Sugared Almonds, as the name suggests, are plain almonds coated in sugar candy. Do you know who started giving them first and why?
They originated in Italy and are typical of a town called Jordan almonds. They are often used as wedding favours. “Bitter” almonds and the “Sweet” sugar symbolizing the bitterness of life and sweetness of love. The treats are often packaged in a group of five to represent happiness, health, longevity, fertility and wealth.
It’s a typical snack you can get at Christmas markets. But forget to buy these almonds from the market because I can assure you that homemade is so much better. Making caramelized almonds for Christmas so easy and the house smells so good from the cinnamon. These are the perfect little snacks for watching a Christmas movie.
You will think “okay, last piece” over and over and over again. But it’s okay because they are suitable for your health also. But here are some other amazing recipes that you should definitely try.
1. Simple Syrup– Sugar syrup is a thick and sweet liquid like honey syrup, chocolate syrup, etc. This Simple Syrup Recipe (made at home as well, contains a large amount of sugar dissolved in water.
2. Candied Walnuts– Candied walnuts can be tossed up in salads, over deserts, or just popped straight in your mouth. The health benefits of walnuts are known to all and add some sweetness to them is definitely a cherry on the cake.
3. Crumble Toppings– Crumble Topping can be used to top pie or muffins and coffee cakes. This crumble topping will never disappoint you and it will make your apple pie or pumpkin pie more delicious.
4. Peanut Butter Blossoms– Homemade peanut butter blossoms are the quintessential Christmas cookie and trademark of any holiday cookie tray. My classic recipe yields soft, peanut buttery, and easy-to-make festive cookies.
Ingredients for Sugared Almonds
|Whole Almonds||2 cups|
|White Sugar||1 cup|
|Ground Cinnamon||1 tablespoon|
As ingredients are less and you can get all of them from your nearest grocery store or supermarket.
This recipe will not take much time. So, let’s check out how much time it will take to make Christmas sweet.
How Much Time It Will Take?
|Preparation Time||Cooking Time||Total time|
|5 mins||15 mins||20 mins|
Let’s move to the last and best part of the recipe without wasting any time and start making Sugared Almonds at home with the ingredients that I have listed above.
Sugared Almonds Recipe
- Combine the white sugar, ground cinnamon and water in a saucepan over medium flame.
- Bring to a boil and add the almonds and salt, cook and stir the mixture.
- Simmer at the highest level until the liquid is half evaporated then put the temperature down to half.
- When the water is fully evaporated, sugar starts crystallizing and leaves a syrup- like coating on the almonds.
- Now raise the temperature a bit so the almonds get a shiny brew color.
- Pour the almonds onto a baking sheet and separate each piece using fork and let it cool down.
Now, who else is ready to surprise their loved ones with these Sugared Almonds from their kitchen?
Nutritional Breakdown of Sugared Almonds
Not only these Almonds are delicious; they are also high in protein and fiber and other useful nutrients. Now check the nutritional details of this recipe.
|Dietary Fiber||4.6 g|
How to Make Sugared Almonds at Home | Video
These almonds are very easy to prepare at home. Still, I’ve added a video below, as it’ll provide you more ease while you are preparing it.
I hope you’ve liked this recipe. I highly recommend you all to make these almonds at your home and share your experience in the comments below. Till then, stay tuned for more recipes like these.