The recipe that I am going to share today is for the Swamp cabbage stew. Swamp cabbage is Florida’s state tree. It is also known as the Hearts of Palm, as it is extracted from the center of the Cabbage PalmTree (Sabal Palm). The cabbage’s outer part is bitter to taste and hence needs to be shed off with an ax or a sharp knife.
This amazing recipe is one of its kind and is considered the staple for most holiday meals and special occasions like Thanksgiving. It is also low in cholesterol. It is a good source of protein, dietary fiber, phosphorus, vitamins, calcium, iron, riboflavin, and other essential micronutrients.
To make Swamp cabbage stew, fry bacon in a pan and set it aside. Then, cook onions and cabbage in the leftover bacon fat. Add in the tomato juice, canned tomatoes, jalapeño, sugar, garlic powder, and thyme. Lastly, add the cooked bacon, salt, and pepper to it. Lower the heat and cook it for 25 minutes. Your Swamp cabbage stew is ready!
This is just an overview of the recipe. Find the complete recipe below. There are other main course recipes on our blog as well that you should also check.
1. Baked Stuffed Lobster– Lobster always remains attractive as seafood. But this combination of lobster with shrimp will be a super different concept for a fancy dinner.
2. Three Bean Baked Beans– The three bean baked beans are made with, as the name suggests, three different types of beans. It also has different sauces and spices that give it the perfect taste and tang.
3. Rachael Ray Meatballs– These meatballs are a great source of protein, iron, and vitamins as they are made from beef. You need some ingredients to prepare the meatballs and their sauce as well.
4. Pumpkin Turkey Chili– The recipe which I am going to share with you today is Pumpkin Turkey Chili. This recipe is very popular in various parts of the world including the United States. It is known for its blended flavors and the goodness of chicken in it.
Ingredients for Swamp Cabbage
|Bacon (roughly chopped)||3 slices|
|freshly cut Swamp Cabbage (chopped)||2 heads|
|Freshly ground Black Pepper||½ tablespoon|
|Garlic Powder||1 tablespoon|
|Tomato Juice||1 cup|
How much time will it take?
|Preparation Time||Cooking Time||Total Time|
|5 Minutes||30 Minutes||35 Minutes|
Swamp Cabbage Stew Recipe
- Firstly, fry the bacon over medium heat in a saucepan. Set aside on paper towels.
- In a large stockpot, cook onions along with swamp cabbage in the leftover bacon fat.
- Add in the tomato juice, canned tomatoes, jalapeño, sugar, garlic powder, and thyme.
- Put in the fried bacon to the mixture and fill half the pot with water and bring to boil.
- Add salt and pepper, to taste.
- Simmer the whole mixture for about 20-25 minutes until the cabbage is soft.
- Serve it over rice with bacon crumbled on top.
Nutrition Breakdown of Swamp Cabbage
|Net carbs||0.6 g|
|Vitamin A||1.2 g|
|Vitamin B6||0.1 mg|
|Vitamin C||30.8 mg|
Note- The breakdown is for a serving size of 1 cup (Chopped-56 g, Raw).