Spicy Szechuan vegetables are stir-fried vegetables that are then cooked in a mixture of spices and sauces. This delicious vegetarian dish is simple and easy. It is made with different spices but the star here is the Szechuan peppercorn.
Sichuan cuisine also called the Szechuan or Szechwan cuisine, is a part of the Chinese cuisine that originated in the Chinese province, Sichuan. This cuisine is known to be aromatic and spicy. They use garlic and spices in abundance. The Sichuan pepper is a great part of the cuisine and also plays a part in the spiciness of the cuisine.
To make spicy Szechuan vegetables, mix red chili paste, soya sauce, ketchup, and sugar in a bowl. Then, heat oil in a pan and cook ginger, garlic, red chilies, peppercorn, celery, and green onion. Add the baby corn, bell peppers, broccoli, and mushrooms to it. Add the sauce mixture, water, and cornflour to it and cook until the sauce is thick. Lastly, add vinegar, mix it, and serve.
This is just an overview of the recipe. Find the complete recipe below. There are other main course recipes on our blog as well that you should also check.
1. Stewed Mushrooms– I love to have stew, both vegetarian as well as non-vegetarian. When opting for a vegetarian stew, a mushroom stew is what I love the most. It is thick and delicious. It is also really easy to make.
2. Green Eggplant Curry– This recipe is quite delicious and can be made very easily at home. The ingredients used are quite healthy, which makes this dish a good reason to eat.
3. Yucatan Potato Salad– This is not your regular potato salad. Potatoes are combined with roasted peppers, olives, onion, and sweet pickle in a lime dressing. Try this when you want to be a little different.
4. Chicken-Fried Steak and Gravy– Chicken Fried Steak with Sawmill Gravy is a true Texas meal. Delicious cube steak in a crunchy, flavorful breading and delicious white gravy!
Spicy Szechuan Vegetables Recipe
- ½ cup Red, Yellow, and Green Bell Peppers (chopped)
- ½ cup Mushroom (slices)
- 6-7 florets Broccoli (chopped)
- 5-6 Baby Corns (diagonally cut)
- 1 Green Onion (finely chopped)
- 2 teaspoons Celery Stems (chopped)
- 2 Red Chilies
- 2 tablespoons Cornflour
- 1 teaspoon Ginger (grated)
- 1 teaspoon Garlic (grated)
- ½ teaspoon Sugar
- 1 teaspoon White Vinegar
- 2 cups Water
- 2 teaspoons Red Chili Paste
- 2 teaspoons Tomato Ketchup
- 1 teaspoon Soya Sauce
- ¼ teaspoon Green Chilli Powder
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- 8-10 Szechuan Peppercorn
- In a small bowl, add red chilli paste, tomato ketchup, soya sauce and sugar.
- Mix it all and keep aside.
For the Szechuan Vegetables
- Heat oil in a pan, add grated ginger and garlic to it, and roast it.
- Now, add 2 red chillies in the pan. With it, add Szechuan peppercorn, celery stems and green onion and fry them.
- Also, add baby corns, broccoli, mushrooms and bell peppers to it. Stir them and cook for another 3 minutes on high flame.
- Now, add ½ tsp salt and the above-prepared sauce in the pan of fried veggies.
- Mix thoroughly and add ¼ teaspoon chili powder. Also, add 1½ cups of water and bring it to a boil.
- In a small bowl, mix 2 tablespoons of cornflour with 4 tablespoons of water.
- Add this to the pan of veggies and cook until the sauce becomes thick.
- Lastly, add white vinegar to it, mix it and serve hot