Cooking squash can be a bit boring. But with the recipe I am sharing, and it will taste great. The recipe is for Tex-Mex summer squash casserole.
Yellow squash has a mild flavor, but in this recipe, squash’s flavor gets enhanced by flavorful chiles, jalapenos and red onions. If you do not want to spice up the dish, then you can use diced green chiles instead of jalapenos. This dish is definitely satisfying with its zesty taste.
To bake Tex-Mex summer squash casserole, prepare a mixture of squash, cheese, onions, chiles and jalapenos. Add flour and salt to it. Transfer it to a greased baking dish and bake it covered till squash becomes tender. Spread salsa and cheese on top and bake it again uncovered till golden brown. Let it rest for 10 minutes and add red and green onions on top before serving.
You will know further in the recipe how mixture and coatings are to be prepared. Before that, go through the list of ingredients you require for this recipe. Take a note of them and make the arrangements.
Ingredients For Tex-Mex Summer Squash Casserole
- 7 Medium Yellow Summer Squash, Sliced (about 10 Cups)
- 2-1/4 cups Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- 1 Medium Onion (chopped)
- 1 can (4 Ounces) Green Chiles (chopped)
- 1 can (4 Ounces) Diced Jalapeno Peppers (drained)
- 1/4 cup All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 3/4 cup Salsa
- 4 Green Onions (sliced)
- 1/4 cup Red Onion (chopped)
The ingredients you need to cook this recipe are really easy to find. You might find them all in your pantry. If not, then no need to worry you will get them all in your nearest grocery store. So make a quick run to grab them. Also check out the preparation time for this recipe.
How Much Time Will It Take To Make Tex-Mex Summer Squash Casserole?
|Preparation Time||Cooking time||Total time|
|25 Minutes||40 Minutes||1 Hour 5 Minutes|
This recipe will take almost an hour to be cooked up. By following a few simple steps you will get the dish ready. Take a look at the steps you have to follow.
Steps To Make Tex-Mex Summer Squash Casserole
- Set the oven on preheat mode at 400 degrees.
- Take a large bowl to mix squash, ¾ cup cheese, onion, chiles and jalapenos. Sprinkle flour and salt over this and toss well to combine.
- In a greased baking dish of 13×9 inches, transfer this mixture. Bake it covered till the squash becomes tender. This will take 30-40 minutes.
- Spread salsa over the top and sprinkle 1 ½ cup cheese over it. Bake it uncovered for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown. Rest it for 10 minutes and add green and red onions on top before serving.
- Serve hot.
You can even refrigerate this dish for up to two days. If you do so, then reheat it at 350 degrees F for about 40 minutes and serve.
Nutritional Breakdown of Tex-Mex Summer Squash Casserole
Check the nutritional value of this dish.
How To Make Tex-Mex Summer Squash Casserole At Home | Video
Make sure you give this a try and let me know your reviews for them. I have uploaded the video. If you have any recipe in mind, then feel free to share it with me. I will be glad to share it with you.
In case you have any doubt regarding the recipe then I have uploaded the video. Watch the video to clear your doubts. If your query is not resolved by the video, then write it up in the comment section below. I will try to solve them. Now give the recipe a try and enjoy.