The recipe I am going to share with you all is Southern-fried okra. It’s a delicious and crispy snack that you can munch on. The okra is covered with a cornmeal mixture that gives the okra’s exterior the much-loved crunch.
The trick to making fried okra crispy is using fresh okra. Make sure you dry it well after washing as wet okra will not turn crispy. Drier the okra, the crisper it will be. Avoid using frozen okra as it will turn slimy.
To make Southern fried okra, mix flour, cornmeal, salt, seasoning blend, and pepper in a bowl. Then, dip the okra in buttermilk and coat with the cornmeal mixture. Lastly, fry the okra until it becomes crispy and serve hot.
This is only a summary of the recipe. Find the complete recipe below. Also, there are other recipes that you can have as starters, let’s check them out.
Other Starter Recipes That You Can Try
- American Vegetable Chop Suey Recipe
- Mutton Shami Kabab Recipe
- Beer Battered Halibut Recipe
- Spicy Cheese Cracker Recipe
- Low Country Boil Recipe
- Cullen Skink Recipe
- She-Crab Soup Recipe
- Peameal Bacon Recipe
- Mushroom Bisque Recipe
- Minestrone Soup Recipe
Ingredients For Southern Fried Okra
- 1 1/2 cups Fresh Okra (sliced)
- 3 tablespoons Buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons All-Purpose Flour
- 2 tablespoons Cornmeal
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Garlic Herb Seasoning Blend
- 1/8 teaspoon Pepper
- Oil (for deep frying)
- Additional Salt and Pepper (optional)
How Much Time Will It Take To make Southern Fried Okra?
|Preparation Time||Cooking Time||Total Time|
|10 Minutes||5 Minutes||15 Minutes|
Steps To Make Southern Fried Okra
- Wash okra and pat dry using a paper towel. In a shallow bowl, add buttermilk. In another bowl. prepare a mixture of flour, cornmeal, salt, seasoning blend and pepper.
- Dip okra in buttermilk and then roll it in the bowl with cornmeal mixture.
- Using an electric skillet or fryer, fry okra in 375oF heated oil. Fry few pieces of okra at a time for 1-2 minutes on each side until golden brown. Drain them on a paper towel and season with salt and pepper.
- Serve immediately.
Nutritional Breakdown of Southern Fried Okra