The Tex-Mex summer squash casserole is an easy-to-make casserole dish with summer squash as its main ingredient. It also has onions, chilies, cheese, jalapenos, flour, and salt. This mixture is baked with salsa and cheese on top. This cheesy vegetarian casserole is perfect for summer meals.
Yellow squash has a mild flavor, but in this recipe, squash’s flavor gets enhanced by flavorful chiles, jalapenos, and red onions. If you do not want to spice up the dish, then you can use diced green chiles instead of jalapenos. This dish is definitely satisfying with its zesty taste.
To bake Tex-Mex summer squash casserole, prepare a mixture of squash, cheese, onions, chilies, and jalapenos. Add flour and salt to it. Transfer it to a greased baking dish and bake it covered till squash becomes tender. Spread salsa and cheese on top and bake it again uncovered till golden brown. Let it rest for 10 minutes and add red and green onions on top before serving.
This is only an overview of the recipe. Find the complete recipe below. There are other main course recipes on our blog as well that you should also check.
1. Vegetable Tagine– Vegetable Tagine recipe is just as easy and tasty, and it’s a perfect way to use lots of different vegetables. I’ve included my favorite combination here, but you can use any number of vegetables.
2. Baked Ziti– As a pasta lover, I always try new dishes which has pasta as the main ingredient. So I wrote the recipe for Baked Ziti.
3. Black Chickpea– This recipe is perfect for vegetarians who want to add some protein to their diet. Black chickpea serves this purpose perfectly. They contain a lot of protein and fiber and are a complete meal itself.
4. One Pot Spaghetti Alla Puttanesca– The one-pot spaghetti alla puttanesca is the recipe that tops the chart when it comes to gets-ready-in-no-time and needs-less-effort criteria. It has simple ingredients and the whole dish comes together in one pan.
Ingredients For Tex-Mex Summer Squash Casserole
- 7 medium Yellow Summer Squash (sliced)
- 2-1/4 cups Cheddar Cheese (shredded)
- 1 medium Onion (chopped)
- 1 can (4 Ounces) Green Chilies (chopped)
- 1 can (4 Ounces) Diced Jalapeno Peppers (drained)
- 1/4 cup All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 3/4 cup Salsa
- 4 Green Onions (sliced)
- 1/4 cup Red Onion (chopped)
How Much Time Will It Take To Make Tex-Mex Summer Squash Casserole?
|Preparation Time||Cooking time||Total time|
|25 Minutes||40 Minutes||1 Hour 5 Minutes|
Steps To Make Tex-Mex Summer Squash Casserole
- Set the oven on preheat mode at 400 degrees.
- Take a large bowl to mix squash, ¾ cup cheese, onion, chilies and jalapenos. Sprinkle flour and salt over this and toss well to combine.
- In a greased baking dish of 13×9 inches, transfer this mixture. Bake it covered until the squash becomes tender. This will take 30-40 minutes.
- Spread salsa over the top and sprinkle 1 ½ cup cheese over it. Bake it uncovered for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown. Rest it for 10 minutes and add green and red onions on top before serving.
- Serve hot.
Nutritional Breakdown of Tex-Mex Summer Squash Casserole