Like any other pasta dish, Jamie Oliver carbonara is simple yet magnificent. It is silky, rich, and the perfect comfort food. The best thing about this dish is that you can easily prepare this recipe at home. It has everything you need; pasta, cheese, bacon, and spices.
Our chef incorporated these ingredients well, and it turned out perfectly. Chewy spaghetti is perfectly folded in a creamy sauce and is surrounded with crispy bacon bits. Trust me; it’s damn delicious and worth trying.
All you need to remember is to tamper the egg mixture in hot pasta with pasta water. Make sure to stir everything well. Else, you won’t get the same flavors. Also, follow this guide thoroughly and don’t rush with the steps.
So, I think it’s time to dive into this article and enjoy the indulgence. This article has covered all the necessary information to prepare this Italian recipe. Let’s go ahead and give it a try.
What's In The Post
Is This The Exact Jamie Oliver Carbonara Recipe?
Yes, this is the exact Jamie Oliver carbonara recipe. We’ve followed the recipe step-by-step as Jamie Oliver. The result is a creamy, cheesy, indulgent carbonara decked with flavors and textures.
As you know, Jamie Oliver is known for his technique, and all his recipes are remarkable. But when it comes to carbonara, it is full of fresh and nutritious ingredients like bacon. Our chef Jasbir has incorporated all the elements into this recipe, resulting in the best dish you have ever had.
How Is Jamie Oliver Carbonara Different From Regular Carbonara?
This homemade version of Jamie Oliver carbonara differs significantly from the regular carbonara. Jamie Oliver hasn’t used any cream to make pasta dishes creamy, while the traditional carbonara where cream is generally used.
Besides this, Jamie Oliver made this recipe very simple and focused on essential ingredients. At the same time, regular carbonara includes garlic to spice things up. Also, many recipes call for a combination of cheeses, while Jamie Oliver has just used Parmesan cheese for the recipe.
Why You’ll Love This Carbonara Recipe?
This Jamie Oliver-style carbonara pasta dish is creamy, full-filling, and easy to make. You will love this carbonara pasta because of the following reasons.
- This Italian pasta dish is made without cream. Still, it is very creamy due to eggs and cheese.
- You can prepare this dish for a buck with the ingredients in your pantry. It would be a great addition to your easy dinner list.
- The ingredients used in this recipe are full of flavors and carbs. Still, this recipe is light and fresh, so it’s great for a weeknight meal or a party.
Does Jamie Oliver Use Cream In His Carbonara?
No, Jamie Oliver doesn’t use any cream in this carbonara. Instead, he has prepared creamy sauce by whisking eggs and grated parmesan cheese together. This method eliminates the need for cream, as tampering with the egg mixture is enough to make the sauce creamy.
However, if you wish, you can add cream for a more indulgent flavor. It’s not traditional, but you can certainly add it.
Equipment Required For Jamie Oliver Carbonara
- Large Pot – Boil spaghetti in a large pot containing water until tender and chewy.
- Skillet – Brown the sliced bacon for a few minutes in a skillet.
- Bowl – Prepare the creamy sauce in a small bowl by whisking together eggs and grated Parmesan cheese.
- Whisk – Beat two large eggs in a small bowl using a whisk to give this carbonara dish a smooth and silky finish.
- Grater – Grate half a cup of parmesan cheese using a grater to make this pasta dish creamy.
- Knife – Slice the bacon into bits using a sharp knife to cook it evenly.
- Chopping Board – Chop the bacon on a chopping board for fine cutting.
- Spatula – Stir in cooked pasta and egg mixture to the skillet using a spatula.
- Sieve – Drain spaghetti using a sieve before adding to the skillet.
Jamie Oliver Carbonara Ingredients
- Spaghetti – Boil spaghetti in a pot until it’s tender and chewy.
- Eggs – Whisk two eggs to add flavor and give this carbonara dish a smooth and silky finish.
- Parmesan Cheese – Adding Parmesan cheese to the recipe will make the dish creamier.
- Bacon – Brown and crisp up thinly sliced bacon until it tastes sweet, salty, and buttery.
- Water – Boil spaghetti pasta in water until tender.
- Kosher Salt – Season the dish with salt to enhance flavor.
- Freshly Ground Black Pepper – Add black pepper to a word to make it taste sharp and hot.
Jamie Oliver Carbonara Ingredients Substitutions
The ingredients our chef has used are essential. You can easily find them at stores near you. Still, if you land in a situation where any of the ingredients aren’t available, you can go for these substitutions:
- Pasta – We’ve used spaghetti to recreate this Jamie Oliver-style pasta dish. However, any pasta can go well. You can opt for penne, rigatoni, or fettuccine.
- Eggs – Eggs are traditionally used in this recipe. But experimenting with other substitutes like oil, yogurt, buttermilk, or just pasta water won’t be an issue.
- Cheese – We’ve used grated parmesan cheese to give this recipe a creamy finish. However, if you don’t have parmesan cheese, substitute it with Parmigiano-reggiano or any handy cheese.
- Bacon – Our chef has used bacon bits for this recipe as they are easy to cook. But feel free to use guanciale or pancetta and cook until nice and crispy for the best flavor.
- Seasonings – We haven’t used any other seasonings except salt and pepper. So, don’t hesitate to add herbs, spices, or condiments to your choice.
What’s The Meat Jamie Oliver Uses In His Carbonara
Jamie Oliver uses smoked streaky bacon. It is a specific cut of bacon known for its higher fat. The reason behind using this particular cut of meat is it has alternating layers of meat and fat, which contribute rich flavor and tenderness.
This specific bacon cut has been treated with a smoking process, which imparts a smoky flavor. But you can also use pancetta in this recipe. It is very similar to bacon but seasoned with herbs and spices.
Does Jamie Oliver Use Whole Eggs Or Just Egg Yolks?
Jamie Oliver has used whole eggs for this carbonara. The reason behind using egg yolks and whites together is that it will result in a creamy and rich sauce. They are the key to the perfect creamy texture of the sauce, yielding the best carbonara.
However, using only egg yolks will help bind the cheese from the bacon to the sauce, creating a smooth, creamy texture. But it will make pasta curdle. So, remember that if you use egg yolks only for this recipe, use two egg yolks per person. And if you use whole eggs, use one whole egg per person.
Jamie Oliver Carbonara Preparation And Cooking Time
|Preparation Time||Cooking Time||Total Time|
|10 Minutes||30 Minutes||40 Minutes|
Jamie Oliver Carbonara Recipe Steps
Step 1- In a large pot, boil half a cup of spaghetti in boiling water until al dente.
Step 2- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, break two eggs, add freshly grated Parmesan cheese, and whisk until no lumps are found.
Step 3- Add slices of bacon to a heated large skillet.
Step 4- Drizzle half a tablespoon of olive oil and cook for a few minutes until brown and crispy.
Step 5- Season it with salt and black pepper.
Step 6- Stir the boiled spaghetti into the skillet.
Step 7- Add the egg mixture to the skillet and pour the reserved pasta water.
Step 8- Stir everything well and serve immediately by garnishing your dish with chopped parsley.
Step 9- Your Jamie Oliver Spaghetti Carbonara is ready.
Tips To Make Jamie Oliver Carbonara Better
This recipe is fulfilling and perfect on its own. But don’t hesitate to make it better. So, if you want to enjoy this Jamie Oliver-carbonara, take a look at these tips:
- Tip 1: Best Pasta – Look for thick noodles because thin noodles won’t hold the sauce perfectly.
- Tip 2: Stirring The Mixture – Don’t stir the pasta in a boiling parmesan egg mixture. Else, it will make it curdle.
- Tip 3: Adding Cream – Cream in this carbonara recipe is not recommended. However, if you want to add cream, you can go with that too.
- Tip 4: Temperature And Time Are The Key – Don’t rush with the steps. Cook pasta till al dente and let the bacon cook until crispy.
- Tip 5: Bacon Or Pancetta – Our chef has used bacon as it will add a salty and buttery taste. At the same time, you can pancetta instead in this recipe to add less-smokey flavor.
- Tip 6: The Cheese – Don’t go for pre-shredded cheese. Use freshly grated cheese to get the same flavor and texture.
How Do You Stop Spaghetti From Scrambling?
It hurts when everything is going well, and the result is turned upside down. The same is the case with this carbonara recipe. It hurts when the meat is crispy, and the pasta is chewy, but the carbonara turns scrambled. But don’t worry! We’ve got a solution for you. What? Take a look at the pointers below:
- Properly mix the beaten egg and grated parmesan cheese mixture with a whisk until no lumps are found.
- Scoop out half a cup of pasta water and mix it in the cheese mixture. It will create a creamy mixture.
- Turn the heat off while adding the egg cheese mixture to the pasta.
- Don’t pour the egg cheese mixture directly into the pan; it will give you a scrambled carbonara. Always remember to mix it in the pasta.
Why Is Your Carbonara Not Creamy Like Jamie Oliver?
Jamie Oliver’s carbonara is very creamy. But, if you land where your carbonara might need to be more creamy, you must know why it happened. So, we’ve jotted down a list of reasons why your carbonara might not have turned out as creamy:
- One of the crucial steps is getting the right consistency and texture when tempering the eggs. If the eggs are not mixed with pasta water or are exposed to too much heat, it will make it curdle and result in a scrambled than a creamy one.
- Using too much or too little pasta water can affect the final texture of the sauce.
- If the pan is too hot when adding the egg mixture, it might form lumps, making it less creamy.
- Overcooked pasta can absorb too much liquid and result in a drier sauce.
- Properly mix the cheese and egg to get the perfect texture. The texture might not be as creamy if the cheese is not mixed well.
Should The Egg In Carbonara Be Cooked Completely?
No, it is not necessary to cook the eggs in carbonara. The only goal should be to get a creamy and luscious sauce. The partially boiled eggs will result in a unique texture and rich flavor.
Also, tampering with the partially cooked egg mixture with the hot pasta will ensure the dish won’t become scrambled. But make sure not to overcook or undercook the egg mixture, or else your carbonara will become thicker, yielding an egg-like texture.
How Will This Jamie Oliver Carbonara Look And Taste Like?
Recreating this carbonara recipe was fun yet flavorful. When our chef presented this dish, it was creamy, cheesy, and oh-so-tasty. Each pasta strand is folded in luscious sauce, making it rich and flavorful.
It is the perfect comfort food for a cold winter’s day. You’re on the right page if you’ve never tried spaghetti carbonara. This recipe is hearty and filling yet light enough that you won’t feel weighed down after eating it.
Plus, its sauce is just perfect. This Italian pasta dish is the perfect combination of creamy sauce that coats the pasta without being too runny.
Is This Jamie Oliver Carbonara Healthy?
This Jamie Oliver carbonara is undeniably delicious but is high in carbs and fat. So, it is advised to have it in a small portion. Besides this, if you want to have a clear understanding of its nutritional value, take a look at the table below:
|Total Fat||33 g|
|Vitamin A||12 iu|
|Vitamin C||2 mg|
How to Store These Jamie Oliver Carbonara?
If you are left with carbonara, store it properly to enjoy it after some time.
For this, follow these steps:
- Refrigeration: Transfer the leftover carbonara to a bowl and cover it with a plastic wrap or lid. Now, store the carbonara in the refrigerator for three to five days.
- Freezing: To freeze carbonara, scoop out the portion in a bowl, cup, or airtight container. Let it freeze for three to four months.
How To Reheat These Jamie Oliver Carbonara?
If you want to enjoy the carbonara afresh, reheat it perfectly. I have mentioned a few ways to reheat this Jamie Oliver carbonara. Some of them are;
- Place a bain-marie on a stove filled with water and a pot on its rim.
- Boil the water on a medium flame.
- Add your leftover carbonara to a bank and stir it gently.
- Stir the pasta and sauce continuously until hot.
- Add milk, stock, water, or cream if it’s still dry.
In The Microwave
- Place your carbonara in a microwave-safe bowl.
- Add a teaspoon of milk, cream, water, or stock.
- Cover the bowl and let it warm. Make sure to pierce the wrap in small holes.
- Heat the pasta in the microwave at regular intervals for twenty minutes.
In The Oven
- Spread out the leftover carbonara on a baking pan and pour two tablespoons of either stock, milk, water, or stock.
- Cover the baking pan with aluminum foil and bake it for five to ten minutes.
- Please remove the pan from the oven and sprinkle shredded cheese when it is hot enough.
What To Serve With These Jamie Oliver Carbonara?
This Jamie Oliver carbonara is very creamy, cheesy, and fulfilling. Still, it goes well with various dishes. Some of them are:
- Jamie Oliver Coleslaw – Make this dish refreshing and balance it with a simple coleslaw with a light vinaigrette. The crispness of the greens can contrast with the richness of the pasta.
- Jamie Oliver Roasted Cauliflower – Roasted cauliflower will provide a colorful and flavorful side that adds depth to the meal.
- Jamie Oliver Mushroom Risotto – Mushroom risotto will offer an earthy and aromatic side dish that pairs well with carbonara.
- Jamie Oliver Chicken Soup – Chicken soup will add a protein-rich element to the meal. It will add contrasting flavors and textures.
- Jamie Oliver Potato Salad – Combine this classic potato salad to celebrate Italian flavors. It will pair perfectly with creamy pasta.
Other Recipes To Try
So, it was all about the recipe of Jamie Oliver carbonara. It is an indulgent yet straightforward recipe that is relatively easy to make.
Other than this recipe, you can try other Jamie Oliver recipes. Some are Jamie Oliver Yorkshire pudding, Jamie Oliver fried rice, Jamie Oliver broccoli pasta, Jamie Oliver pesto chicken pasta, Jamie Oliver mushroom risotto, and Jamie Oliver potato salad.
Jamie Oliver Spaghetti Carbonara Recipe
- Large Pot
- Large Skillet
- Small Bowl
- Chopping Board
- 8 ounces Spaghetti
- 2 large Eggs
- ½ cup Parmesan Cheese (freshly grated)
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 4 slices Bacon (diced)
- ½ teaspoon Kosher Salt
- ¼ teaspoon Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- In a large pot, boil half a cup of spaghetti in boiling water until al dente.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, break two eggs, add freshly grated Parmesan cheese, and whisk until no lumps are found.
- Add slices of bacon to a heated large skillet.
- Drizzle half a tablespoon of olive oil and cook for a few minutes until brown and crispy.
- Season it with salt and black pepper.
- Stir the boiled spaghetti into the skillet.
- Add the egg mixture to the skillet and pour the reserved pasta water.
- Stir everything well and serve immediately by garnishing your dish with chopped parsley.
- Your Jamie Oliver Spaghetti Carbonara is ready.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What should I serve with spaghetti carbonara?
A simple green salad or some garlic bread would be a great side dish for this meal.
Is there anything I can substitute for the Parmesan cheese?
If you’re looking for a vegetarian option, you could use nutritional yeast instead of Parmesan cheese.
Can I make spaghetti carbonara ahead of time?
Unfortunately, this dish does not reheat well so it’s best to make it fresh when you’re ready to eat it. However, you can save some time by cooking the bacon and boiling the pasta ahead of time. Then, when you’re ready to eat, simply whisk together the eggs and cheese and add them to the pasta and bacon.
What is spaghetti carbonara?
Spaghetti carbonara is a dish made with spaghetti, bacon, eggs, and Parmesan cheese. It is a popular Italian dish that is perfect for a quick weeknight meal.
What is the golden rule of cooking a carbonara?
You really should cook all your pasta dish dishes ‘al dente’ (meaning firm to the bite) but this rule is especially important for Carbonara.
There you have it! A simple guide on how to make Jamie Oliver spaghetti carbonara. This dish is perfect for a quick and easy weeknight meal.
With just a few ingredients, you can have a delicious and satisfying meal that the whole family will love. So next time you’re looking for something quick and easy to make, give spaghetti carbonara a try!