Munching something crispy and savory is liked by most of us. The recipe I am going to share with you all is a crispy delight. It is Southern Fried Okra.
Fried Okra is a side dish that can be accompanied with anything savory. The trick to making fried okra crispy is to use fresh okra. Make sure you dry it well after washing as wet okra will not turn crispy. Drier the okra, the crisper it will be. Avoid using frozen okra as it will turn slimy.
To make Southern Fried Okra, all you have to do is coat the okra in buttermilk and cornmeal mixture prepared by mixing flour, cornmeal, salt, seasoning blend and pepper. Fry them at an adequate temperature and serve hot.
You will get to know about the temperature, ingredients, and procedure in the recipe below, starting with the ingredients you need. Look at the list of ingredients you require for this recipe. Grab them all and start with the cooking.
Ingredients For Southern Fried Okra
- 1-1/2 cups Sliced Fresh (thawed)
- 3 tablespoons Buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons All-Purpose Flour
- 2 tablespoons Cornmeal
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Garlic Herb Seasoning Blend
- 1/8 teaspoon Pepper
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- Additional Salt and Pepper (optional)
I believe you will get the ingredients from your pantry itself. If not, then you can find them all in the nearest supermarket. Grab them all and get started. Before you head on, take a look at the preparation time of this recipe.
How Much Time Will It Take To make Southern Fried Okra?
|Preparation Time||Cooking Time||Total Time|
|10 Minutes||5 Minutes||15 Minutes|
In just 15 minutes you will get this crispy recipe by your side to munch upon. Let’s see how it is to be prepared.
Steps To Make Southern Fried Okra
- Wash okra and pat dry using a paper towel. In a shallow bowl, add buttermilk. In another bowl prepare a mixture of flour, cornmeal, salt, seasoning blend and pepper.
- Dip okra in buttermilk and then roll it in the bowl with cornmeal mixture.
- Using an electric skillet or fryer, fry okra in 375 degrees heated oil. Fry few pieces of okra at a time for 1-2 minutes on each side until golden brown. Drain them on a paper towel and season with salt and pepper.
- Serve immediately.
Serve the okra immediately as it may turn soggy soon. You can serve this with ketchup.
Nutritional Breakdown of Southern Fried Okra
Check out the nutrition level of this recipe.
How To Make Southern Fried Okra At Home | Video
Make sure you give this a try and let me know your reviews for them. I have uploaded the video. If you have any recipes in mind, then feel free to share them with me. I will be glad to respond to you.
In case you have any doubt regarding the recipe then I have uploaded the video. Watch the video to clear your doubts. If your query is not resolved by the video, then write it up in the comment section below. I will try to solve them. Now give the recipe a try and enjoy your food.