Turkey sandwiches make the perfect lunch meal, regardless of what day it may be. But, around Thanksgiving time, we all have a special soft corner for Turkey! So, this Thanksgiving day, how about trying out a simple turkey sandwich? Read this article to learn how you can make this time-efficient and lip-smacking sandwich!
Of course, when it comes to turkey sandwiches, there are a lot of variations possible. This is surely considering the fact that Turkey is an extremely versatile meat. Moreover, in case you have leftovers of roasted turkey from Thanksgiving, then this sandwich is truly the perfect way to use all of them up!
So, for this particular sandwich, we will be keeping all the fancy ingredients aside and focusing on just a few simple ingredients that make this marvel. Trust me; here you really don’t need any of the extra stuff, just a few things that I am sure you already have in your pantry!
This sandwich is also really quick to put together, so you won’t really have to worry about taking out extra time to make one of these. It can be a filling option to munch on for breakfast, lunch, or even dinner, for that matter!
So, in this article, you will find a detailed step-by-step guide on how to make a simple yet delicious turkey sandwich at home. Starting off with the equipment, followed by the ingredients, method, and also nutritional information, you’ll get it all here! So, let’s get started with the recipe!
Other Thanksgiving Recipes That You Can Try
- chef john’s roast turkey and gravy
- chef john’s make ahead turkey gravy
- Leftover Turkey Hash
- Alton Brown’s Classic Brined And Roasted Turkey
- Salt Crusted Turkey
- Apple Cider Brined Turkey
- BBQ Turkey
- Turkey Melt
- Hot Turkey Sandwich
- Turkey And Cheese Sandwich
What Equipment Will You Need To Make Turkey Sandwiches?
- Knife – You will need a large and sharp knife to carve the turkey, in case you haven’t already and are planning to use leftovers from Thanksgiving. Similarly, the knife will also be needed to slice some veggies that go in the sandwich.
- Cutting Board – To evenly slice the veggies and also turkey, a cutting board will be a really handy tool. Doesn’t matter if the cutting board is wooden or plastic.
- Spoon – You will need a spoon to make your homemade mayonnaise mix and also to spread it on the bread slices.
- Bowl – You will need a medium-sized bowl to make your homemade mayonnaise mix with a few spices.
- Toaster – A toaster will be needed to get those perfectly crispy slices of bread. Alternatively, you can also toast your bread in a skillet, if you prefer that.
- Butter Knife – This recipe actually doesn’t require any butter as the mayonnaise makes up for it, but, in case you want your sandwich to be extra indulgent with butter, you will need a butter knife or even a paring knife, to spread it on the bread.
How Much Time Will You Need To Make Turkey Sandwiches?
|Preparation Time||Cooking Time||Total Time|
|10 Minutes||5 Minutes||15 Minutes|
What Ingredients Will You Need To Make Turkey Sandwiches?
- Turkey Slices – Turkey slices are the most vital ingredient in this sandwich. You can use leftover turkey from Thanksgiving if you would like to, or even deli turkey meat will work equally well. In either case, you will need four slices of turkey, or around ¼ pounds, for a single sandwich.
- Whole Wheat Bread – Whole wheat bread makes a great option for this particular sandwich, as per my personal experience. However, you can also use brioche bread slices or sourdough bread slices, in case you prefer those. Two slices of bread will be needed for a single sandwich.
- Swiss Cheese Slices – Swiss cheese has a mild and nutty flavor, which pairs well with the overall flavor of this sandwich. You can also use mild cheddar cheese slices if you would like, with one sandwich needing two slices of either cheese.
- Mayonnaise – For an added creamy element in your sandwich, mayonnaise will be needed. You can also use ranch if you prefer that, but I would recommend mayonnaise as it does taste better in this sandwich. A tablespoon of mayonnaise will work for a single sandwich.
- Romaine Lettuce – For an added crunchy element, you will need a single leaf of romaine lettuce for this recipe for one sandwich. Try to avoid using iceberg lettuce as it lacks flavor as compared to romaine lettuce.
- Tomatoes – A single tomato cut into four slices will be enough for one turkey sandwich. If you aren’t fond of raw tomatoes, which I know many people aren’t, you can skip them.
- Cucumber – Again, to make this sandwich a little more hearty with veggies, you will need a single small cucumber cut into four slices.
- Salt And Pepper – Lastly, talking about the seasonings, you will need half a teaspoon each of salt and pepper, to make your homemade mayonnaise mixture.
Steps To Make Turkey Sandwiches
1. Preparing All The Components
The sandwich is truly so easy to make that it basically requires only two steps. The first step is to get all the components of the sandwich ready. For that, start off by slicing your tomato and cucumber into thin slices, wash the lettuce and let it dry.
Next, toast your bread, either in a toaster or a skillet, as you prefer. Just make sure that the bread gets really crispy! Lastly, take some mayonnaise in a bowl and add the salt and pepper, mix it up and keep aside. Lay out all your ingredients once your prep is done, and we’ll move on to the next step.
2. Assembling The Sandwich
The next and final step to make this sandwich is to assemble it. For that, take a slice of toasted bread and spread a good amount of the mayonnaise mix on it. You can also spread the mayonnaise mix on both slices of bread if you want your sandwich to be a little extra creamy.
Next, on the bottom slice of bread, lay out the lettuce and top it with turkey slices, tomato slices, cucumber slices and finally, the cheese. Place the second slice of bread on top, with the mayonnaise spread side on the inside. Cut the sandwich diagonally, and finally, serve!
Some Additional Ingredients That Can Be Added To This Sandwich
- Dijon Mustard – In case you want a sharper and spicy flavor in your sandwich, you can go ahead and spread some Dijon mustard on one slice of bread.
- Ranch – For an extra cheesy flavor, ranch paired with mayonnaise will work really well in this sandwich.
- Bacon – Bacon will add an umami flavor to your sandwich, which will pair well with the rest of the ingredients.
- Prosciutto – This Italian cold cut has a delicate flavor, which complements the flavor of turkey pretty well.
- Potato Chips – Okay, this may sound like a little too much, but hear me out! Adding potato chips to your sandwich will add a crunchy and salty element to your sandwich, which truly works! Don’t believe me? Try it for yourself!
|Total Fat||13 grams|
|Saturated Fats||2.3 grams|
|Trans Fats||0.1 grams|
What Will The Turkey Sandwich Look And Taste Like?
Before we cook anything, most of us usually anticipate what something is supposed to look and taste like. This is regardless of whether you are a beginner or a pro in the kitchen. This sandwich will look like a really hearty sandwich as it is packed with a number of ingredients.
Moreover, depending on whether you use any additional ingredients, the sandwich can look a little different. But, all in all, it looks like a classic deli sandwich.
Talking about the flavor of this sandwich, with the first bite, you’ll get to enjoy a lot of different flavors and textures that work exceptionally well with each other. The crunch of the toasted bread, paired with cold turkey, veggies, and cheese, and finally, the creamy mayonnaise mixture, all create a symphony of delicious flavors.
Turkey Sandwich Recipe
- 1/4 pounds Turkey Slices
- 2 slices Whole Grain Bread
- 2 slices Swiss Cheese
- 1 leaf Romaine Lettuce
- 1 no. Tomato
- 1 no. Cucumber
- 1 tablespoon Mayonnaise
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Pepper
- Slice tomatoes and cucumbers, wash the lettuce and let it dry.
- Toast bread and mix salt and pepper with mayonnaise in a bowl and keep aside.
- Spread mayonnaise on both the bread slices.
- Top one of the bread slices with lettuce, turkey, tomato, cucumber and cheese.
- Place the other slice of bread on top, with the mayonnaise side facing towards the inside.
- Cut the sandwich diagonally from the center and serve with your favorite sides.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Is it necessary to add the above-mentioned veggies to the turkey sandwich?
The veggies will surely add to the flavor and texture of the sandwich by creating a lovely balance. However, if you don’t really like them, you can skip them.
What condiments other than the ones mentioned above be used in this sandwich?
You can use Dijon mustard, honey mustard, or even chipotle mayonnaise if you want an added flavor in your sandwich.
Can any other type of cheese be used in this sandwich in place of Swiss cheese?
Yes, you can use mild cheddar cheese, Colby jack cheese, or even gouda in place of Swiss cheese.
Can this sandwich be made with plain bread instead of toasted bread?
Toasted bread will add a lot of texture because of the crunch. But, if you prefer plain bread instead, that will work too.
Can avocado be added to this sandwich?
Yes, if you like avocados a lot, you can smash one and add it to this sandwich, or even slices of avocado will work equally well.
The perfect way to use your leftover Thanksgiving turkey is to turn it into this exceptionally easy and delicious sandwich. This sandwich barely takes any time to make, is crispy and versatile enough for you to add as many ingredients as you like!