When it comes to Asian chicken recipes, the Sticky Glazed Asian Chicken dish will always leave a sticky impression.
Chicken breasts are a great source of protein, making it the go-to food of those who are monitoring their diets. It builds muscle mass and promotes healthy metabolism. Plus, it’s relatively inexpensive and versatile to cook with.
Some might consider white meat to be bland and boring, but it doesn’t have to be!
The secret to a tender and juicy chicken breast dish lies in the glaze.
Here’s how the main ingredients of the glaze play an essential role in building a lip-smacking and finger-licking flavour profile of this classic recipe:
- Hoisin sauce: Thickens and creates the sticky texture of the sauce while providing sweet and salty flavors.
- Low sodium soy sauce: Adds a well-balanced savory taste that’s not too heavy on your blood pressure.
- Chili Paste: Spices up your chicken dish, making it delectable even for the next day.
- Honey or Brown Sugar: Tempers the spiciness of the chili paste and adds richness to the whole dish.
- Chinese 5 Spice Powder: Provides a complex blend of spiced licorice flavors that’s commonly present in most of your favorite Asian dishes.
It’s one thing to read about these ingredients but it’s another to taste it when they are blended together finally! Let’s have a closer look at what and how much you’ll need to kickstart this recipe:
Ingredients for Glazed Asian Chicken
|Boneless Chicken Breasts / Thighs||1 lbs.|
For sticky Glazed Marinade
|Hoisin Sauce||⅛ cup|
|Low Sodium Soy Sauce||⅛ cup|
|Rice Vinegar||1 tbsp.|
|Chili Paste||1 tsp.|
|Fish Sauce||½ tbsp.|
|Chinese 5-Spice Powder||1 tsp.|
|Black Pepper||1 tsp.|
|Grated Ginger||½ tbsp.|
Most of these products can be found in your local grocery store. Online grocery shops like Karman Foods also carry these products and other essential Asian ingredients that you can have delivered straight to your doors.
How Much Time Does it Take?
|Preparation Time||Cooking Time||Additional Time||Total Time|
|10 minutes||1 hour||2 hours||3 hours, 10 minutes|
Most of the work you’ll be doing throughout this recipe is preparing the glaze and brush it over your chicken, which isn’t a lot. All you have to do is mix your sauce ingredients, pop your marinated chicken in the oven, glaze it from time to time until cooked, and you’ve got yourselves a restaurant-worthy dish right at your dinner tables!
This easy recipe is pretty straight-forward but be prepared to get your hands a little dirty and a little sticky!
Sticky Glazed Asian Chicken Recipe
- Combine all the sticky glaze ingredients to make your 2-in-1 glaze and marinade.
- Reserve ⅛ cup of the sauce mixture and pour the rest with the chicken in a Ziplock bag.
- Shake the Ziplock until the chicken is coated with the marinade.
- Marinate the chicken in the fridge for an hour up to a full night, turning the Ziplock once or twice.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Place your marinated chicken over a lined baking sheet and roast in the oven for 20 minutes before glazing.
- Using the sauce that you have set aside, pour it into a saucepan and slowly simmer until you achieve a sticky and syrupy consistency.
- Glaze your chicken every 10 minutes until the chicken is cooked and shiny.
Serving suggestion: Garnish with sesame seeds and chopped scallions, then serve.
- Get all the air out of your Ziplock bag so the chicken can thoroughly soak in the marinade.
- For fuller flavours that seep through the meat, lightly score and massage your chicken while it’s marinating in the Ziplock bag.
- As much as possible, do not recycle your marinade when making your sticky glaze. Used marinades contain bacteria from the raw chicken, rendering it unsafe for consumption. Play it safe by setting aside a portion of the sauce mix to be used as a glaze, and another portion for the marinade.
- Watch over your glaze carefully while it simmers, so it doesn’t burn and leave a bitter taste to your chicken.
- For a quicker cooking time, you can also cook your chicken in a pan or a grill. Brown the chicken first and set aside. Whisk the glaze ingredients in a skillet until it thickens and add your chicken over the sauce, coating it completely until fully cooked.
Whether you’re preparing it for yourself, for your family, or multiplying the recipe for a feast, the sweet and spicy glaze will surely be the talk of the dinner table.
Serve it over some white rice or with a side of greens for a well-balanced meal that your body and tastebuds will thank you for. Add a little oomph to its look by garnishing it with some sesame seeds or scallions for a big finish.
Nutritional Breakdown of Glazed Asian Chicken
We recommend using skinless chicken breasts for this recipe so you can meet your protein needs quickly and deliciously without consuming too much fat. However, you can also use chicken wings or thighs, depending on your preference.
For your convenience, here’s a snapshot of what your body will gain when you use chicken breasts in this recipe:
The nutritional values stated above are based on available calculations from a third-party program. The accuracy of the amount is not guaranteed and is meant to serve as a guideline only.
How to Make Sticky Asian Glazed Chicken at Home | Video
The video of this recipe might help you in understanding the directions easily, so you can easily make it at home.
Cooking Sticky Glazed Asian Chicken is a great way to enjoy your meaty chicken breasts in the healthiest and most flavorful ways. It’s also an easy way of satisfying your Asian food cravings! Don’t forget: after finishing your meal, don’t forget to wipe the corners of your mouth and your fingers clean from the sticky sauce!
Karman Lee is an adventurous foodie who loves curating Asian food products through his online Asian Food Specialty Store called Karman Foods.