Sticky rice or sweet rice is very different than other types of rice. This glutinous rice from Southeast Asia is used both as dessert and Savory dishes. Among these rice, the preferred ones are short-grain sticky rice used for desserts or sweet dishes.
Choose your rice carefully as the starch “Amylose” is only 1% in Sticky Rice. The combination of Amylose with amylopectin allows most white rice to cook up into fluffy individual grains. So, low amylose content makes the rice very sticky when cooked. Thinking of a serving platter, well traditionally, a bamboo basket is used for cooking sticky rice. Also, traditionally Sticky Rice is served in a small covered bamboo basket.
There are some basic differences when it comes to cooking this special type of rice. It requires a different way of cooking but the process is still very simple. The key to the perfect sticky rice is a long soak in water and this is the most crucial step for making the perfect fluffy sticky rice. Moving further towards making these very famous Japanese rice, we need to have these three basic ingredients.
Ingredients for Sticky Rice
|Banana Leaves||2-3 leaves|
Getting the best rice for this recipe is very important. Try to look for bags labeled long-grain sticky rice or glutinous rice. If you are unable to find it in the rice aisle, then check the ethnic food section. If you are unlucky in that case, too, then head to a nearby Asian or international grocer or you can try it online and get sticky rice without much effort.
How much time will it take?
|Preparation Time||Cooking Time||Total Time|
|5 minutes||10 minutes||10 -15 minutes|
Note: Preparation time does not include 6 hours/overnight soaking time.
Now heading to the main steps of making sticky rice and you are guaranteed success if you accurately follow these steps.
Sticky Rice Recipe
- Take a steamer and place the banana leaves on it. To prevent stickiness, apply some oil on the leaves and steamer.
- Pour the rice over the leaves and make a hole in between the rice so that the steam can go around.
- Now cover the rice with some banana leaves.
- Take another vessel and boil three and a half cups of water in it.
- Now put the steamer containing rice in the vessel and cover it with the lid.
- Cook the rice for 15 minutes.
- Remove the lid and check whether the rice has absorbed all the water content; if not, then cook for a few more minutes.
- Finally, stir it and put it in a food warmer, which is already covered with banana leaves.
- Your sticky glutinous rice are ready to eat, you can eat it directly or with curry or any seasonal vegetable.
So, now that you have got the steps and skills, you are ready to make perfect sticky rice whenever you want, right from the comfort of your own home. Savour it alongside a spicy red curry full of crunchy fresh vegetables. This can be turned into a dessert by adding fruit and sweetened coconut milk.
Nutritional Breakdown of Sticky Rice
As you know, rice is a very healthy source of carbohydrates; I highly recommend you take a look at the nutrients present in this recipe below.
How to Make Sticky Rice at Home | Video
We have added this video for your better understanding; you can take a reference from it and try this delicious dish at home to savour your taste buds!
Give your feedback about these sticky rice in the comments section below. If you have any recipe that you want us to be featured on thefoodxp, then also tell that in the comments. I’ll make sure that those recipe will be featured in our upcoming blogs. Till then, stay happy and stay healthy.