Swamp Cabbage, Florida’s state tree, is also known as the Hearts of Palm, as it is extracted from the center of the Cabbage PalmTree, otherwise known as the Sabal Palm. The cabbage’s outer part is bitter to taste and hence needs to be shed off with an axe or a sharp knife.
The layers are slashed until the bark’s tender part is reached, which can be broken off easily and sweet to taste. It is a unique vegetable and readily available in cans in the Florida supermarkets. It is best to consume when it is freshly harvested.
Anyone who has been around South Florida and had the opportunity of eating a well-cooked Swamp cabbage will apprise in all sincerity of how delicious it tastes. This amazing recipe is one of its kind and is considered the staple for most holiday meals and special occasions like Thanksgiving.
The greatness of the Hearts of Palm lies in its health benefits which are listed below:
- Very low in Cholesterol
- Good source of Protein, Dietary Fiber and Phosphorous
- Rich in Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Riboflavin, Niacin, Vitamin B6, Folate, Calcium, Iron, Magnesium, Potassium and Manganese
Wow, so much to gain from Florida’s state tree! Since Swamp Cabbage is a high source of nutrition, I’ll list this amazing food’s nutritional value at the end. Do refer to it to add knowledge to your kitty.
I have been cooking Swamp Cabbage Stew for a few years now and everyone around loves it. I am sure you all would like to know the recipe by now. So, let’s get started with the ingredients.
Ingredients for Swamp Cabbage
|Freshly cut swamp cabbage||2 Heads|
|Freshly ground black pepper||½ tbsp|
|Garlic Powder||1 tbsp|
|Tomato Juice||1 big cup|
|Canned Tomatoes||1 full Can|
These are the ingredients that must be easily available in any of the nearest supermarkets. Make sure to buy all the ingredients fresh. Now let’s check out how much you need to invest in making this Swamp Cabbage Stew at home.
How much time will it take?
|Preparation Time||Cooking Time||TotalTime|
|5 Minutes||20-30 Minutes||30-35 Minutes|
Invest about half an hour on this dish and you shall not regret. Now let’s move onto the final part where we will come to know about the direction to make this delightful recipe at home.
Swamp Cabbage Stew Recipe
- Firstly, fry the bacon over medium heat in a saucepan and chop roughly to ease the cooking process. Set aside on paper towels.
- In a large stockpot, cook onions along with swamp cabbage in leftover bacon fat.
- Add in the tomato juice, canned tomatoes, jalapeño, sugar, garlic powder, and thyme.
- Put in the fried bacon to the mixture and fill half the pot with water and bring to boil.
- Add salt and pepper, to taste.
- Simmer the whole mixture for about 20-25 minutes until the cabbage is soft.
- It is best served over rice with 1/4 cup bacon crumbled on top of each portion.
Your Swamp Cabbage is ready. Make sure to follow at the steps properly to make your dish as tasty as I told you in the starting.
Nutrition Breakdown of Swamp Cabbage
I’ve told you in the beginning that this Swamp Cabbage is very nutritious. So that’s why, I’ve added the nutritional breakdown of Swamp Cabbage.
|Net carbs||0.6 g|
|Vitamin A||1.2 g|
|Vitamin B6||0.1 mg|
|Vitamin C||30.8 mg|
Note- The breakdown is for a serving size of 1 cup (Chopped-56 g, Raw).
This Swamp Cabbage Stew recipe going to surprise you with amazing flavors and texture. Let us know how much you enjoyed cooking this unique vegetable at home. Do comment down below if you want us to share more of such recipes.