Tin roof ice cream is made with milk, vanilla, cream as well as red-skinned peanuts. Moreover, it is covered with chocolate sauce, which enhances not only its taste but also its texture. If you can go one step ahead and use chocolate-covered peanuts. You can also fold in the chocolate sauce to make a delicious fudge ripple.
The origin of the name of this ice cream is not known. But, that doesn’t mean it will stop people from making theories. One theory about ice cream says that it was invented as a sundae, but they named it ‘tin roof ice cream’ because the place where it was first made had a tin ceiling. Wild theory!
To make tin roof ice cream, start by making the custard. In a saucepan over heat, combine milk, sugar, salt, and cream. Add the vanilla bean. Add the remaining cream and then the egg yolks to it. When the mixture becomes thick enough, refrigerate. Make the chocolate fudge and fold it in the ice cream. Chill and then serve.
This was just a quick way of writing the recipe and didn’t have all the details. Make sure you go through the complete recipe mentioned below. But before you check out the full recipe, do have a look at these other ice cream recipes.
1. Black Walnut Ice Cream– The black walnut ice cream is super tasty. This recipe has real walnuts in it that are really good for your health and of course, how can one say no to ice cream?
2. Oreo Ice Cream Sandwich– Oreos are a fan favorite and are used as an addition to so many desserts. So, why not try to keep up with the trend and try to make the Oreo ice cream sandwich at home.
3. Ice Cream Waffle Bowl– Ice cream waffle bowl is made with crunchy and crispy waffle that is shaped like a bowl and filling with the ice cream of your choice. So, it is a perfect ice cream and waffle combination.
4. Cereal Ice Cream Bowls– Cereal ice cream bowls are a great way of eating ice cream and cereal, both. The cereal bowls are made by mixing cereal with melted marshmallows and shaping them into bowls. When ice cream is added, they make for a great dessert.
Tin Roof Ice Cream Recipe
For Ice Cream
- ¾ cup Whole Milk
- ¾ cup Granulated Sugar
- 1 ½ cups Heavy Cream
- ½ Vanilla Bean
- 4 Large Egg Yolks
- ¾ cup Chopped Chocolate Covered Peanuts
- A pinch of Salt
For Fudge Ripple
- ¼ cup Granulated Sugar
- 2 ½ tbsp Corn Syrup
- ¼ cup Water
- 3 tbsp Dutch-Process Cocoa
- ¼ tsp Vanilla Extract
- Take a saucepan and add milk, sugar, salt and 1/2 cup of the cream in it, then place on heat.
- Before adding vanilla bean into hot milk, discard the seeds from it.
- Cover with lid and turn off the flame. Leave it undisturbed for vanilla to soak in the warm milk mixture for half an hour.
- Now, turn on the flame and warm the milk mixture again.
- Take a large bowl and add the remaining 1 cup of heavy cream into it (with a mesh strainer over the top).
- Take another bowl to mix egg yolks. Into this mixture, add the hot milk mixture, constantly stirring.
- Pour this mixture back into the saucepan. Use a rubber spatula for stirring.
- When you observe the mixture getting thick enough to coat the spoon's back, pour this custard into a large bowl through a strainer.
- Place in refrigerator for freezing this custard.
For Fudge Recipe
- Take a medium saucepan and combine sugar, corn syrup, water and cocoa powder in it.
- Over medium heat, stir the mixture continuously until it gets boiled.
- Let it cook for 1 minute while stirring.
- Turn off the flame and add the vanilla while stirring it.
- Let it chill in the refrigerator.
- As per the manufacturer's instructions, freeze the ice cream.
- Next, take a medium bowl and fold in the ice cream and fudge ripple. Make sure you do with extreme care so that the ripple doesn't get lost.
- Next, add the layer of chocolate-covered peanuts.
- Keep in the refrigerator for some time so that it gets hardened. Take out, scoop and serve chilled.