Spicy Szechuan vegetables are stir-fried vegetables that are then cooked in a mixture of spices and sauces. This delicious vegetarian dish is simple and easy. It is made with different spices but the star here is the Szechuan peppercorn.
Sichuan cuisine also called the Szechuan or Szechwan cuisine, is a part of the Chinese cuisine that originated in the Chinese province, Sichuan. This cuisine is known to be aromatic and spicy. They use garlic and spices in abundance. We will be using some Sichuan pepper to incorporate the Chinese flavors.
To make spicy Szechuan vegetables, you need red chili paste, soya sauce, sugar, garlic, cloves, salt, Szechuan peppercorn, rice wine, and some nutritious vegetables. Heat oil in a pan and cook garlic, red chilies, and onions. Add the blanched veggies, a blend of spices, and other elements. Cook until the sauce is thickened. The spicy Szechuan vegetables will be ready.
Keep reading the article to know the detailed list of equipment, ingredients, nutritional facts, and instructions to make a spicy Szechuan vegetable recipe at home. Before you check out the recipe, there are other main course recipes on our blog that you should not miss.
1. Stewed Mushrooms– I love to have stew, both vegetarian as well as non-vegetarian. When opting for a vegetarian stew, a mushroom stew is what I love the most. It is thick and delicious. It is also really easy to make.
2. Green Eggplant Curry– This recipe is quite delicious and can be made very easily at home. The ingredients used are quite healthy, which makes this dish a good reason to eat.
3. Yucatan Potato Salad– This is not your regular potato salad. Potatoes are combined with roasted peppers, olives, onion, and sweet pickles in a lime dressing. Try this when you want to be a little different.
4. Chicken-Fried Steak and Gravy– Chicken Fried Steak with Sawmill Gravy is a true Texas meal. Delicious cube steak in a crunchy, flavorful breading and delicious white gravy!
What Equipment Will You Need To Make Spicy Szechuan Vegetables?
- Saucepan – Blanch the veggies using a saucepan.
- Skillet – Stir-fry the veggies and preapre the spicy Szechuan vegteables in a skillet.
- Ladle – Keep stiring in the elements with a help of ladle.
How Much Time Will You Need To Make Spicy Szechuan Vegetables?
|Preparation Time||Cooking Time||Total Time|
|10 Minutes||20 Minutes||30 Minutes|
What Ingredients Will You Need To Make Spicy Szechuan Vegetables?
- Cornstarch – Prepare a thick gravy by adding cornstarch mixed with water.
- Soy Sauce – Soy sauce is versatile and enhances the flavors. Add a tablespoon of soy sauce to the veggies.
- Bell Peppers – Take some yellow and red bell peppers for making Szechuan vegetable.
- Mushroom – Half a cup of mushroom will go with other veggies.
- Cauliflower Florets – Florets of cauliflower means a good head of cauliflower. Add half a cup of chopped cauliflower florets.
- Onion – Some finley chopped onions will add a savory blend to the recipe.
- Peas – Take some peas to paire well with other veggies.
- Carrots – Add finely chopped carrots to the veggies.
- Tomato – For tangy flavors add copped tomatoes.
- Tofu – Adding tofu to the veggies is a great option. It adds sweet and savory flavors.
- Red Chilies – Spice up the Szechuan vegetables by adding red chilies.
- Cloves – Bring some warmth to your Szechuan vegetables with a teaspoon of pounded cloves.
- Garlic – Add strong and punget flavors with a tablespoon of minced garlic.
- Rice Wine – Rice wine is a great element used in stir fry recipes. Add a slash of rice wine to the Szechuan veggies.
- Sugar – Balnace the spicy flavor by adding a teaspoon of sugar.
- Salt – Add salt as per your taste.
- Szechuan Peppercorn – The Szechuan pepercprn are bitter wit strong spicy flavors. Add a few pounded peppercorns to the vegetables.
Steps To Make Spicy Szechuan Vegetables
Get everything ready on the table. First, blend tomatoes to make a puree. Chop all the veggies finely. Put a saucepan over heat to blanch the veggies. Blanch peas and bell peppers in a saucepan.
Take a skillet, add olive oil and begin to saute onions over medium heat. Then add garlic, Szechuan peppercorn, cloves, and red chili. Cook for just 1 minute. Add tomato puree and cook for about 3 minutes. Then, add salt, sugar, soy sauce, cornstarch, and rice wine. Let it simmer until the sauce thickens. Simultaneously, in a small bowl, mix 2 tablespoons of cornflour with 4 tablespoons of water. Soon after you see the bubbles, add tofu, the blanched veggies like carrots, bell peppers, mushroom, cauliflower, peas, and mix it well. Simmer for about 5 minutes and turn off the flame when it is cooked.
|Dietary Fiber||3 g|
How Will Spicy Szechuan Vegetables Look And Taste Like?
Sizzling spicy Szechuan vegetables are glazed with thick soy sauce gravy and enriched with nutritious veggies. This stir fry Szechuan veggies recipe is quick, easy, and delicious. The flavors are well infused and taste delectable.
Spicy Szechuan Vegetables Recipe
- 1 teaspoon Cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon Soy Sauce
- ½ cup Bell Peppers
- ½ cup Mushroom
- ½ cup Cauliflower Florets
- ½ cup Onion
- ½ cup Peas
- ½ cup Carrots
- ½ cup Tomato
- ½ cup Tofu
- 1 teaspoon Red Chilies
- 1 teaspoon Cloves
- 1 teaspoon Garlic
- 1 teaspoon Rice Wine
- 1 teaspoon Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Szechuan Peppercorn
- Saute onions, garlic, chilies, cloves, and Szechuan peppercorns.
- Then, add tomato puree, salt, sugar, soy sauce, cornstarch, and rice wine. Cook for about 4 minutes.
- Add blanched veggies to the pan and saute until they are brown and cooked.
- Mix thoroughly and add ¼ teaspoon chili powder. Also, add 1½ cups of water and bring it to a boil.
- In a small bowl, mix 2 tablespoons of cornflour with 4 tablespoons of water.
- Add this to the pan of veggies and cook until the sauce becomes thick.
- Lastly, add rice wine to it, mix it and serve hot
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What are spicy Szechuan vegetables made of?
The colorful veggies like carrots, cauliflower florets, peas, mushrooms, bell peppers, onions, tomatoes, and tofu are well cooked with thick and flavorful soy sauce gravy. The spicy Szechuan vegetables are further infused with the flavors of spices and rice wine.
How do you spice up stir-fry?
You can simply add the herbs and spices to stir-fry veggies instead of adding salty sauces. Herbs and spice blend will bring out the real heat and spics to the recipe.
What’s a good seasoning for vegetables?
Season the vegetables with butter, oregano, thyme, basil, or any other herbal seasoning of your choice.
What spices are in Szechuan seasoning?
Szechuan seasoning is prepared with Szechuan Peppercorns, Coriander, Brown Sugar, Sesame Seeds Natural Toasted, Ginger, Korean Chili Flakes, Garlic Roasted, Kosher Salt, Star Anise, Vinegar Powder, Chili, Citric Acid.
Peep into the above recipe article to refer to the details and make a homemade version of spicy Szechuan vegetables. Share your cooking experience with us in the comment section below.