So, bakers! Are you looking for a quick sweet fix? We are here to give you precisely that. Today we are trying Thomas Keller coconut cake recipe. It’s the most popular cake around the world and is known for its fluffy and soft texture. Keller adds various elements to enhance the flavor of coconut cake. Keep reading to reveal the same!
To prepare this simply exquisite coconut cake, bring all the rich elements together. Make a batter with cake flour, salt, baking powder, egg whites, mayonnaise, buttermilk, coconut, coconut milk, and vanilla extract. Bake your coconut cake and at last, do the meringue frosting on the top. The meringue adds a creamy texture to the cake.
Add a roasted desiccated coconut for amazing flavors to make an extravagant coconut cake. This will make your cake taste more intense. Also, add a pinch of salt to your cake batter to bring the perfect balance to a dessert. You will relish each bite of Thomas Keller coconut cake.
I love Keller’s version of this coconut cake. He adds perfect elements to bring out the best flavors of cakes. Despite the hundreds of recipes I came across on the internet, this one suits my way. Read the whole recipe to learn about the equipment and get complete information about the flavor and texture of the coconut. Head on to the next! You can also check out the other best Thomas Keller recipes.
Other Thomas Keller Recipes That You Can Try
- Thomas Keller Roast Chicken
- Thomas Keller Pasta Dough
- Thomas Keller Ratatouille
- Thomas Keller Fried Chicken
- Thomas Keller Chocolate Chip Cookie
- Thomas Keller Salmon
- Thomas Keller Turkey
- Thomas Keller Short Ribs
- Thomas Keller Turkey Gravy
- Thomas Keller Butternut Squash Soup
What Equipment Will You Need To Make Thomas Keller Coconut Cake?
- Oven – Bake the coconut cake to fluffy perfection in the oven.
- Cake Pan – Transfer the batter to a cake pan before you bake it in the oven.
- Bowl – Mix the baking ingredients in the bowl.
- Stand Mixer – Whisk cake batter using a stand mixer for a consistent batter.
- Spatula – Fold in the batter well with the help of a spatula.
- Hand Mixer – Whip egg whites using a hand mixer for well-beaten egg whites.
- Saucepan – Make a sugar syrup in the saucepan.
How Much Time Will You Need To Make Thomas Keller Coconut Cake?
|Preparation Time||Resting Time||Cooking Time||Total Time|
|35 Minutes||20 Minutes||25 Minutes||1 Hour 30 Minutes|
What Ingredients Will You Need To Make Thomas Keller Coconut Cake?
- Flour – The flour adds the basic structure to the cake.
- Desiccated Coconut – Desiccated coconut adds a pleasant and coconutty taste.
- Buttermilk – Add a tangy flavor and a soft texture to the cake with buttermilk.
- Mayonnaise – Mayonnaise adds a creamy texture to the cake.
- Coconut Milk – Get a sweet and nutty coconut flavor to the cake.
- Vanilla Extract – Bring signature vanilla flavor with vanilla extract.
- Coconut Extract – Add a tropical flavor with a few drops of coconut extract.
- Egg Whites – Use egg whites to make the cake frosting.
- Egg Yolks – Enrich the cake batter by adding egg yolks to it.
- Baking Powder – Make your cake texture fluffy with a little baking powder.
- Salt – Add salt to enhance the overall taste of the cake.
- Sugar – Use sugar to add sweetness to the cake.
Steps To Make Thomas Keller Coconut Cake
1. Make The Cake And Bake It Too
Whisk flour, desiccated coconut, baking powder, and salt in a bowl. Then, add the egg yolks and sugar to the bowl of a stand mixer. Mix them until the mixture becomes fluffy. Add mayonnaise, coconut milk, buttermilk, coconut, and vanilla extract to the stand mixer bowl. Give them a good mix until combined well.
One by one, start adding dry ingredients to the stand mixer bowl. Once the batter is thoroughly mixed, transfer it to the bowl. Add egg whites to the stand mixer bowl and whip until soft peaks form. Fold these fluffy whites into the cake batter. Transfer the batter to cake pans and bake for 25 minutes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Once baked properly, take the pans out and allow the cake to cool.
2. Make The Meringue
Now, to make the meringue, beat egg whites in a bowl with a hand mixer for seven minutes. Bring sugar and water to a boil in a saucepan to prepare the sugar syrup for five minutes. Drizzle sugar syrup into egg whites and mix well. Beat at higher speed until soft peaks form for about three minutes. Meringue is ready.
Split the cake in half. Place one layer on the cake stand. Spread three cups of meringue. Sprinkle shredded coconut on top of the meringue. Repeat the same step with the second layer. Cover the top and sides of the cake with meringue. Chill the cake in the refrigerator for thirty minutes and serve.
|Total Carbohydrates||710 g|
How Will Thomas Keller Coconut Cake Look And Taste Like?
Coconut cake has a delicate and light texture. It’s supremely moist and features a soft, fluffy crumb. With intense coconut flavor, this recipe will exceed your expectations in terms of taste. You can guarantee a decadent taste because it’s made with shredded coconut, vanilla, egg whites, mayonnaise, and coconut milk. The rich, creamy, sweet coconut flavor cake will surely make you reach for another slice!
Thomas Keller Coconut Cake Recipe
- 1 Cup Desiccated Coconut
- 1.5 Cup Buttermilk
- 1.4 Cup Mayonnaise
- 3/4 Cup Coconut Milk
- 2 Teaspoon Coconut Extract
- Egg Whites
- 3 Egg Yolks (Seprated)
- 1 Teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 1.5 Cup Sugar
- Mix the flour, baking powder, and salt in a bowl. Place egg yolks and sugar in a stand mixer bowl and mix well.
- Then add coconut milk, mayonnaise, coconut, buttermilk, and vanilla extract. Add dry ingredients to the batter and mix well.
- Beat the egg whites and sugar with a hand mixer in a bowl. The meringue is ready.
- Now, layer the cakes and fill the meringue in between the layers. Cover the top and sides of the cake with meringue. Chill the cake in the refrigerator for 30 minutes. The coconut cake is ready.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Should coconut cake be refrigerated?
Yes, you can refrigerate coconut cake if it has proper icing of butter, and whipped cream.
What flavors go well with coconut cake?
Coconut cake goes well with rum-flavored buttercream, chocolate whipped cream, and also white chocolate frosting.
Can I use coconut milk instead of milk in coconut cake?
Yes! Coconut milk can be substituted for milk.
What Flavors does coconut have?
Coconut has fruity, milky, and sweet flavors.
How to get the best taste of coconut cake?
For a better coconut cake taste, toast the desiccated coconut before adding to the meringue.
Let me know in the comments if you like our coconut cake recipe, and plan to make them soon! We will love to hear from you. See you another time!