A soup is only the perfect appetizer. One of the best soups is the Texas black bean soup. This Mexican soup is thick and rich with beans, onions, corn, and tomatoes. Today I will be sharing the recipe of this soup.
You can choose the desired consistency of the soup as per your preference. To thicken the soup, you have to blend the small number of beans to puree and stir them back in the soup. But keep in mind that the soup will become thick itself when resting.
To make Texas black bean soup, add black beans, stewed tomatoes, chicken broth, corn, green chilies, and green onions to a slow cooker. Also, add garlic, cumin, chili powder, and salt to it and cook everything in it for about 4 hours. Then, serve it hot.
This recipe is quite easy, but it is a time-consuming one. You will see the details of the equipment, ingredients, and quantity in the recipe below. So, please take note of them and get started with the cooking part.
What Equipment Will You Need To Make Texas Black Bean Soup?
- Slow Cooker – The main equipment needed for this recipe, that basically does all the work too, is a 3 quart slow cooker.
- Measuring Spoons – Although this is not mandatory, measuring spoons can be a handy tool if you want precise measurements of spice. You can also use regular teaspoons and tablespoons from your kitchen if you don’t have measuring spoons handy.
- Knife – To get all the ingredients chopped up, a large knife will be needed.
- Cutting Board – A light-weight cutting board will do for this recipe, as you will mostly just be chopping veggies.
How Much Time Will It Take To Make Texas Black Bean Soup?
|Preparation Time||Cooking time||Total time|
|5 Minutes||4 Hours||4 hours 5 minutes|
What Ingredients Will You Need To Make Texas Black Bean Soup?
- Black Beans – 2 cans of Black Beans, 15 ounces each make up the heart and soul of this recipe. Make sure the beans are rinsed and drained.
- Mexican Stewed Tomatoes – For this recipe, a can of Mexican Stewed Tomatoes, about 14 ounces, will be needed.
- Diced Tomatoes With Mild Greens – This will add a lot to the flavor of the soup, and 1 can, which is about 14 ounces will work perfectly fine.
- Chicken Broth – A single can of chicken broth, which is about 14 ounces in weight, will form the body of this soup.
- Mexican Corn – For this recipe, you will need 11 ounces of drained Mexican Corn.
- Green Chilies – About 8 ounces, or 2 cans of green chilies will add just the right amount of spice to this recipe.
- Green Onions – For this recipe, we will be using about 4 whole Green Onions.
- Chili Powder – 2 to 3 tablespoons of chili powder will add just the right amount of spice.
- Ground Cumin – A single teaspoon will give more than enough flavor to this recipe.
- Garlic – Lastly, you will need 1/2 teaspoon of minced garlic for flavor.
Steps To Make Texas Black Bean Soup
Chop up the Mexican Stewed tomatoes and green chilies and keep them aside. Mince the garlic, and slice the green onions thinly. Your Pre-preps are done!
2. Prepare The Soup
Take a 3 qt. slow-cooker. Add the beans, corn, chilies, green onions and tomatoes to it. Also, add broth, chili powder, cumin, and garlic to it. Close the lid of the cooker and cook the soup at high setting for 4-6 hours.After that, check the consistency of the soup. If the soup is at desired consistency, serve it hot.
Also, there are other recipes that you can have as starters, let’s check them out.
1. Pan Con Tamate– It is a Spanish dish that involves no cooking at all, except making the bread crispy. It is quite a simple recipe that will be loved at parties or as a side dish with a salad.
2. Cock-a-Leekie Soup– Cock-a-Leekie soup is a very tasty and light soup made up of chicken, bacon, vegetables, herbs, and bread. You can imagine that it’s high in nutritional contents and is very healthy, in addition to being hearty and delicious.
3. Matzo Ball Soup– Matzo ball soup is a delicious soup filled with the goodness of vegetables. It is different from the regular chicken soup because of the Matzo balls in it. It is also easy to make and has a unique flavor.
4. Chicken Noodle Soup– Chicken noodle soup is the comfort food for a lot of people, including me. You can eat it for its nutrition or for its taste. It is light, delicious, and easy to make.
How Will The Texas Black Bean Soup Look And Taste?
This soup has a really hearty flavor, and texture too. The beans make the soup extremely filling, and basically make it a whole meal. The beans paired with the rest of the ingredients, like corn, tomatoes, and chilies, all add up to the overall flavor of the s
Texas Black Bean Soup Recipe
- Slow Cooker
- Measuring Spoons
- Cutting Board
- 30 oz Black Beans
- 14 oz Mexican Stewed Tomatoes
- 14 oz Diced Tomatoes With Mild Greens
- 14 oz Chicken Broth
- 11 oz Mexican Corn
- 8 oz Green Chilies
- 4 nos. Green Onions
- 3 tablespoons Chili Powder
- 1 teaspoon Ground Cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon Garlic (minced)
- Chop the Mexican stewed tomatoes and green chilies and keep them aside.
- Mince garlic, slice green onions thinly, and keep aside.
- Add all of the ingredients to a 3 qt. slow cooker.
- Close the lid of the cooker and let the soup cook for 4 hours at high setting, then check.
- After 4 hours, check the consistency of the soup. If it is not done, then let it cook for a little longer.
- Serve hot!
How To Make Texas Black Bean Soup At Home | Video
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Can this soup be made with any other type of beans?
Yes, you can easily replace the black beans with any other beans of your choice.
Can other spices be added to this recipe?
Yes, you can add other spices to this recipe if you would like.
What if the soup does not cook within 4 hours?
If the soup does not cook fully in 4 hours, then you can cook it easily for up to 6 hours.
Texas Black bean soup is a one bowl meal. This soup is hearty, delicious, and takes barely any steps to be ready. The best part is, you would not even need too much experience to be able to make this soup. Let me know how this recipe turned out for you!