Souse is a light Caribbean dish which is served cold. It takes meat from different parts of pig-like feet, head, ears among others. There are many regional variations of Souse Meat ranging from soup to ceviche-like. Souse Meat made at home calls for various seasonings for flavour.
Well, this Souse Meat Recipe made at home is spicy and delicious. You have the hot sauce as well as crushed red flakes to spice up your food. Also, you have got the taste of beer in it. Homemade Souse Meat goes well with potato salad as well as any kind of cracker.
Pertinently, you should prefer long pig’s feet. Also, since Souse Meat is served cold and requires thorough cooking, it might take much time to make. But when you’ve made Souse Meat at home and taste it at the first instance, you would feel your efforts are worth it. So yummy and flavorful it is!
So, won’t you like to have such amazing food in your plates? If your mouth is watering now, make Souse Meat at home by going through below mentioned directions. Have fun while making Souse Meat at home!
Ingredients for making Souse Meat
|Pig’s feet||3 pounds|
|Chopped large onion||1|
|Beer bottle||1 (12 ounce size)|
|Divided white vinegar||3 1/2 cups|
|Crushed garlic||3 cloves|
|Hot sauce, divided||1 cup|
|Onion powder, divided||3 teaspoons|
|Crushed red pepper flakes||1/2 teaspoon|
|Black pepper||1 teaspoon|
How much time will it take?
|Preparation time||Cooking time||Chilling time||Total time|
|10 minutes||3 1/2 hours||3 hours||6 hours 40 minutes|
Souse Meat Recipe
- Take a large pot. Put pig’s feet, garlic, 1/2 cup of hot sauce, beer, 2 teaspoons onion powder, onion, 1 cup vinegar, salt and pepper.
- Let them boil until mixture is smooth and the liquidness has reduced. It would take about 3 1/2 hours.
- Next, let it cool after being cooked.
- Remove bones from pig’s feet and dice into small pieces.
- Stir in 1/2 cup of cooking liquid, remaining hot sauce, vinegar, crushed red pepper, and seasonings.
- Now, take a loaf pan and place the prepared food there.
- Cover it with saran wrap.
- Place in refrigerator for at least 3 hours.
- Serve then.
Nutritional Information of Souse Meat
|Total fats||18 g|
|Saturated fats||6 g|
|Total carbohydrates||9 g|
|Dietary fiber||1 g|