Tattie scones are very popular in Scotland. They are a great breakfast food and made of mashed potatoes and flour along with other ingredients. They are made of simple ingredients and don’t take much of your time.
For tattie scones, mash the potatoes and mix them with flour, butter, salt, baking powder, and egg and prepare a dough with it. Cut the dough in round shape and bake it for around 15 minutes.
Ensure that the mashed potatoes are not too wet; don’t add too much cream, milk, or butter. Drier mashed potatoes create a dough that will roll out more easily, especially if you include the egg.
Proper details with a video demonstration for the tattie scones are waiting ahead in the article. Follow the procedures accurately to get the recipe appropriately cooked.
Also, there are a variety of breakfast recipes that you can try as well. Do check them as well.
1. Crumpets– Crumpets are a great way to change up and try something new for your breakfast. It can be an alternative to your bread. It is soft and spongy. It’ll be a great way to start your day.
2. Pot Congee– Pot congee promotes good health and also helps in better digestion. According to the doctors, pot congee is a very simple and digestive food and it also supplements blood into the body.
3. Peanut Butter Banana Oatmeal– It is said that breakfast is one of the most important meals of the meal. One such healthy breakfast recipe is the peanut butter banana oatmeal.
4. Pork Casserole– Pork casserole is something that anyone can make at their home using leftover pork. This recipe is very easy to prepare and anyone can make it in just 30 minutes.
What Equipment Will You Need To Make Tattie Scones?
- Oven – Bake the scones for 20 minutes in the oven until golden brown and risen.
- Baking Tray – Bake the wedges on a baking tray until brown.
- Pot – Boil the potatoes in a pot until tender.
- Bowl – Place the mashed potatoes and all other ingredients to form a sticky dough in a bowl.
- Knife – Cut dough into saucer-sized rounds then score a cross into the dough to mark 4 equal wedges using a knife.
- Peeler – Peel the potatoes before boiling for the recipe.
- Potato Masher – Mash the potatoes with the potato masher for the recipe.
- Baking Sheet – Grease a baking sheet with butter.
- Rolling Pin – Roll out the dough on a floured surface to approximately 1/2-inch thickness using a rolling pin.
How Much Time Will You Need To Make Tattie Scones?
|Preparation Time||Cooking Time||Total Time|
|20 Minutes||20 Minutes||40 Minutes|
What Ingredients Will You Need To Make Tattie Scones?
- Egg – Adding the egg helps to glue the potatoes together, resulting in a lighter scones.
- Butter – Add in the butter, ideally softened to room temperature, and mash well to remove any lumps.
- Waxy Potatoes – The waxy potatoes will create either a waxy or a lumpy mash.
- Flour – Plain flour is preferred over self-raising as you don’t actually want the potato scones to rise at all, they should stay flat and thin.
- Salt – Salt controls yeast growth and has a strengthening effect on the gluten in the dough. It will help cut the oily mouthfeel of buttery doughs and encourages browning.
- Baking Powder – A final crucial ingredient in tattie scones is baking powder. It will react and form carbon dioxide, a gas. This puffs up your scone – it’s why it increases in height in the oven!
Steps To Make Tattie Scones
1. Mix Them All
Preheat the oven to 400 F. Peel the potatoes and cut in large chunks to allow for a nice and even cook.
Boil potatoes in a pot filled with water till tender. Once boiled, drain excess water off from the pot.
Now, transfer the boiled potatoes to a bowl and mash them until creamy. Toss in melted butter, flour, salt, and baking powder to form up a dough. Stir in eggs and roll the dough.
2. Shape The Dough
Now, dust the surface with flour and roll the dough. Then, cut the dough into saucer-sized round shapes and place it on the baking sheet.
Put the baking sheet in the oven and bake it for almost 14-15 minutes until it gets a little brown.
At last, serve it with butter.
|Vitamin C||5 mg|
How Will Tattie Scones Look And Taste Like?
Tattie scones are easy, resulting in tough and chewy. They are light and delicious, and just perfect with a cooked breakfast or even with butter and jam.
Potato scones are usually served as part of a cooked breakfast but their soft texture and relatively bland flavor makes them a fantastic accompaniment to many dishes.
Tattie Scones Recipe
- 1 Egg
- 2 tablespoon Melted Butter
- 1 pound Waxy Potatoes
- 1¼ cup Flour
- ½ tablespoon Salt
- 1 tablespoon Baking Powder
- Preheat the oven to 400 F. Peel the potatoes and cut in large chunks to allow for a nice and even cook.
- Mash the potatoes in a bowl and toss in all the ingredients to form up a dough.
- Now, dust the surface with flour with dry flour and roll the dough.
- Then, cut the dough into saucer-sized round shapes and place it on the baking sheet.
- Put the baking sheet in the oven and bake it for almost 14-15 minutes until it gets a little brown.
- At last, serve it with butter.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What are tattie scones made of?
Tattie scones are made with mashed potato (potato and butter—no milk is used—with salt to taste) and plain flour is added to make it into a dough which is then rolled out and put on a griddle to cook.
Are tattie scones the same as potato cakes?
Tattie scones are similar to potato pancakes. From an Irish and Scottish background, these scones are the perfect side with any breakfast meal and are a family favorite! Add onion, pepper, or any other spices for flavor. Serve with butter.
Can you put tattie scones in the toaster?
These are traditional potato scones, made in Scotland. A simple scone made from mashed potato, flour and butter. Once cooked they can be kept in the fridge and re-heated in a toaster or under a grill.
Why is it called a tattie scones?
Borrowed from Scots tattie scone, from tattie (“potato”) + scone (“large circular cake baked on a griddle; a slice of such a cake”).
However once you make a batch of these tattie scones fresh and from scratch, you’ll enter a whole new world of the enjoyment. No fry-up even necessary to enjoy them! That’s because home made is most definitely the best.