutes. Add a little bit of flour if it’s too sticky. Cover the pancake dough with a kitchen cloth and let it rise. Make sure it is in a warm place for about 1 hour or until it has doubled its size.
2. Prepare Your Filling
Slice one spinach into thin slices and ground beef into bite-sized pieces. Whisk the feta cheese in a separate bowl.
Cook the sliced spinach and ground beef in a skillet with a splash of olive oil. Stir in the minced garlic, then add chili powder, salt, and pepper.
Once cooked, toss them through whisked feta cheese. Mix these spices and garlic until well combined and keep the mixture aside and allow it to cool.
3. Cook The Pancake
Once the dough is doubled up, divide it into five equal pieces and allow it to rest for another 15 minutes. Now, on a lightly floured working surface, roll out each dough ball with a rolling pin into thin, flat rounds. Sprinkle a little flour over the surface so that the dough won’t stick.
Put three tablespoons of the prepared filling onto one half of the dough round, fold the other half over the filling, and seal the pancake.
Put a skillet over medium heat, place the pancake carefully on it, and cook until the skin blisters and turns brown in some spots. Flip using a thong and cook for a few more minutes until golden brown.
|Vitamin A||337 iu|
How Will Turkish Pancakes Look And Taste Like?
The Turkish pancake looks more like a flatbread than a pancake. The fillings make it delicious, and the grilling makes the pancake somewhat crisp. The savory pancake goes really well with beef, spinach, and feta cheese fillings.
Turkish Pancakes Recipe
- 600 g Flour
- 1 tablespoon Dry Yeast
- 200 g Butter
- 400 g Feta Cheese
- 1 bunch Spinach (minced)
- 1 clove Garlic (minced)
- 700 g Warm Water
- ¼ teaspoon Chili Powder
- ¼ teaspoon Pepper
- 1 teaspoon Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- To prepare the dough, put water, sugar, and yeast in a large bowl.
- Slowly add flour to it. Add the salt while adding the flour until it becomes consistent.
- Knead well and wrap it in a cloth and keep it aside. Once the dough is prepared, break it into small balls.
- Prepare the filling in the meantime. Add sliced spinach, beef, and garlic in a skillet and cook until brown.
- Add chili powder, salt, and pepper. Toss it in whisked feta cheese. Mix until well combined and keep it aside and allow it to cool.
- Now sprinkle flour on the counter, and roll the dough balls into thin, flat rounds.
- Put three tablespoons of the filling onto one half of the dough, fold the other half over the filling, and seal the pancake.
- Add a little oil to the skillet and cook the pancake until both sides turn brown.
- Now serve it with your side drinks.
These Turkish pancakes are savory homemade flatbreads made from scratch and filled with ground beef, spices, herbs, and feta cheese.
You won’t be able to eat just one! If you love our recipe, share your experience with us in the comments, and stay tuned for more recipes.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Are Turkish pancakes healthy?
Turkish pancakes contain the nutrients like proteins, which balance your insulin level after the meal, and vitamin A supports your eye health.
What is Gözleme dough made of?
Pancake dough is traditionally made without yeast, and it only requires flour, olive oil, salt, and water. Mix it in a stand mixer or food processor.
Can you freeze pancake dough?
Yes, you can freeze the dough overnight before using it, and you can also make the dough ahead of time and freeze it in a freezer-safe container or bag. Reheat it in the oven for 15-17 minutes before using it.