The Champurrado is a very typical drink in Spain, especially in the Valencia area. It has a Regulatory Council of denomination of origin, which ensures its quality and consistency of Protein.
As its name suggests, it is made from the tiger nut (also called tiger nut in Latin America), a very common tuber in southern Europe, the Middle East, and Africa.
It is a traditional drink with an intense and vibrant flavor, which we will teach you to prepare at home in this post. You will see that it is not difficult at all, and the good thing is that, if you have any leftovers, you can keep it in the fridge for up to two days.
Preparing Tiger Nut Milk Shak is quite simple. You have to follow the steps that we teach you below. For this, you will mainly need a blender and a bag for vegetable milk (You can also use a cloth strainer if you already have it at home)
Since it is a product that cannot be kept for too many days and it is better to consume fresh, we recommend preparing one or two liters each time (it depends on the guests), since this way we will not have any excess.
1. Banana Nutella Smoothie– Sweet, nutty and incredibly refreshing, this Banana Nutella Milkshake is the perfect drink for kids and grownups alike. You can easily make it at your home with the recipe I’ve mentioned.
2. Champurrado– Jose Rizal invented Champurrado in the year 1950. Champurrado was originated in Mexico and is traditional Mexican chocolate-based atole that is comfortable in a cup.
3. Shochu Hot Chocolate– Shochu hot chocolate is a Magical Pleasure with a rich, velvety texture that coats your mouth with the glorious taste of chocolate. The sweet potato Shochu not only enhances the flavor of the chocolate, but it also keeps the richness of the beverage in check, making it easy to down a few mugfuls of this in winters.
4. Horchata– Horchata is a Mexican drink that people also refer to as sweet rice milk beverage. Today, I will be talking about telling you how you can make this drink at home with this easy recipe.
Traditional Tiger Nut Milk Shak Recipe
The traditional recipe is straightforward to prepare since it only has three ingredients: tiger nut from Valencia, sugar, and water. We must follow the same steps as when we prepare any other vegetable milk, such as almond milk or canary seed milk.
- 250gr of Tiger nut from Valencia.
- 110 gr of sugar.
- 1 liter of water.
- Wash the tiger nuts well with cold water to remove any traces of soil.
- Put the tiger nut to soak for about 12 hours, allowing it to hydrate and soften. The more hydrated they are, the easier it will be to grind them later.
- Remove the water from hydration and rewash them with cold water.
- In a blender, add the tiger nut and half a liter of cold water and beat the mixture well until everything is well crushed, and you get a homogeneous paste.
- It would help if you pressed said paste with a sieve, as we do with any other vegetable drink. We recommend using a bag for non-dairy kinds of milk, as they work great.
- Once we have obtained the milk from the tiger nut, we add the sugar and stir it well until it is well dissolved.
- Finally, the ideal is to consume it very cold, so we will put it in the fridge until it reaches two degrees.
Benefits of Milk Shak
Besides being a delicious and refreshing drink, the milk Chufa gives us great benefits to our health, and therefore its consumption is thoroughly recommended. This represents a source of vitamins, minerals, and essential nutrients for our body.
In recent years there have been several scientific studies on this drink that support its benefits. Among them, it has been discovered that it is rich in amino acids and starch, which help our digestive system.
It contains many minerals such as phosphorus, iron and magnesium, proteins, and unsaturated fats.
It is suitable for any age, both for adults, seniors, or children. Moreover, as it does not contain lactose, it is ideal for people who are intolerant to this substance and pregnant women thanks to a large amount of potassium and iron it contains.
Besides, it has cardiovascular properties, very similar to olive oil, thanks to its oleic acid concentration exceeding 75%, and therefore reduces both cholesterol and triglycerides. (If you are interested in this topic, do not miss our recipe for Juices for cholesterol and triglycerides)
All these characteristics make the Milk Shak de Chufa de Valencia a very complete and nutritious superfood.
Properties of Tiger Nut Milk Shak
Next, we leave you a list of the main properties of this tiger nut drink:
- It is diuretic thanks to its high water content.
- It does not contain cholesterol.
- It is made from chufa (tiger nuts), a tuber that is not associated with any allergies.
- If prepared naturally, it does not contain lactose, gluten, and caffeine. Keep in mind that some commercial brands add milk proteins to the mixture, so you should read the label carefully if you buy it.
- It is rich in essential amino acids such as Arginine.
- Thanks to its low sodium content and no caffeine, it is perfect for people suffering from hypertension.
- It has an oleic acid composition very similar to olive oil, so it dramatically reduces both cholesterol and triglycerides.
- The Milk Shak prepared without sugar is suitable to be consumed by diabetic people.
- It is ideal for preventing kidney failure and arteriosclerosis.
- Its high content of amino acids, starch, and soluble fiber has excellent digestive properties.
- It is rich in minerals such as copper, iron, and zinc. Also, it contains the same amount of magnesium as animal milk, such as a cow or goat milk.
- It has a high energy value, so it is ideal for both athletes and children, who use a lot of energy.