Souse meat is a Caribbean dish which you can easily make at your home. Here I am going to show you can make this meat delicacy at your home.
When I was in Scotland, I was invited to a feast by a local community there. They were making spicy meat which was named Souse meat. The meat was really tasty and I observed how they were making it very carefully. Let’s see how you can make this recipe.
Souse meat is made by boiling pig’s feet, garlic, hot sauce, beer, onion powder, salt and vinegar for 3 1/2 hours. Then remove bones from the meat and stir in cooking liquid, hot sauce, vinegar, pepper and seasonings. Take a loaf pan and place the prepared food there. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours and meat is ready.
You can also use tarragon vinegar for this recipe. Don’t have it? Here is a list of tarragon vinegar substitutes. This recipe was a little bit complicated for me when I was making it for the first time. So I recommend you follow the complete recipe below and then try making it. But here are some other amazing recipes that you should definitely try.
1. Haggis– Haggis is traditionally made with the sheep’s stomach filled with its heart, liver and tongue. This recipe is filled with some healthy nutrients like iron, magnesium, selenium, calcium, zinc and copper.
2. Jamaican Jerk Seasoning– This seasoning consists of Jamaican spices which are known for their great flavor and taste. This spice includes many ground spices like cinnamon, cumin, black pepper and many more which are known for their anti-inflammatory properties.
3. Barbacoa de Res– This Barbacoa De Res is a perfect meal for your boring Sundays. It is basically a Mexican traditional dish that people make mostly on special occasions.
4. Corn Nuggets Salmon Stir Fry– Make your own take-out quality stir fry at home with this Salmon Stir Fry recipe. This yummy Asian stir fry recipe is quick to make, high in protein, and packed with fresh vegetables.
Ingredients for Souse Meat
- 3 pounds of Pig’s Feet
- 1 (12-ounce size) Beer bottle
- 1 large chopped Onion
- 3 1/2 cups divided White Vinegar
- 1 cup Hot sauce
- 3 cloves Garlic (Crushed)
- 2 tsp Salt
- 3 tsp Onion Powder
- 1 tsp Black Pepper
- 1/2 tsp crushed Red Pepper flakes
- 1 Bay Leaf
These are all the ingredients you will need to make souse meat. If you’re then having these ingredients at your home, you can easily get them at a nearby supermarket. Try to get long pig’s feet.
How Much Time Will It Take To Make Souse Meat?
|Preparation Time||Cooking Time||Chilling Time||Total Time|
|10 mins||3 1/2 hours||3 hours||6 hours 40 mins|
This recipe will take a little extra time as the meat has to be cooked properly. Now let’s see the steps to make Souse meat.
Steps to Make Souse Meat
- Take a large pot. Put pig’s feet, garlic, 1/2 cup of hot sauce, beer, 2 teaspoons onion powder, onion, 1 cup vinegar, salt and pepper.
- Let them boil until the mixture is smooth and the liquidness has reduced. It would take about 3 1/2 hours.
- Next, let it cool after being cooked.
- Remove bones from pig’s feet and dice them into small pieces.
- Stir in 1/2 cup of cooking liquid, remaining hot sauce, vinegar, crushed red pepper, and seasonings.
- Now, take a loaf pan and place the prepared food there.
- Cover it with saran wrap.
- Place in refrigerator for at least 3 hours.
- Serve then.
Nutritional Breakdown of Souse Meat
For all gym freaks and diet conscious people, here is the complete nutritional breakdown of souse meat.
|Total fats||18 g|
|Saturated fats||6 g|
|Total carbohydrates||9 g|
|Dietary fiber||1 g|
How to Make Souse Meat at Home | Video
If you think the recipe was complicated, then make sure you refer the video below to make the perfect Souse Meat.
Make this recipe at your home and tell us your reviews in the comment section below.