After Thanksgiving, most of us are left with a bunch of turkey that we don’t know what to do with! The easiest and tastiest solution to this problem is, indeed, to make some Turkey Avocado Sandwiches! Let’s take a look at how easily this sandwich can be prepared!
Turkey sandwiches have been a huge thing for a while, I know. However, combining lean meat with avocados is something that is so incredibly simple, yet a little too out there for many people. Of course, one of the reasons behind this is the fact that avocados are not really preferred by everyone.
However, looking at how quickly avocados are getting popular everywhere, it would be only fair to include them in the leftover sandwich party! Moreover, it isn’t really just the fact that avocados are healthy and a really popular ingredient in the market.
Avocados have an extremely smooth and fatty texture, which, when combined with lean turkey, creates a balance of flavors and a symphony that you never thought was possible! I don’t know about you, but I surely can’t wait to make one of these for myself, as it does truly sound incredible!
Moreover, it is also quite easy to whip up this sandwich, really. It will barely take you any time to prep. Plus, in any case, the turkey is already cooked, so that surely will save some more time! This sandwich also makes a perfect meal for any time of the day, so that is a huge plus too!
In this article, you will find a step-by-step guide on the equipment and ingredients needed to make this sandwich, finally followed by the method and also nutritional values. Without waiting any longer, let’s dive right in!
Other Thanksgiving Recipes That You Can Try
- Cornbread Dressing With Sausage And Fennel
- Angel Biscuits
- Smashed Baby Red Potatoes
- Slow Cooker Green Beans
- Sweet Potato Biscuits
- Pimento Cheese Sausage Balls
- Classic Candied Yams With Marshmallows
- Classic Bread Dressing
- Turkey Salad
- Golden Sweet Cornbread
What Equipment Will You Need To Make Turkey Avocado Sandwiches?
- Spoon – Starting off with the most humble yet important equipment of them all, the mighty spoon! You will need 2-3 tablespoons while making these sandwiches, mainly to make certain spreads and for spreading them on the bread. As this isn’t baking, you don’t really need to worry about being extremely precise with your ingredients.
- Knife – To carve the turkey and cut all the veggies and the avocados, you will need a large kitchen knife. You can use two separate knives, too, if you would like, with one being for the veggies and the other for meat. However, that’s completely up to you!
- Cutting Board – A cutting board will be extremely handy while making these sandwiches, as you will have to do some chopping for this recipe.
- Bowl – For this recipe, a total of three bowls will be enough. One to marinate the onions, one to keep the avocado flesh in, and the last one for greek yogurt and avocado dressing.
- Skillet – I would suggest toasting your bread in a skillet, as it will let you control the amount of fat and charring that you would want on your bread. But, in case you don’t have one, you can surely use a toaster instead.
How Much Time Will You Need To Make Turkey Avocado Sandwiches?
|Preparation Time||Cooking Time||Total Time|
|30 Minutes||5 Minutes||35 Minutes|
What Ingredients Will You Need To Make Turkey Avocado Sandwiches?
- Sliced Turkey – The first and foremost ingredient in your turkey avocado sandwich is, of course, the turkey slices! Here, if you have leftover turkey, you should definitely use that! But, in case you don’t and are still craving this mighty sandwich, then you can easily use some sliced turkey breast bought from the supermarket. In either case, you will need around 12 ounces to make four portions.
- Avocado – Avocado is the other vital ingredient in this recipe, of course. Here, to get four portions of this delicious sandwich, you will actually need only one avocado. Hass avocados are the best choice, as they have a bold flavor and also are very readily available. However, in case you get your hands on Gwen or reed avocados, they will work well, too, considering their slightly bold flavor.
- Whole Grain Bread – It isn’t a sandwich without bread, right? For this recipe, you will need around eight slices of bread. Whole grain bread is something that I personally prefer for these sandwiches, but in case you prefer something else, you can go ahead and use that!
- Romaine Lettuce – To make a hearty sandwich that is well-balanced in terms of nutrition, too, some lettuce will surely do the trick. Around eight leaves of romaine lettuce will do the trick. You can use butterhead lettuce, too, if you would like, but I would strongly recommend not using iceberg lettuce. Well, it’s just because it doesn’t have as bold a flavor.
- Red Onion – For this recipe, we will be using one-third cup of thinly sliced red onions. Trust me, once these are combined with the apple cider vinegar and added to the sandwich, they will add a crunchy element to it, along with a tart flavor.
- Tomato – You will need a single tomato, or even two, depending on the size. In either case, you will have to slice the tomato into eight slices.
- Greek Yogurt – To add a creamy element to the sandwich, we will be making a spread with avocados and greek yogurt. However, in case you prefer to use avocados as they are, you can skip the greek yogurt. For this spread, ½ cup of plain greek yogurt will do.
- Apple Cider Vinegar – To add a tart element to the flavor of the sandwich, you will need two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar. This is just to soak the red onions in.
- Salt and Pepper – We’re finally down to the seasoning! A teaspoon each of salt and pepper will be enough for this recipe.
Steps To Make Turkey Avocado Sandwich
Did you know that mise-en-place is the preparation of all ingredients in a professional kitchen right before service starts? Well, for our sandwich recipe, that is exactly what our first step is; to get all the ingredients ready! Here, start off by slicing the onions and marinating them in the apple cider vinegar and two tablespoons of water for about 15 minutes.
Next, slice the turkey, in case it isn’t carved, along with the tomatoes. Lastly, pit the avocado, remove the flesh and mix it with the greek yogurt to form a spread. It’s completely fine if the spread is chunky. Also, toast your bread in either a skillet with some butter or in a toaster. Your Mise-En-Place is done!
I just love how easy it is to whip up delicious sandwiches. This step is the second step and also the last one; that’s literally how easy it is to make this sandwich! To assemble it, start by laying two small pieces of lettuce on four slices of bread, making sure these are the bottom slices. Top the lettuce with two slices of tomato for each sandwich.
Next, top the sandwich with sliced turkey and marinated red onion. Spread the avocado and yogurt mixture over four slices of bread and top those slices onto the assembled sandwich, with the avocado layer facing down. Next, slice the sandwich diagonally over a chopping board, and that’s it!
What Can You Serve Along With Turkey Avocado Sandwiches?
- Sweet Potato Fries – Sweet potatoes usually work really well with turkey and especially for Thanksgiving-inspired recipes. So, sweet potato fries will surely compliment the sandwich really well.
- French Fries – Regular french fries also make a great option to serve alongside this sandwich. Of course, you can also serve cajun fries instead if you prefer those.
- Poutine – Poutine is one of the most popular dishes in Canada. The combination of french fries with gravy and cheese curds will give you a Thanksgiving vibe and will also make your sandwich meal extra indulgent.
- Zucchini Fries – If you’d prefer something other than potatoes, then zucchini fries are a great option worth considering. They will be much lighter as compared to regular fries.
- Pumpkin Tortilla Chips – As it is Thanksgiving, of course, pumpkin is an ingredient that can’t be missed out on! Pumpkin tortilla chips will surely pair well with turkey avocado sandwiches and are also very easily available in the market or to make yourself!
|Total Fat||12 grams|
|Saturated Fat||4 grams|
|Polyunsaturated Fat||4 grams|
|Monounsaturated Fat||5 grams|
|Trans Fat||0.003 grams|
|Vitamin A||5375 micrograms|
|Vitamin C||11 milligrams|
What Will The Turkey Avocado Sandwich Look And Taste Like?
Once all the work in the kitchen is done comes the best part, which is to devour the sandwich you just made! But, in case you aren’t too much of a pro in the kitchen, you may wonder what exactly this sandwich is supposed to look and taste like. Here, I’ve described what you should expect the turkey avocado sandwich to look and taste like.
Firstly, when we talk about how it is supposed to look, this is a hearty sandwich for sure, packed with a decent amount of turkey, veggies, and much more. Moreover, if served alongside any of the accompaniments that I mentioned above, it will almost feel like you are enjoying your sandwich at a diner or deli rather than at home!
Now, let’s talk about the flavor. Here, the flavor can differ slightly, depending on your taste and how much room you leave for tweaks in the recipe. But overall, you can expect a perfectly balanced sandwich, with the creamy avocado, salt, and pepper added to the veggies along with the umami flavor of the turkey, paired with some amount of tart flavor coming from the apple cider vinegar. All in all, a symphony of flavors!
Turkey Avocado Sandwich Recipe
- 12 ounces Turkey Slices
- 1 no. Avocado
- 8 slices Whole Grain Bread
- 8 leaves Romaine Lettuce
- 1/3 cup Red Onion (sliced)
- 8 slices Tomato
- 1/2 cup Greek Yogurt
- 2 tablespoons Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Pepper
- Finely slice the red onions and place them in a large bowl with apple cider vinegar and two tablespoons of water, keep it aside for 15 minutes.
- Pit the avocado, remove the flesh and smash it. Mix it with the Greek yogurt and keep it aside.
- Slice the tomatoes and toast your bread in either a toaster or a skillet.
- Lay out four slices of toasted bread and place the lettuce on them, topping it with the tomato, followed by the turkey and red onion slices.
- Spread the Greek yogurt and avocado mix on four slices of bread and place these slices on top of the sandwiches, with the avocado layer facing inside.
- Slice the sandwich diagonally from the center and serve with your favorite sides!
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Is there actually any cooking needed in this recipe for Turkey Avocado Sandwich?
The only cooking needed for this sandwich will be to toast the bread over a skillet.
Can store-bought turkey slices be used to make this sandwich instead of leftover turkey?
Yes, you can use store-bought turkey slices, if you would like, in place of leftover Thanksgiving turkey.
Can extra bacon be added to this recipe?
If you would like a stronger umami flavor, then sure, you can add bacon to the sandwich as well.
Is it necessary to soak the sliced onions in apple cider vinegar?
Soaking the sliced onions in apple cider vinegar will make them less pungent in flavor and a little more tart, which eventually compliments the flavor of the sandwich really well. However, if you prefer raw onions, you can go ahead and use those instead.
Can avocados be used as they are instead of making a spread with greek yogurt?
In case you aren’t too fond of greek yogurt or don’t want your sandwich to be too creamy, you can skip the greek yogurt and use avocados as they are.
This sandwich is perfectly healthy and also very easy to make. A few ingredients together make this marvelous sandwich, which is perfect to enjoy at any time of the day!