Thomas Keller Mac and cheese recipe is a classic comfort food. It’s delicious, but it can be tricky to make at home. The textures of the cheese, pasta, and milk can all vary even if you’re using the same recipe. So, to give you a better hands-on homemade mac and cheese, Keller is giving you the right way to make this recipe.
The key is to keep things simple. Don’t overthink the process. Use low-fat milk, whole elbow pasta, and gruyere cheese with minimal salt and pepper. Add cloves and a hint of nutmeg for earthy flavors to spice up the mac and cheese. At last, top up the mac and cheese with gruyere cheese and breadcrumbs to get a crispy texture. Enjoy this delicious mac and cheese with a rich, creamy, and velvety texture.
Elevate the flavors of mac and cheese with a delectable sauce. While preparing the cheese sauce, let the flavors infuse. Make your sauce with milk and flour. It will give a nice thick texture to the sauce to stick easily with macaroni.
Check out this Thomas Keller mac and cheese recipe for a creamy delight. It’s a simple recipe to prepare with the best great ingredient list. Get along with the process’s recipe card, instructions, and equipment. I am sure this information is enough to help you bake this irresistible recipe! You can also check out the other best Thomas Keller recipes.
What's In The Post
Other Thomas Keller Recipes That You Can Try
- Thomas Keller Quiche
- Thomas Keller Chicken Brine
- Thomas Keller Short Ribs
- Thomas Keller Turkey Gravy
- Thomas Keller Butter Poached Lobster
- Thomas Keller Coconut Cake
- Thomas Keller Turkey
- Thomas Keller Butternut Squash Soup Recipe
- Thomas Keller Salmon
- Thomas Keller Chocolate Chip Cookie
What Equipment Will You Need To Make Thomas Keller Mac And Cheese?
- Oven – Bake mac and cheese in the oven.
- Saucepan – Simmer macaroni and make the cheese sauce in a saucepan.
- Sieve – Use a sieve to strain macaroni in the bowl.
- Spatula – Mix the sauce ingredients well with a spatula.
- Baking Dish – Bake the macaroni in the baking dish.
How Much Time Will You Need To Make Thomas Keller Mac And Cheese?
|Preparation Time||Cooking Time||Total Time|
|30 Minutes||25 Minutes||55 Minutes|
What Ingredients Will You Need To Make Thomas Keller Mac And Cheese?
- Macaroni – Add macaroni to prepare the mac and cheese dish.
- Unsalted Butter – Use unsalted butter to saute spices and veggies.
- Whole Milk – Add milk to mac and cheese to achieve creamy and sweet flavors.
- Gruyere Cheese – Gruyere cheese will add a cheesy, salty, buttery taste to the dish.
- Flour – The roux is prepared by adding flour to the mac and cheese.
- Salt – Season with salt to enhance the flavors of mac and cheese.
- Yellow Onion – Add yellow onions for a savory and slightly sweet taste.
- Cloves – Add cloves for the spice twist to the mac and cheese.
- Bread Crumbs – Stirring bread crumbs into mac and cheese will bring a flakey texture.
- Bay Leaves – Get a minty flavor in mac and cheese with bay leaves.
- Nutmeg – Add nutmeg to the mac and cheese for a sweet and woody flavor.
Steps To Make Thomas Keller Mac And Cheese
1. Cook The Macaroni
In the saucepan, pour water, and add salt. Once boiling at high temperature, add macaroni to cook for about 10 minutes. Drain them and transfer them to the bowl. Stir in two tablespoons of butter, so the macaroni stays moist.
2. Make Cheese Mixture
In the same saucepan, stir in two tablespoons of butter. Add onions and cook for 5 minutes. Add flour and cook for another 3 minutes. Now add cloves and bay leaves to the pan. Mix well.
Add milk and boil on medium heat for 5-7 minutes until thickening. The sauce is ready. Strain the sauce over the macaroni through a sieve. Stir in three-quarters of gruyere cheese, nutmeg, and season it with salt and pepper.
3. It’s Time To Bake Mac And Cheese
Heat the oven to 375 degrees. Transfer it to the baking dish. Top with remaining gruyere cheese and bread crumbs for an extra crispy texture. Bake until golden brown for about 45 minutes.
|Dietary Fiber||8 g|
How Will Thomas Keller Mac And Cheese Look And Taste Like?
The texture of the mac and cheese is smooth, thicker, and flakey from the outside. The breadcrumbs on the top add a browned color when baked. Milk adds a creamy texture to the mac and cheese. A special ingredient, gruyere cheese, adds a salty, buttery, and cheesy taste to the dish. Overall, mac and cheese is a delicious dish with all kinds of textures and flavors.
Thomas Keller Mac And Cheese Recipe
- Baking Dish
- 1 Ib Macaroni
- 12 Tablespoon Unsalted Butter
- 8 Cups Whole Milk
- 1 Ib Gruyere Cheese
- 1 Cup Flour
- Salt (to taste)
- 1 Yellow Onion
- 6 Cloves
- 1/4 Cup Bread Crumbs
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 1 Tablespoon Nutmeg
- Simmer the macaroni for about 10 minutes. When the macaroni is cooled, drain and stir in two tablespoons of butter, so the macaroni stays moist.
- Then, saute the onions in a pan greased with butter. Add flour and cook for another three minutes.
- Now add cloves and bay leaves to the pan. Mix well.
- Further, add milk and simmer until thickened.
- When the sauce is ready, add the macaroni, gruyere cheese, nutmeg, salt, and pepper.
- Pour the mixture into the baking dish and bake the mac and cheese at 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Within 45 minutes, the creamy mac and cheese will be ready.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What kind of cheese is best for mac and cheese?
Cheddar cheese, parmesan cheese, and gruyere cheese are some of the best for making mac and cheese.
How Thomas Keller makes his mac and cheese?
Thomas Keller makes his mac and cheese with macaroni pasta, gruyere cheese, and milk. The mixture of spices and cheese with breadcrumbs on the top makes it taste amazing.
What is mac and cheese sauce made of?
Mac and cheese sauce comprises macaroni, cheese, salt, pepper, cloves, nutmeg, bay leaves, and breadcrumbs.
Why do you add flour to mac and cheese?
Add flour to mac and cheese for the thick texture.
How can I make mac and cheese taste better?
Add milk and gruyere cheese for the creamy and flavorsome texture to make it taste amazing.
Get your cheese game on by making this Thomas Keller mac and cheese recipe. It’s a true delight.