Many among us may love to cook outdoors. Backyard cooking became a hit with the use of barbecues. American food culture is highly influenced by the barbecue cooking method. To come up with another idea they invented trash can turkey. Hearing of trash can turkey might give you a visual of the garbage can but also make you confused about the thing that how can a turkey recipe include the trash can.
To clear your doubt, Trash can turkey is a recipe in which turkey is cooked with the use of new trash can by covering the turkey with the can and the covering the can with the coals to cook the turkey with the heat of the coals. Coals give the turkey a charred flavour which turns out delicious.
It is an inexpensive method. All you need is a few more helping hand and you are good to go. But here are some other amazing recipes that you should definitely try.
1. Ginger Lobster– This lobster meal will be a great dish to cook for any occasion. You can cook this restaurant style dish in your kitchen. It will make a good meal for everyone at the table.
2. Shabu Shabu– Shabu shabu is a hot pot served with thinly sliced meat and some assorted vegetables. Shabu means swish, related to the recipe it indicates the swishing sound of meat when added to the simmering broth.
3. Canned Corned Beef– The recipe which I am going to share is very easy to make and can be made in different ways. But I decided to keep it simple so that you all may find it easy to cook at your home.
4. Spaghetti Squash Burrito Bowl– Spaghetti squash burrito bowl is the best recipe if you want a fulfilling dish that is healthy as well as delicious. It has vegetables, spaghetti squash, and cheese, making it a must-try.
Ingredients for Trash Can Turkey
|Whole Turkey||1 whole/ 12 pound neck and giblets removed|
|Aluminum Foil||1 roll|
|Wooden Stake||15 inch|
|New Metal garbage can with lid||15 gallon can|
To have a big event at home is a good idea now with this recipe. So call up your friends and grab the ingredients and you are ready to roll. Let’s see how much time it will take to prepare this recipe.
How Much Time Will It Take?
|Preparation Time||Cooking Time||Total Time|
|30 Minutes||2 hours||2 hours 30 minutes|
This recipe will take a bit longer to cook as there is no use of a stove or direct flame. I assure you it will be worth your wait. So let us not delay and follow the instructions and get going.
Trash Can Turkey Recipe
- Take three long heavy-duty aluminium foil and lay them on the grass in a way that it make a 3×3 feet square. In the center of the foil, place the wooden stake.
- Fill a large pile of coals in the lid of the garbage can and light them up. Now, place the turkey on the stake with legs down. Place the garbage can upside down so that it covers the turkey. Cover the top of the can with light up coals and also cover the sides of the can with the lighted coals
- Cook for an hour or two until the coal cools down. The temperature of the turkey should be 180 degrees F (83 degrees C) from the part of the thigh.
- Serve hot with some vegetable or a sauce.
Make sure you do not lift the can while the turkey is cooking. Another thing you need to keep in mind is to brush off the coal from the can and then lift the can. There may be heat inside the can, so do not do it haphazardly. Be careful and safe.
Nutritional Breakdown of Trash Can Turkey
How to Make Trash Can Turkey at Home | Video
If you prefer step-by-step instructions of Trash can turkey recipe then watch the video I have added to make it easier for use?
Can’t wait to begin with the recipe? Try it and share your reviews in the comment section. Just in case you have any query related to the recipe, you can ask your questions in the comment section too. If you liked this recipe, do share with your family and friends. Bon Appetite!