South Indian tomato rice is a simple rice dish made with rice, lentils, tomatoes, and spices. It is a mixture of flavors and aromas. You can easily make it home in just half an hour.
South Indian tomato rice is a delicious rice dish and is healthy too. It has the goodness of lentils and tomato. It is not that spicy and uses aromatic ingredients like mustard seeds and ginger. You can serve it with plain yogurt.
To make South Indian tomato rice, soak rice and lentils in different bowls for 30 minutes. Heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds, green chilies, and ginger to it. Then, add turmeric powder and soaked lentils to it. Mix all of it. Now, add tomatoes, salt, soaked rice, and water to it. Cover it and cook it for about 15-20 minutes until all the water dries. Garnish with coriander leaves.
This was just an overview of the recipe. Find the complete recipe below. I highly recommend you to check the other rice recipes as well.
1. Jasmine Rice– This rice is famous all across South East Asia. It is a long-grain rice that is native to Thailand. As the name suggests, jasmine rice is lovely and subtly fragrant.
2. Spicy Tuna Rice– The combination of rice and tuna makes a perfectly balanced meal. The starch of the rice and protein from the tuna makes it balanced and healthy. This is a low-fat dish, even though it is a type of fried rice.
3. Carrot Rice– This recipe is a delicious and healthy recipe. It is made from sauteed vegetables, rice and spices. It is flavorful and aromatic. It is also really simple to make.
4. Turmeric Rice– Turmeric rice is a great and easy fried rice recipe with the goodness of turmeric and the flavors of other spices. It is really easy to make and is a great dish to make if you have leftover rice.
Ingredients Required for South Indian Tomato Rice
|Tomatoes (thickly chopped)||2|
|Split Black Gram||½ cup|
|Black Mustard Seeds||2 teaspoons|
|Green Chilies (chopped)||2-3|
|Ginger (chopped)||1 teaspoon|
|Turmeric Powder||½ teaspoon|
|Coriander Leaves (chopped)||2 tablespoons|
How much time it will take?
|Preparation Time||Cooking Time||Total Time|
|40 Minutes||30 Minutes||1 Hour 10 Minutes|
South Indian Tomato Rice Recipe
- Soak rice and lentils in different bowls for about half an hour.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds, green chillies and ginger to it and roast.
- Add turmeric powder and soaked lentils and mix it all. Now, add tomatoes, salt, soaked rice, and 2 cups water to it.
- Cover it and cook on a medium flame for about 15-20 minutes.
- Cook until all the water dries. Now, add coriander leaves and mix. Serve hot.
Nutritional Facts Of South Indian Tomato Rice Recipe