Tamarind and jaggery chutney is a fusion of spicy, tangy and sweet flavors. Today, let’s see how you can make this awesome chutney at your home.
Tamarind is also known as imli in India. It is served with snacks like samosa, kachori, or fritters. The tamarind has a lot of sourness in it, so jaggery is added to balance it by adding a touch of sweetness. You can also dates instead of jaggery. Now, let’s get started with the recipe.
Tamarind and jaggery chutney can be prepared by de-seeding and boiling tamarind for 10 minutes. Now, make a paste of tamarind pulp and add to a preheated pan. Then, add jaggery, red chilly powder, cumin powder, black salt and salt to it. Mix thoroughly and serve.
Don’t have tamarind paste? Here is a list of tamarind paste substitutes. Now, let’s get started with the detailed recipe. Before that, check out the other sauce recipes as well.
1. Burgundy Sauce– The best thing that you can make from burgundy wine is the burgundy sauce. Here I will share with you the recipe of you can make the authentic burgundy sauce at your home.
2. Rajas Con Queso– The main ingredient used in the dip is Poblano Chile which is a mild green chile. The word Rajas is a Spanish word meaning strips.
3. White Coconut Chutney– The recipe is mainly made by blending coconut. But I like to add green chilies, cumin seeds, mustard seeds and some other ingredients to make a better version of the chutney.
4. Tamarind Saunth Chutney– Tamarind saunth chutney is a sauce made from tamarind, ginger powder, and other spices. It goes with a lot of snacks like fritters, samosas, and or dumplings. It is a sour and spicy sauce and is really easy to make.
Tamarind and Jaggery Chutney Recipe
- ½ cup Tamarind
- ¾ cup Jaggery
- 1 tsp Red Chili Powder
- 1 tsp Cumin Powder
- 1.5 cups Water
- ¼ tsp Black Salt
- ¼ tsp Salt
- De-seed tamarind and boil it in 1.5 cups of water for 10 minutes.
- Let it cool and then mash the tamarind in the water and obtain tamarind pulp.
- Now, make the smooth paste of this tamarind pulp.
- Add this to a preheated pan.
- Add jaggery to it and bring it to boil, cook it until jaggery dissolves.
- Now, add red chilly powder, cumin powder, black salt and salt to it.
- Mix thoroughly.
- Allow it to cool and serve.
I hope you liked the recipe. Now, it’s your turn to make the recipe and tell us your experience with the recipe in the comment section below.